Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

9 speed transmission fluid change procedure

108K views 115 replies 44 participants last post by  Nail Grease 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Does anyone have/can tell me where to get the transmission fluid change procedure for the 2016+ Touring/Elite 9 speed transmission fluid?

I know I am going to get a few ?life time? fluid arguments but not looking for an argument just the procedure or any place to find it.

Thanks!

#22 · (Edited)
It's not an easy DIY, and it would be a shame to void warranty, but per request:

View attachment 115809
Thanks for the Procedures Wanderer. Seems straight forward using OEM fluids from the dealer. and doing it a couple times with a few thousand miles to evacuate 'most' of the fluid/replacement. The toughest part is*ATF*Temperature reading. :13: Does anyone know of an OBDII or other system access tool that would give trans temp?

#4 ·
There's a guy in YouTube who goes by Brooklyn Bionic. He has a video on a 2014 MDX doing the tranny fluid change. I'm not able to watch it with audio and also not sure if he has the 6 or 9 speed at the moment. From the looks of it, it's as simple as an oil change.

#7 ·
9-speed uses HONDA OEM ATF-TYPE 3.1 fluid P/N:08200-9017 runs around $40 per quart, you will need 4 quarts for one drain/fill. Transmission must be at a certain temperature range when checking fluid level. Not your typical transmission service.

#12 ·
One of the advantages of having the 9 speed trans replaced, free fluid change :)

I guess that buys "this monkey" a few extra miles before it is due and he has to decide to DIY or DIFM

Reactions: Yoda
#14 ·
I guess I used too many big words. This special ATF expands A LOT with heating. The scan tool is to use the vehicle ATF temperature sensor so you can get the temp into a narrow range. You also have to spin up the torque converter and check the level quickly before things settle again. Might be a bit easier on a lift with a helper rather than lying on your back under the vehicle.

But I never said it would be impossible to DIY this ATF fluid change. I just dont know why anyone would want to unless they are stranded on a desert island with their Pilot, thousands of miles from the nearest Honda dealer.

But like poorman, I too have some time to think about that, cuz I got new ATF at 40k miles nicely enclosed in a new transmission.

#15 ·
Plus the 9 speed does not have a dip stick to check the fluid level, unlike the 6 speed that does.

#17 ·
Now boys, let's play nice.

Does anyone know if Honda recommends flushing the ZF tranny while doing a fluid change? I could have sworn that my Service Foreman told me they do this. One thing for sure, even though I do most of my own maintenance on our vehicles, if I still have our Pilot when the next service needs to be done I will take it to my dealer & have it done. In the meantime, like Poorman, Wanderer, & several others, I got mine done for free with the tranny change @ 35,000 miles. Gotta love it... :grin:

#18 ·
I'm a gear head and decent mechanic and have played with and raced cars and bikes for many years (35 or so). I may be over simplifying, but specs say a 9 speed fluid change in my Pilot Elite takes 3.5 quarts ATF Type 3.1. If you let the Pilot and new fluid bottles sit in the same garage for 24 hours to stabilize the temps and then you drain the fluid in a measurable container and put that exact same amount back in, how could this be complicated?

You have removed the thermal expansion variance by both the old and new fluid being the same temp. You have removed the need to measure because you replaced the used fluid with the same amount of the new fluid. What am I missing here?

#23 ·
I have the exact same question as i am due, if I take out 3.4 and fill 3.4, do I need to go thru the whole procedure of putting the car in VSA diagnostic mode, then run the car and switchgear 1thru4 and then increase the temp to 104F to check the levels yet I have replaced the ATF with the exact amount. the fear is the warranty issue

#19 ·
That sounds reasonable. Of course, those are famous last words. At the end of the day, it's your car, do what you want.

Usually it's recommended to change ATF or engine oil after the vehicle has been driven so that more of the particulates are suspended.

FWIW, it looks like checking ATF level in the Chrysler manufactured ZF 9-speed is just as convoluted as the Honda instructions for the ZF manufactured unit. But it looks like some Chrysler vehicles are nice enough to give you the ATF temp through the display.

#20 ·
That sounds reasonable. Of course, those are famous last words. At the end of the day, it's your car, do what you want.

Usually it's recommended to change ATF or engine oil after the vehicle has been driven so that more of the particulates are suspended.

FWIW, it looks like checking ATF level in the Chrysler manufactured ZF 9-speed is just as convoluted as the Honda instructions for the ZF manufactured unit. But it looks like some Chrysler vehicles are nice enough to give you the ATF temp through the display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_KZ_E_QzpU
I did notice the total capacity of the transmission is actually over 7 quarts. So a "fluid change" really only "changes" about 50% of the ATF Type 3.1.

#24 ·
if you are going to DYI, post #18 is the way to go. Get the temps of old and new fluid the same by letting the car sit in a garage with new fluid bottles overnight; drain and refill. Try to avoid a day with wild temperature swings so to negate any fluid expansion issues. Obviously, dealers can't do that - speed is the name of the game so they have to know the temp of the fluid and its corresponding volume whatever it might be. Realize also, that the ambient temp at which you are doing the change will be well below the operating temp of the trans (assuming you aren't in death valley). Otherwise, if the fluid expanded so great at temps below 100F, the bottles of fluid would be bursting on shelves.

#25 ·
Its finally done!! at the dealership and they charged me C$120 in labour. by buying my own fluids cheaper@acura I saved C$140. The challenge is you need to monitor the ATF temp by driving the car and changing gears 1-4 and on idle all while the car is suspended then add ATF oil to level. As suggested above you could leave the fluid in the garage to acclimate the temp to the ATF in the car but the risk I see there is draining cold Vs warm liquid, more will come out when warm Vs Cold.

The car is 3.5 years old and @85K KM (53K miles)

#26 ·
I had my 1st tranny fluid changed at the dealership. And i was standing right there when the guy did it. So all he did is removed the drain plug. Let it drain fo 30 min or so till the last dropp. Thn put the plug back and ppfull 3.5 quarters of the atf 3.0 fluid. Its been 20k after that. I got no problems.
Now after reading the pdf attachment. Im so lost. Did he do the job right? . He didn't do any of the steps to check level after the refill.

#32 ·
I had my 1st tranny fluid changed at the dealership. And i was standing right there when the guy did it. So all he did is removed the drain plug. Let it drain fo 30 min or so till the last dropp. Thn put the plug back and ppfull 3.5 quarters of the atf 3.0 fluid. Its been 20k after that. I got no problems.
Now after reading the pdf attachment. Im so lost. Did he do the job right? . He didn't do any of the steps to check level after the refill.
There are other similar videos, but this one is very comprehensive by a trusted name in automotive engineering. It's the level check for the ZF 8 speed, but procedure is same for the 9 speed, and the full fluid change is somewhat more complicated than just checking the level:

Short answer is that old-school mechanics who think they can just do whatever they want and did 20 years or more ago on modern cars without reading and explicitly following the manufacturer's procedures have no business working at a dealership, let alone on any of these new cars. It's just asking for serious trouble down the road.

I would find a new dealership ASAP.

#27 ·
The problem I see filling the amount that comes out (making sure outbound and inbound fluid are the same temperature), or using the quantity specified in the manual, is you’re taking the leap of faith the tranny fluid was filled to the correct level the last time the fluid change was performed (or that it was filled to the correct level at the factory). My Tacoma utilizes a similar tranny fluid fill procedure. From reading about the posts on that forum some percentage of trannys were underfilled at the factory and required more than the amount specified in the manual to get to the correct level. If you add an auxiliary tranny cooler, but don’t add additional fluid after the install, you will be in the same boat.

In short I would be more inclined to follow the procedure specified in the service manual. On the Tacoma it’s a small pain, mainly being cognizant to keep clear of the hot exhaust pipe, but doable in your garage on your back under the rig.

To the above poster, if your tranny is the six speed and the tech checked the level with the dipstick you’re okay. If your tranny is >6 speeds then I would address the concern on following Honda’s procedure on your next tranny fluid change. Since 20k miles have passed and you haven’t had any issues there probably isn’t much need to worry.

#30 ·
You will need to account for the fluid volume of the tranny cooler and added hoses, plus any fluid which leaks out during the install.

Reactions: MtMan
#31 ·
Changing the ZF 9 speed ATF is a lot simpler than most people realize. Yes, you want to drain the fluid hot, after the vehicle has been driven. That will help make sure the metal particles and foreign material in the transmission are suspended in the fluid on draining as much as possible. The next two steps are critical: first, let the drained ATF cool down to the same temperature as the new fluid. This ensures thermal expansion of both are the same. Then measure the old fluid in a container with accurate markings down to the tenths of a litre. Alternatively you can weigh the old fluid and replace with the same weight of new fluid, and not need to worry about thermal expansion. If you are at all concerned that the fluid level is wrong, get the dealer to do the fluid level check procedure before you change your ATF.

#36 ·
Your logic works if the correct amount of fluid was in the tranny prior to draining it. What about if the fluid level was low or high to begin with?

#37 ·
Road2cycle you must assume that the factory fill was correct during manufacturing and if there are no leaks I think measuring what comes out and replacing that amount is a sound way to swap old fluid. I do 99.9 percent of my own service and I feel very comfortable using this method. Especially if you know the vehicle. If I did not do the service or if I purchased a used vehicle I definitely agree with your statement. I love my vehicle more than the dealer or a tech,even though it is just a car.

#39 ·
Totally agree. Funny bc the folks who are concerned about the amount of fluid from factory are driving the car 10s of thousands of miles without worry or issue. If it were an issue we’d see it and folks would be checking fluid soon after purchase. Also confirmed by dealerships doing the drain and fill method. While I have not measured, what is the volume change between cold and hot fluid? Is this some super fluid tha grows and shrink by temp? If so, would pilots sold in northern Canada have more fluid than those sold at the Mexican border?
Look at Gm rear fluid issues. Folks change fluid soon after purchase.... not so with Honda.

#38 ·
New to the forum Just picked up a 16 elite last year. Maintenance for trans fluid change came up. Pretty straight forward simple process. I drain just about 3.5 quart when measured and put the same amount back in. After the engine warm up I a bit of overflow not much then I just closed to back up. So far so good but I don't really drive it much as it my wife /kids hauler.

#42 ·
Did you try it in "S" transmission mode as the 2016 service manual says to do? If you were reading 105-117 on the pan, then I would guess your transmission fluid was even higher than that. Perhaps your fluid was within the allowed range of 99-113 though?

#43 ·
Did you try it in "S" transmission mode as the 2016 service manual says to do? If you were reading 105-117 on the pan, then I would guess your transmission fluid was even higher than that. Perhaps your fluid was within the allowed range of 99-113 though?
Pretty sure the fluid was good as I did the little extra so I could let it drizzle out the overflow. Since I was doing it myself didn’t want to go back and fourth filling. When your in VSA mode like I stated. Thats only when you can put it in sport mode to shift. So it will not let you pass 3rd gear don’t know if that like a fail safe thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.