Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Pilot made it to New York, no issues. Thankful for that. AC worked fine, which was nice considering it was about 90 degrees outside. 18.1 mpg from Virginia to West Virginia. 19.2 mpg from West VA to New York. Cruise was set to 80 for most of the second half. Driver seat was comfortable the whole way. The armrest needs more padding, as does the center console lid. Very hard surfaces. Seemed underpowered going up some hills, it downshifted and stayed at about 4k rpm for several minutes at a time. All in all, it performed as expected, and I am glad we decided to keep it vice sell it. The check engine light for the P0420 code comes and goes, so I'm not replacing the cat yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
I agree sometimes it can feel a bit underpowered on some hills. I suggest disabling cruise control when in hilly terrain as it strains the transmission and engine.
Otherwise, I’m always pleased how smooth my 2008 feels on long car rides.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Sounds like it performed great. I just had our Traverse (281 hp, 6 speed auto) through the mountains on I-68 heading to Ohio and the PA turnpike coming back. It too would downshift on the bigger hills going 75-77 with an extra gear, more HP and quite a bit more low down torque. I think the only vehicles in this class that wouldn't need as much revs for the hills are the turbo offerings (CX-9 and Ascent) or the Durango R/T and Explorer ST with considerably more power and torque.

Look at it this way, you probably cleaned any carbon off the valves and pistons during that drive!

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
142 Posts
I'm actually surprised to hear you say it seemed under powered at times. That hasn't happened to me yet. Were you hauling a lot of weight? I take my 07 up to northern New England often, and its just rips over the hills without issue. Maybe I have a low bar for performance?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,331 Posts
I did many 940 mile drives in my 05. Though it thought they were 960 mile drives. It was a good cruiser even when packed full.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
It was loaded down pretty well. It wasn't like I was losing ground and the revs were way up, I could still accelerate. I guess I'm used to my diesel truck with 910 pounds of torque. It never downshifts even with a trailer.
Haha, for sure! The Pilot's peak torque is what, 3,500 RPM or so? Remember the J35 loves to rev and is happy to rev, one of the great pleasures is driving a vehicle that loves to rev after driving something that clearly hates to rev.

The code is off more than it's on. I can live with it. No Scotty videos, please.
YES! Thank you. Hate that guy.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
It's not that it's underpowered, it's that the cruise control logic leaves a lot to be desired. It downshifts and revs up and sits there where otherwise you'd just let it upshift instead.
We dragged a 6x12 uhaul trailer, loaded way beyond what it should have been, across the continent (West Coast to East Coast), no complaints at all. As it gets older though, it does tend to stay on higher revs, where is used to sit at 2-2.5K before.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
2007 Pilot - just completed 1400 mile trip - from VA to IN and back. Car performed really well. On the way back, it was fully loaded with luggage and three people.
On some of the hills in PA and MD (I-70, I-68), going up hill felt a bit under powered, with the RPMs staying around 3500.
Fuel consumption was normal - on the way back to VA, starting with full tank, the refill light came on after 380-390 miles.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
But then how is poor Scotty going to eke out a living if he isn't monetized with the help of clickbait titles and videos that just happen to be slightly over YT's 10-minute money mark?

View attachment 149178
Am I the only one who suspects @Nail Grease may be Scotty?

2007 Pilot - just completed 1400 mile trip - from VA to IN and back. Car performed really well. On the way back, it was fully loaded with luggage and three people.
On some of the hills in PA and MD (I-70, I-68), going up hill felt a bit under powered, with the RPMs staying around 3500.
Fuel consumption was normal - on the way back to VA, starting with full tank, the refill light came on after 380-390 miles.
I've driven a dozen or so vehicles on those same roads, usually set the cruise between 75 and 80. My dad's Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2 (400 hp and tq) and the couple of V6 family sedans I've driven were the only vehicles that didn't need to go down at least 2 gears and get the RPMs pretty high. Your Pilot performed just like my Traverse did with an extra gear and at least 30 more hp, I was running similar RPMs. 5,000ish lb 3 row bricks with car-like high revving V6's need the revs.

• Haha
Reactions: Cousin Itt

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts
Am I the only one who suspects @Nail Grease may be Scotty?
I'm not one usually to subscribe to conspiracy theories, but for this one I'm 100% on board. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts