Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it’s been 9 months since I bought my 2016 Pilot AWD ex-l. I was pretty disappointed at first since I got a lemon. Had Multiple dash lights, plus p430/304 code. Thanks to this forum, (Nailgrease, Daltongang, Hondamon, etc) I was able to get the Pilot up and running like new. the work I’ve done so far:
New injectors, added SVCM, new pcv valve, added oil catch can. Added transmission cooler, brake controller, oem hitch, and wiring.
and yeah Pilot is running great.

Also had the chance to test the snow handling in the snowpocalypse we had here in Denver a few weeks ago. Handles great in snow mode.

Towing... I’m towing a 2900 lbs RPOD. Close to 3200 when loaded. (Dry tanks though) I took it to Green river UT, last weekend. Getting there was easy. For some reason coming back felt more like a struggle for the Pilot. I was going 40mph and 4000rpms for a bit on vail pass and Loveland pass.
and just for a better Context, I was towing with empty tanks both ways. Wasn’t trying to go too fast and kept it at comfortable rpms at all times. Also used only premium gas when towing.
But overall it did great. I understand the limits of the v6 at high altitude so I’m not too concerned.

anyways, long story short... I’m happy with the Pilot. Thanks to everyone that so generously share their knowledge in this forum.
cheers!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, it’s been 9 months since I bought my 2016 Pilot AWD ex-l. I was pretty disappointed at first since I got a lemon. Had Multiple dash lights, plus p430/304 code. Thanks to this forum, (Nailgrease, Daltongang, Hondamon, etc) I was able to get the Pilot up and running like new. the work I’ve done so far:
New injectors, added SVCM, new pcv valve, added oil catch can. Added transmission cooler, brake controller, oem hitch, and wiring.

Also had the chance to test the snow handling in the snowpocalypse we had here in Denver a few weeks ago. Handles great in snow mode.

Towing... I’m towing a 2900 lbs RPOD. Close to 3200 when loaded. (Dry tanks though) I took it to Green river UT, last weekend. Getting there was easy. For some reason coming back felt more like a struggle for the Pilot. I was going 40mph and 4000rpms for a bit on vail pass and Loveland pass.
and just for a better Context, I was towing with empty tanks both ways. Wasn’t trying to go too fast and kept it at comfortable rpms at all times. Also used only premium gas when towing.
But overall it did great. I understand the limits of the v6 at high altitude so I’m not too concerned.

anyways, long story short... I’m happy with the Pilot. Thanks to everyone that so generously share their knowledge in this forum.
cheers!
what is the oil catch can for...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the oil catch can for...
Found a lot of oil in the intake manifold when changing the injectors. At the time I did not now if it was just a bad pcv valve, or anything else that could be causing the blow by.
so I just put a new pcv valve and installed the catch can. I check the can every few weeks, and its always empty or just has a few drops. So I might remove it someday.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD, 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
50 Posts

cheers!
Great news!

I hope you got the injectors done under warranty and, if not, got a refund from the dealer. The latest TSBs should cover your car now and dealers are giving refunds to people who had injectors replaced before the TSB was announced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks for offering your perspective. I'm moving to the Denver area this year and am considering towing a camper from time to time for the first time ever. I knew going through the mountains would be tough going, but this helps me see what "tough" may look like.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I watch TFL do their towing videos up the Ike Gauntlet... I think your trailer is as heavy as I'd want on a Pilot going up or down (especially down) that area. Glad to hear you are content keeping it happy and not going the speed limit the whole time.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great news!

I hope you got the injectors done under warranty and, if not, got a refund from the dealer. The latest TSBs should cover your car now and dealers are giving refunds to people who had injectors replaced before the TSB was announced.

I wish, I replaced the injectors myself so I wont get any money back. Maybe if I find my receipt for the injectors ill get at least that back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for offering your perspective. I'm moving to the Denver area this year and am considering towing a camper from time to time for the first time ever. I knew going through the mountains would be tough going, but this helps me see what "tough" may look like.
Yeah is not too bad. Most part of the trip I was doing 65-70mph. I got new goodyear endurance tires on the trailer before I left. So in theory I could’ve even gone faster.
I just didn’t want to push it. And those 2 passes (vail and loveland) were the only times I had to go really slow. (40-45mph)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I watch TFL do their towing videos up the Ike Gauntlet... I think your trailer is as heavy as I'd want on a Pilot going up or down (especially down) that area. Glad to hear you are content keeping it happy and not going the speed limit the whole time.
I agree, it’s even a bit too much for me. Im already thinking how to loose some weight, 2500 lbs would be easier for the pilot at 10000ft. we stayed one night in Rifle gap, and I could definitely feel the weight of the trailer on the way down the mountains. I had to stop to adjust the brake controller. it was much better the last 160 miles.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Glad your trip was successful. 😁
I'm not sure what all was said in first discussion, but I'd check the condition of the ATF after the trip (color/smell). Especially if your still running with Honda DW-1.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad your trip was successful. 😁
I'm not sure what all was said in first discussion, but I'd check the condition of the ATF after the trip (color/smell). Especially if your still running with Honda DW-1.
Yeap still running dw-1. Strongly thinking about switching to valvoline maxlife though.
will probably do a drain and fill regardless this weekend. Thanks for help nailgrease!

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Yeap still running dw-1. Strongly thinking about switching to valvoline maxlife though.
will probably do a drain and fill regardless this weekend. Thanks for help nailgrease!
If/When you make the switch, I'd recomend 2 D&Fs (drive a few miles between). This will get you just above 50% VML.
Glad we could help.

Reactions: JZEZ

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD, 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
50 Posts
I wish, I replaced the injectors myself so I wont get any money back. Maybe if I find my receipt for the injectors ill get at least that back.
Hopefully. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Found a lot of oil in the intake manifold when changing the injectors. At the time I did not now if it was just a bad pcv valve, or anything else that could be causing the blow by.
so I just put a new pcv valve and installed the catch can. I check the can every few weeks, and its always empty or just has a few drops. So I might remove it someday.
Wonder if the oil in the intake manifold would reappear if you weren't using the SVCM device?

Most part of the trip I was doing 65-70mph. I got new goodyear endurance tires on the trailer before I left. So in theory I could’ve even gone faster.
I just didn’t want to push it. And those 2 passes (vail and loveland) were the only times I had to go really slow. (40-45mph)
Note that the owner's manual advises to not exceed 55mph when towing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts