Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
I have a 2016 Pilot Touring AWD 9spd. Have 70k miles on the clock. I have not done any fluid exchange yet.

Dealer recommends the following

Brake Fluid Flush $163
Radiator Fluid Flush $139
Transmission Fluid Flush $454
New Battery $318

Do I really need to do this service or is this all "dealer recommended"
Also, what about diff fluid , transfer case etc ? Needed ?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
12 Posts
I can vouch for the brake fluid flush if you’ve never had that done. That’s usually a three year thing for all cars. Over time air and moisture builds up in the brake system which make them squishy.

Battery sounds preventative and expensive. I typically start looking at a battery around 5 years myself. Sams Club is the cheapest place I have found for batteries if you wanted to do that yourself.

Perhaps others can chime in with the other fluids.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Hi folks
I have a 2016 Pilot Touring AWD 9spd. Have 70k miles on the clock. I have not done any fluid exchange yet.

Dealer recommends the following
Brake Fluid Flush $163
New Battery $318

Do I really need to do this service or is this all "dealer recommended"
Also, what about diff fluid , transfer case etc ? Needed ?
Have you read the section of the owner's manual covering maintenance and are you following the codes that should be appearing on the maintenance minder display?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Brake Fluid Flush $163
New Battery $318
Brake fluid exchange is recommended every 3 years but people rarely actually do that. You could push on this another year if you wanted.... but technically it's due.

Coolant should not be changed. It is good for 6 years or 100,000 miles and you should change this when you do your 105k service for timing belt/water pump service.

Transmission fluid change in the 9 speed is VERY expensive. That's about the normal price. I would do this when the maintenance minder goes off for it.

That battery is straight up theft. You should pay around $100 for a battery. Places will install them for free. I change mine every 4.5 to 5 years here.

·
Registered
728 Posts
That battery is straight up theft. You should pay around $100 for a battery. Places will install them for free. I change mine every 4.5 to 5 years here.

His 2016 is equipped with an AGM battery which is more expensive than a flooded battery. It has the AGM because of the Auto Idle Stop/Start which is in the 2016 Touring and Elite. The dealer quote of $318.00 is probable list price plus installation. On line discount Honda parts show between $182.00-$225.00 or so for the AGM battery. List price which I am sure the dealer has quoted is $262.00. That is without installation of course.

The transmission and transfer case code "3" should come up around 60000 miles on the 9 speed transmission, so it is due.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I installed an AGM battery on the wife’s Pilot. It was $150. Installation was free, but I prefer to do that myself.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I used the Honda brand prices since he was quoted from a Honda dealer. What brand did you put in?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks
The transmission and transfer case code "3" should come up around 60000 miles on the 9 speed transmission, so it is due.

Transmission flush at 60k?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not a flush, but just a drain and fill. Some owners have done it themselves by draining out the fluid (I believe around 3.5 quarts or so come out) when the car has sat and cooled off. They then put back in the exact amount of fluid that came out. The new fluid was left next to the car to also reach the same temperature of the fluid that came out since this fluid supposedly expands a lot with heat.

Last time I had seen the 9 speed transmission cost posted by someone who had it done at a dealer it was around $350.00 IIRC.

Some owners have done it themselves by draining out the fluid (I believe around 3.5 quarts or so come out) when the car has sat and cooled off. They then put back in the exact amount of fluid that came out. The new fluid was left next to the car to also reach the same temperature of the fluid that came out since this fluid supposedly expands a lot with heat.

One owner said this is how his dealer did his 9 speed transmission. I plan on doing it that way also. The 3.1 transmission fluid is coming down in price finally but still expensive. I can buy it from a local dealer for around $25.00 a quart.

I would also do the brake fluid at 3 years as Honda recommends to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks folks

So you did do the transmission / coolant fuel replacement in your pilots before 100k?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thanks folks
So you did do the transmission / coolant fuel replacement in your pilots before 100k?
Coolant - no. I changed ours at 105k when I did the timing belt and water pump.

Transmission fluid - yes. But I have a different year model and transmission than you. Historically, being proactive and refreshing the transmission fluid on Hondas keeps them alive. You have a sourced transmission made by ZF. I did transmission fluid drain/fills at 53k, 62k, 77k, 85k, 99k, 106k. I will slow down now that I have removed most of the old fluid out with multiple subsequent changes. My fluid is not terribly expensive ($8 per quart) so a change costs me $32 and is stupid easy. I'd be less aggressive on yours, but the BEST thing to do in your case is to follow the Maintenance Minder that's already programmed into the car. It will tell you when to change it. I am assuming it already did based on your mileage.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
I'd say the only necessary maintenance is the brake fluid. I'm pretty sure Honda coolant was good for 10 yrs/100k miles, so you have time. I like to do transmission fluid every 30k miles, but I do it myself which is a lit cheaper than the dealer. If you haven't had any slow starts than I would ride out the battery.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Found this on the Odyssey board (Post #132 in the following link) and is a reason why I am going to change my 9 speed transmission around 15000 miles. This owner did his at 15000 miles and this is what it looked like. I haven't seen any other pictures of the ZF-9 fluid when it was replaced. Maybe because most owners believe only the dealer can do it with the "special" procedures to fill it? Old on the left, new on the right. Since the ZF-9 doesn't have a dipstick, I can't think of any way to check the condition of the fluid other than to drain some out.

I'll see what mine looks like then and decide if I want to do the 30000 drain and fill which many do on the 6 speed. I will wait for the 60000 mile or so MM code to appear if everything looks better than his did.

I understand that just looking at a picture or the fluid itself doesn't really tell if it is "used" up or contaminated. I do believe transmission fluid should not look like this at 15000 miles.

ZF-9 Fluid Change

1 - 15 of 15 Posts