Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help - The dealership just told me the 75,000 mile tuneup is $700. I don’t remember what the service person told me it includes. Does anyone here know. That seems really expensive. My 2013 is almost at 195,000.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The best answer to your $700 question is the servicing dealer. Without knowing how the Pilot has been maintained or serviced in the past @195k the Pilot has served you well and may need this “small” infusion of TLC to keep her rolling.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
On the bright side, that's $700 Canadian instead of $700 US.😁. As aggrex mentioned, check with the dealer what maintenance services are on the list.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the bright side, that's $700 Canadian instead of $700 US.😁. As aggrex mentioned, check with the dealer what maintenance services are on the list.
It’s $860 CAD. I said $700 for US. I have on this vehicle since brand new 2013. This is my baby and I take very good care of it it looks almost brand new.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The best answer to your $700 question is the servicing dealer. Without knowing how the Pilot has been maintained or serviced in the past @195k the Pilot has served you well and may need this “small” infusion of TLC to keep her rolling.
I’ve owned it since day one. I have babied this car and it looks almost brand new.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
$700/860 may not be the TB but there are essential fluid changes (rear diff, T/C, ATF, cooling, PB, PS that could be on the menu. Make sure the Pilot is up to date for the essential maintenance item: TB 7yr/100K to keep the Pilot rolling

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Help - The dealership just told me the 75,000 mile tuneup is $700. I don’t remember what the service person told me it includes. Does anyone here know. That seems really expensive. My 2013 is almost at 195,000.
The service schedule is not mileage based, but should be done according to the prompts from the maintenance minder.
Have you been following the maintenance minder?
Also, your Pilot should have had the timing belt replaced by now. Has that work been done?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Right. What code is your Maintenance Minder showing you?

On the bright side, that's $700 Canadian instead of $700 US.😁
It’s $860 CAD. I said $700 for US.

[Note to Admins: Why are the forum software algorithms indicating that Colorado has been annexed by Canada? Do they know something the rest of us are as of yet unaware of? :p]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The service schedule is not mileage based, but should be done according to the prompts from the maintenance minder.
Have you been following the maintenance minder?
Also, your Pilot should have had the timing belt replaced by now. Has that work been done?
Everything is up to date. The Tuneup is coming up next. The service schedule was given to me by the dealership.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right. What code is your Maintenance Minder showing you?

[Note to Admins: Why are the forum software algorithms indicating that Colorado has been annexed by Canada? Do they know something the rest of us are as of yet unaware of? :p]
I lived in Colorado my whole life until moving to Canada a year ago. What is Maintenance Minder ?

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
I lived in Colorado my whole life until moving to Canada a year ago. What is Maintenance Minder ?
Here's a brief introductory video explanation.

Maintenance Minder System | 2013 Honda Pilot | Honda Owners Site

You may wish to familiarize yourself with the Owner's Manual, and in this case the section beginning on page 381. It should help you answer some of your questions. Download the PDF here:

Here's a breakdown of the Maintenance Minder codes...

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
With an OD at 195000 miles you should probably be into the $2k range at least. You say you have babied the vehicle but you don't say what proper services you have done.

You should have had a timing belt done at 120K which usually runs in the $1500 range +/-, spark plugs which runs in the $400 range, change out brake fluid twice, change out Power Steering fluid, twice, possibly 3 times. Coolant is due, tranny fluid is due, and if you have an AWD then you should have done the rear diff fluid 4 or 5 times by now at least.

If you have kept up with all of those then $700 shouldn't be much of a shock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Th

You may wish to familiarize yourself with the Owner's Manual, and in this case the section beginning on page 381. It should help you answer some of your questions. Download the PDF here:

Thank you plplplpl. I will check this out. ☺ I want my Pilot to last as long as possible. I love this vehicle and I like this body style the BEST.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Everything is up to date. The Tuneup is coming up next. The service schedule was given to me by the dealership.
Compare the service schedule provided by the dealer with the one in this post:
Gen 2 Maintenance quick look in excel sheet
It was created based upon the mileage/time-based pre-maintenance minder schedule included in the owner's manual for early first generation Pilots.
For you, at that mileage and assuming normal operating conditions, it's essentially oil and filter changes every 7,500 miles, other fluids and air filters every 30K, brake fluid every 3 years, and timing belt/coolant/spark plugs/valve clearance every 105K (or 7 years for the timing belt).

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
If they want $700 for some suposed "scheduled maintenance," please tell us what it's for. Will give our opinions as to whether this is legit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shop around!
I paid $700 for timing belt and water pump on 2012 Odyssey before Corona hit. My 2005 Pilot was over $1200 over 5 yrs. ago...different city/dealerships.
For my 2005 Pilot, at 175K miles, I'm starting to plan for the timing belt, water pump, front engine mount (notorious for cracking) AND a valve job by the dealership. some things are worth having a "warranty" and this vehicle is going to my teenager.

·
Registered
113 Posts

On all my Honda's I ignore the maintenance minder. In my view, its a scam for the dealer to bundle a bunch of unneeded services and rip you off. I change oil every 4000 miles, Trans drain and fill every 15,000, odd years full flush, brake fluid when it has moisture in it (you have to test) or every major brake service, rear diff every 30,000. Spark plug at 100,000. Valve adjustment depending. Coolant 5yr or 60,000. My last two Honda's made it to 225,000 before I sold them and nothing was wrong with them. Granted, I do much of this myself. I know this may will encourage debate. :);)

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I know this may will encourage debate. :);)
If you were not someone who DIYs, following the MM is better than never doing any maintenance.
Yes, you will over pay.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Right, a savvy DIYer can figure a lot of it out by himself. But the MM helps the average non-DIY not to forget some things.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts