Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks:

I just had my 7500 mi. servicing last Saturday at Walnut Creek, CA. They charged me $79.95 (for oil-change, tire rotation, top all fluids, inspection etc. etc.).

More importantly I mentioned to them that I have this problem with the "Clicking sound from the front left" only on rare occasions. I showed him the TSB that talked about that problem specifically. He was very reluctant to do anything about it. First of, he was asking saying things like:
1. Just because there is a TSB, we will not perform any repair work
2. TSB does not mean that all vehicles have this problem (even when I told him that I do expereince this problem, though not consistently)
3. Its not a recall

I did not like the attitude of this person (I do not want to generalize since the dealership is generally known to be quite good)

Then I asked him about a car-wash (whether it would be included as part of servicing). He flatly refused and said "Frankly they do car-washes only for major services like when customers spend 500+ dollars)". I think the fact that I did not purcahse the vehicle from this dealership did not help.

I asked if they could fit my rear-splash guards. He said sure "That would be $42 just for installation). Just for screwing it in. I said "Thanks but I will install it myself"

All in all, not a very pleasant experience.

Thanks for letting me vent !!!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I think I'd be looking for another dealership who's more interested in your business and in keeping you as a customer.

Plus, doesn't $79.95 seem a tad steep for what was done?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ziploc said:
I think I'd be looking for another dealership who's more interested in your business and in keeping you as a customer.

Plus, doesn't $79.95 seem a tad steep for what was done?
Yes, it certainly does sound high. But I compared it with another dealership in Concord who quoted the same price for the 7500 mi. service.

I asked them why the price is so high for just an oil-change and tire-rotation. Their response: "That is our standard price for 7500 mi. where we top-off all fluids, check belts, check this and check that". Basically I felt like their attitude was "Take it or leave it. We don't care".

I am definitely going to look for another dealership in the area. I know TheWorm had a bad experience at Concord but am not sure if their service department is as bad as their sales.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
fine so maybe thats teh going rate in the bay area....afterall its all market driven. However they can give a car wash , if a customer asks its not asking them for gold :3: :3: :3:

guess its just bad service. Try another dealership next time

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Never been to Concord Honda for service. Ours always were @ WC, but as you know a Honda rarely visits the service department. Might be worth trying Concord based on that experience @ WC. I'd call their Service Manager or GM and let them know you weren't happy with the treatment. Sorry to hear it sucked.

FWIW, I've found that both my Lexus and Acura dealers hate when I show up with a TSB in hand. I actually saw a Lexus tech chuckle and throw one in the garbage when I had (still have) a headliner click/pop. Boy, did that piss me off.

Anyway, I've changed strategies and just go in with an explanation of the problem/symptoms, and of course use some of the keywords from the TSB ("when I go over bumps, it sounds like the suspension isn't seated properly, and pops into place, like metal on metal popping/rubbing, from the top of the wheel well, blah blah blah"), but don't mention the solution/TSB itself and figure I've given enough hints without making them feel like I'm doing their job for them, which apparently they really hate.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheWorm said:
Never been to Concord Honda for service. Ours always were @ WC, but as you know a Honda rarely visits the service department. Might be worth trying Concord based on that experience @ WC. I'd call their Service Manager or GM and let them know you weren't happy with the treatment. Sorry to hear it sucked.

FWIW, I've found that both my Lexus and Acura dealers hate when I show up with a TSB in hand. I actually saw a Lexus tech chuckle and throw one in the garbage when I had (still have) a headliner click/pop. Boy, did that piss me off.

Anyway, I've changed strategies and just go in with an explanation of the problem/symptoms, and of course use some of the keywords from the TSB ("when I go over bumps, it sounds like the suspension isn't seated properly, and pops into place, like metal on metal popping/rubbing, from the top of the wheel well, blah blah blah"), but don't mention the solution/TSB itself and figure I've given enough hints without making them feel like I'm doing their job for them, which apparently they really hate.
Thats very true Worm. Now that you mention, I am fairly certain that the fact that I showed up with the TSB and mentioned about the solution before explaining the problem, must have pissed him off. Unknowingly, I went in under the impression that the problem that I was experiencing had been definitively solved under that TSB and the dealer/service should just apply that solution. Guess I was wrong. He was unwilling to do it until they could confirm the problem for themselves and for that they said they would have to keep the vehicle for a long time (read 3-4 days) so that a technician could drive it around on the weekends to see if they can hear the clicking sound. When I mentioned to him that I could not leave the car on the weekend, he did not even mention about a loaner or anything. Based on the 'car-wash' denial, I did not ask him about it either.

Well, water under the bridge. Will try to call the GM over there and express my disapppointment.

Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I was charged $79 but they washed it too.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Birdman said:
Be glad you got away from it for $79. My dealer charged $151 for the 7500 service!
$151 for that service ? Where was that ?

·
Registered
804 Posts
$80 for 7500 check

I was charged the same price at Pacific Honda (San Diego) for what what sounds like the same service.

I did mention the sagging leather seat, the cell phone door not staying at 45 degrees, the rear right window switch sticking in the up position and of course the window scrunch. I forgot the alignment and the starting problem. I'll just go back if it gets bad.

The service advisor claims that three other called in sick, but he was fairly responsive. He said that he has no problem billing Honda for problems that can be fixed. He said that Honda wants to make me happy.

By the way, don't lie about where you bought your Pilot. They know.

After I pick up the little Honda on 4/15, I'll see how much they actually charge me, and what they actually fix.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Could I interest you guys into buying a bridge?:D

I don't think the pilot really needed any visual checks unless you take it off-road every weekend.

Just an idea, remember those Honda "report card surveys" that they make a point in explaining that anything other than an excellent rating would mean failure for that service department? hmmm...payback?:2:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Less than 7500 miles?

I took my Pilot in with a coupon for $21.95 service I'd received from my selling dealer suggesting I consider whether my vehicle should be serviced under the "Severe Conditions" schedule (3750 miles, I think). After the horrid winter we've had here, at 4200 miles, we decided to take it in (plus I needed warranty work done on my sick radio). The service included oil/filter change, lube, and "19-point" inspection. I don't believe a tire rotation was included; and I really don't think one is needed yet.

At the next service, when I presume they'll also do the tire rotation and top off fluids, it'll be interesting to see if I get charged that seeming standard $79.95.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
TheWorm said:

FWIW, I've found that both my Lexus and Acura dealers hate when I show up with a TSB in hand.
Any idea why?

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
florida_guy said:

Any idea why?
I suppose to some of them it could imply that one thinks they're too stupid/incompetent to diagnose, research and fix a problem :confused:

I originally had thought it demonstrated a "shared interest and enthusiasm" for the car. In all fairness, unlike the Lexus dealer who laughed-then-roundfiled-then-didn't-fix-a-thing, the Acura dealer was more professional in letting me know about it: "Mr. Worm, you don't need to research the fixes yourself, that's what we're paid to do. Don't worry, we'll find them." Big difference.

Maybe like going to the doctor with a healthcentral.com printout on the disease and cure that you've self-determined you've got.

Like I said, clearly articulated problems (sprinkled with keywords from a TSB, if one applies) seems to be preferable. Probably wouldn't apply if you're having an independent mechanic doing the work rather than the dealer, who'd appreciate the time-saver I bet :4:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
TheWorm said:
I suppose to some of them it could imply that one thinks they're too stupid/incompetent to diagnose, research and fix a problem :confused:
Ahh... Hmm... Well, so much for trying to be helpful. :confused:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
florida_guy said:

Any idea why?

Maybe some would not like to see a TSB in hand because it means the owner has done a little research and can't be quite as "snowed" as others. :confused:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Sage said:

Maybe some would not like to see a TSB in hand because it means the owner has done a little research and can't be quite as "snowed" as others. :confused:
That was my first thought. Of course, if that is the reason it does not bode well for the honesty of the place.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Sage said:

Yep, that could be, too. Makes the "uh, that's normal" diagnosis difficult to pass off. Doesn't eliminate the "could not duplicate" excuse, of course. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I bought my Pilot from Autowest Honda, Automall Fremont CA, I bought the service warranty for upto 60000 mile with one service every 5000 miles. The warranty cost me $400 (so comes upto $33.33 per service). I have aprox. 3000 mile on my Pilot, so I have to wait for a little while before I take my Pilot for servicing.

Did anyone of you guys have bought the same kind of warranty, and if you have what kind of experiences you have with it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
tmt said:
When I bought my Pilot from Autowest Honda, Automall Fremont CA, I bought the service warranty for upto 60000 mile with one service every 5000 miles. The warranty cost me $400 (so comes upto $33.33 per service).
Does this include the more expensive 15K, 30K, and 60K service that costs anywhere from $199 to $500 (approx) each? Or, is it just oil change and maybe tire rotation?:confused: :confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts