Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspected the rubber duct, which I replaced when I bought the Pilot with 70k miles on it. Now about 70k miles later it is cracking at the TB side around the clamp, all over again. This time I am going to buy aftermarket from Dorman and see how long it will last, as paying Honda almost 2x more sounds discouraging. Their composition hardens and cracks.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right at the TB clamp, on the top side.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Inspected the rubber duct, which I replaced when I bought the Pilot with 70k miles on it. Now about 70k miles later it is cracking at the TB side around the clamp, all over again. This time I am going to buy aftermarket from Dorman and see how long it will last, as paying Honda almost 2x more sounds discouraging. Their composition hardens and cracks.
Sorry to say this, but I really doubt that HONDA makes their own intake duct. Our Pilots are assembled in either Canada or the US. The intake duct is probably domestic US made, or more likely, cheaper import from China. It's not made from unicorn milk on Mount Fuji...just buy the cheapest replacement that you can find. It will probably outlive the rest of the vehicle!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the same time the factory duct on my Nissan is doing fine and that vehicle is 1 year older. The Honda design is flawed: it has one flex section in the middle and the weight of the duct bobbing with the car and weaving with the engine breaks off the clamped end at the TB. Nissan has flex sections at the TB and the weight of the duct does not overstretch the clamped end.

Honda is japanese for "intentionally flawed design, aimed at sucking the customer dry".

Nissan is japanese for "a cluster of itermittent electrical problems, prohibitively difficult to troubleshoot"

Each has its own character.

·
Administrator
15,577 Posts
Cracked intakes are not common. Is there an issue eg broken engine mounts on your.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mounts are fine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts