Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the following problem with their 2016 Honda Pilot Touring w/9 speed transmission?

I was on the highway driving 75 on cruise control and wanted to pass another car so I could exit for the restroom. So I stomped on the accelerator, not turning off cruise, and my car went into a reboot mode! I lost all power and the dashboard lit up light the Vegas night strip! I tried several times to increase my speed and nothing, then the car restarted with the engine revving up. Missing a semi-truck passing on my right, I got off the highway safely.

The dashboard displayed the following screens:
Emission System Problem
Transmission System Problem
All Wheel Drive System Problem
The "D" on the dashboard was flashing along with the check engine light.

Fortunately, I was able to take a video of the dashboard when I was driving it into the restroom stop. I sat there for 15 minutes and restarted the car. We turned back around and limped it home.

I am taking it to the dealer this Friday, 28 Aug 2020 for a TCM software update. I researched and discovered several service bulletins about the 9-Speed Transmission and Pilot models (16-008, 19-004, 19-124). Specifically focusing on 19-004, describes my problem exactly;
BACKGROUND:

During a downshift from 9th or 8th gear to 7th gear or lower, A miscalculation in the TCM software causes the MIL to come on with DTC P0716, input shaft [mainshaft] speed sensor [range/performance]. AND yes I threw a P0716 code.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Only had the Emissions system problem early on and fixed by replacing rails and injectors. Hope your issues are minor and not costly. I am a little scared of the transmission as the car approaching five years old, even though not that many kms (67,000 km). Keep us posted for that please.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts