Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a new 2016 AWD Touring in late March 2016, just over 250 miles on it now. No issues yet with the 9-sp AT gear-hunting or surge while driving in normal mode. Seems Honda has patched the issue for most older builds and the more recently manufactured 2016's come with the transmission software already fixed. HOWEVER, when driving in Sport mode (D/S toggled, not paddle shifting), I am noticing two things: chunky downshifts when foot comes off the gas; and intermittent braking "sensation" when braking to a stop.

We don't observe either issue when driving in normal mode, just the Sport mode.

I am willing to attribute the chunky downshifts to the shift mapping in Sport going for more of a "manual" feel, but I'm still curious if the recent tranny software fix has left some issues unresolved in Sport mode only, e.g., shift mapping or rev matching problems that result in too much engine braking when foot comes off the gas at around 30-40 MPH.

The braking while in Sport mode is a bigger issue. The "sensation" is that the braking power is coming on and off during deceleration, i.e., moments of deceleration and moments of coasting. This is when I apply constant or even increasing pressure on the pedal, I'm not pumping it and there is no physical feedback or pulsing from the pedal itself. My hunch is that the issue is related to the downshifting issue in Sport mode, since braking feels totally smooth while in normal drive mode. Could it be they fixed a rev matching software problem in normal mode, but left a problem unaddressed in Sport mode?

Took the car into the dealer and the tech was able to reproduce the issues. Tech also drove another Touring that was on the lot and said he felt the same issue. They don't have any fix available for this and could only suggest that I break the car in more and wait to see if Honda pushes out further software patches.

Anybody else having these issues?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes I do have these issues especially when driving in sports mode and in non-Eco mode! With Eco mode I don't see much diff., but I can feel the jerking effect when slowing down, this I started noticing after my tranny replacement in 2016 pilot touring.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have 26k miles and the sports mode braking on and off, sensation, does not go away. It's bad sensation and I use S mode only when accelerating and push to D when decelerating. Otherwise it feels like another car is pushing you while you are trying to brake. Whatever it is I hope Honda has a fix for it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yup... Its on my elite... Its how honda does sports mode.... Same on Acura.... If you have 9 speed, should understand that in the first 2 gears are dog gears. Pretty normal

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yup... Its on my elite... Its how honda does sports mode.... Same on Acura.... If you have 9 speed, should understand that in the first 2 gears are dog gears. Pretty normal
That's not accurate. The dog clutches are used for the 4-5 and 8-9 shifts. I believe this was the cause (in my opinion, I'm not an expert) of the surging during downshifting that was part of the TSB.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's not accurate. The dog clutches are used for the 4-5 and 8-9 shifts. I believe this was the cause (in my opinion, I'm not an expert) of the surging during downshifting that was part of the TSB.
Which TSB was that? Our touring has that surging as it downshifts problem...have to constantly adjust brake pressure as you stop although I've gotten used to it, still would be nice to fix that problem if there is a fix for it now.

I'll add it to my list of things for them to update and fix when I eventually bring it in.
Regarding the thread topic...I don't even use sport mode because it makes it even harder drive smoothly. definitely needs a fix.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
TSB 16-008 for surging and hesitation. Released 2/2016, but vehicles built prior to that time may have the updated software from the factory. IMO the software update is an improvement, but it doesn't completely solve the problems. Shifts that involve the dog clutches are, well, a dog! They take an abnormally long time to complete. There is only so much software can do to mitigate this behavior.

I agree that S-mode is even less smooth than Drive mode. I rarely use it. Sometimes I use it to play with the paddles on mountain passes, in manual sequential mode, but that is a rare treat. But S-mode is less likely to get caught flat in merging situations, even in auto mode.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nope doesn't look like it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1U8hSIYa_c

24 Minute and forward.

A Dog clutch is applied 1-7th gear
B Dog clutch is applied 1-4th gear

I thought A dog clutch works through 1st and 2nd gear based on naming convention. Probably why this tranny is so jerky between 4 through 5 because that is when both or one of the clutches engages / disengages respectively.... 7 and 8 is when the B dog clutch engages and full disengage, respectively. 9 is probably some overdrive gear that probably doesn't get used so much.....

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
9-sp AT downshift & braking issues in SPORT mode only?

In normal "Drive", the Pilot putters along in surprisingly high gears on the highway. 9th does get used. A lot. Anything over 45mph, and it's probably in 7 or 8. Yank a paddle to see the gear number displayed on the MID. So for passing on the highway, almost certain to do at least one of those slow transitions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts