Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at getting the transmission cooler for my 9 speed on my 18 touring awd. Looking online it says the original part has been discontinued. Is there an aftermarket one that works for the 9 speed? Wasnt looking forward to paying $400 (possibly plus install) for it anyway when aftermarket ones for 6 speed are like $50-75.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have also seen that on some different Honda store parts departments that the 9 speed transmission cooler was discontinued. Other sites still list it with no mention of it being discontinued.

Not sure if it is something each store can decide not to carry or if once they deplete their inventory of it they decided not to stock any more. Strange because the factory rating for towing is 5000 lbs only on an AWD with the cooler added from everything I have read.

Reactions: zmarke01

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
I was looking at getting the transmission cooler for my 9 speed on my 18 touring awd. Looking online it says the original part has been discontinued. Is there an aftermarket one that works for the 9 speed? Wasnt looking forward to paying $400 (possibly plus install) for it anyway when aftermarket ones for 6 speed are like $50-75.
You can order this part below, which includes shipping. Something like this, I would encourage you to spend the extra $$ on OEM seeing that if something gets fu*ked up with the tranny cause of at fluid level or god know what, that’ll cost you much more. IMO.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You can order this part below, which includes shipping. Something like this, I would encourage you to spend the extra $$ on OEM seeing that if something gets fu*ked up with the tranny cause of at fluid level or god know what, that’ll cost you much more. IMO.
Yes, the 9 speed cooler in that drop down box is what some sites are saying is discontinued.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking more into it looks like the 06255-5EZ-316 original part number may have been replaced with 06224-5J4-010. Still was hoping for an after market part cheaper. new part is still $375 and local dealer said installed just under $800. Seems pricey when the 6speed aftermarket one is as low as $40 on etrailer.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The older version 06255-5EZ-316 is still available doing a Google search of that part number. It is under $300.00 ($280.00) on some sites if you wanted to stay with a Honda part. Of course you have to figure shipping unless you are able to have a local dealer match the price or come close.

Not sure what the difference is now, especially for $80.00 or more dollars for the newer version. Haven't been able to find any install instructions yet for the new version, just for the older one.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
10 Posts
I am a very experienced home mechanic having done several timing belts and engine installs. I bought the 9sp OEM cooler 06255-5EZ-316 for $300. Installed it myself including the lengthy procedure to check the transmission fluid. I would recommend it for experienced mechanics only, even with the instructions it wasn't easy, it takes hand strength and having the right combination of tools to get the transmission warmer fasteners off to replace the hard ATF tubing with the 2 new hard tubing parts that has quick connects for the cooler lines. I felt $300 was a fair price for the parts. This isn't one of those rubber lines you can just cut and splice in a cooler, it's engineered pretty well and I don't think the aftermarket could make one better or cheaper. I've attached the parts diagram and circled in Red the quick connects. They work like a shop air hose connection, but are only good for the one time push in.
Auto part Text Diagram Design Line

·
Registered
922 Posts
Did you end up taking the front bumper off as the installation instructions say to do? I believe there was one owner here who managed to do the install without removing the bumper.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
10 Posts
You don’t have to, but makes for a more “trickier” install, not to mention requiring quite “bendable” hands.
It would definitely be a lot easier with the bumper off. The cooler installation instructions said to take the small lower grille off. I tried, but I was worried about breaking off the plastic tabs, so I did the "bendable hands" options through the bottom of the bumper cover. I took my time and got scraped up a little but still happy with saving money and knowing it was done right.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
It would definitely be a lot easier with the bumper off. The cooler installation instructions said to take the small lower grille off. I tried, but I was worried about breaking off the plastic tabs, so I did the "bendable hands" options through the bottom of the bumper cover. I took my time and got scraped up a little but still happy with saving money and knowing it was done right.
Agreed, popping those “tabs” when removing the bumper, no matter how many times you do it is quite the nerve racking experience. I found one of those trim removal kits, like $22 for a full set on Amazon seems to help it along...ever so slightly.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
10 Posts
Agreed, popping those “tabs” when removing the bumper, no matter how many times you do it is quite the nerve racking experience. I found one of those trim removal kits, like $22 for a full set on Amazon seems to help it along...ever so slightly.
The clips I tried to undo were just for the lower grill insert in the front bumper. It would have helped if that was out of the way. Reaching up from the bottom, I got a few of the clips to release but it was still attached on both ends and I couldn't find the screws shown in the diagram (maybe Black Edition is different than the diagram?) so I didn't jiggle or pull on it too hard before trying to do all the work from under the bumper. It was do-able once I jacked the front up a littler higher off the ground so I could slide under and roll around a little easier. CollegeHillsHonda.com has the honda install PDF's on the parts page for all the towing package parts (hitch, wiring, cooler, hands free adapter) 2019-2020 Genuine Honda Pilot Towing Accessories

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.