Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for any Pilot owner with two children that require car seats.

If you place one car seat in the middle of the second row bench and the other car seat behind the driver's seat in the second row can you still tilt and slide the passenger side bench forward to access the third row?

I'm concerned that you won't be able to access the third row seats if you have two car seats in the second row.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have not done this for real, but I tested it experimentally in the dealership parking lot and it was fine...You have virtually the same issue with one middle car seat, as far as folding down the small section. It worked fine. Two caveats...I did it with Britax Roundabouts...two wider seats like the Marathon or Husky might over lap. I also was using seatbelt restraint on both, not LATCH. Not recommended by HOnda, but some car seat techs will install a middle seat using one latch anchor from either side. With two side by side, only one can use latch (shouldn't matter since you can often get as good or better fit with belts alone) If you are using a latch anchor from the flip seat, that would probably prevent folding. Luckily, the Pilot is a wide car, so I anticipate no problems with whatever seat you use. You just can't put a car seat on the flip seat unless you plan on taking it out and resinstalling it a lot. If you have one car seat and one booster, I would put the car seat behond the driver (suggested by techs anyway since the shell is safer in crash than the booster) and the booster in the middle. The booster will probably be narrower,

I also did this with the 2003, not the 2004 which has a slightly different fold I believe. I would take your seats to the dealership and try out how well you like it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It really depends on the style of seat you're using. I have an infant seat behind the driver, a cheap cosco square no back style booster for my 7 year old in the center (which does not obstruct at all) and a tall, wide booster behind the passenger seat. The booster is just seat belted, and moves forward easily for 3rd row access. If you have a large seat in the center, it may obstruct.

This may not help, but incase you have to block 3rd row access, I let the kids in and out through the tailgate. Since I'm out of the Pilot anyway, I'd rather just open that, than flip and move seats.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have just one child seat, a Britax Wizard, in the center and it does prevent the 40-split seat from folding forward.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same concern..You can access the 3rd row from either side, The double or the single seat slides forward..

·
Registered
797 Posts
Is the middle seat using LATCH? If so, probably not since the anchor is on the 40%. Make sure if you have a middle seat using LATCH that the outer child seat is not. Two child seats can not share the same anchor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2nd row car seats

In the 2nd row, we have a Graco Snugride (rear facing) for our infant in the middle position and a Britax roundabout (forward facing) for the older child behind the driver's seat. They allow enough clearance for the 40% single seat to fold or slide forward for access to the 3rd row without any problems. I've attached a picture (I hope).

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does the Britax Marathon or Roundabout have a better fit in the Pilot? We are currently using two car carriers (twins) with LATCH and will soon be upgrading the seats. The seats currently reside behind both the passenger and driver side.

I've read about the Wizard and there are issues with the side impact headrests.

Does either of the seats interfere with visibility?

·
Registered
97 Posts
neither of those seats have the wizard style headrest, so no worries. The marathon works longer rear facing as I recall. I don't think you'll find a problem with either seat.

I put my RA in the center today, belt only...and could fold the 40 section fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks.

Were deciding between the Roundabout and the Marathon. The Wizard seems to have too many early-on problems to consider.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not to change the subject but I could see a serious problem for putting two car seats closer together like this. If your children happen to put their fingers in between the two car seats it would not be a pleasant experience. I can see this happening as the car is moving and the wedge between them opens up then closes back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
most car seat techs believe the chance of that is less dangerous than a car seat in the front seat or third row. Many are leary of using the third row because it is so vulnerable in rear impact, and the seat itself is often less protective. So pick your poison. And you child. In some cases, seat is large and the child is small, or you're mixing a small booster with a full size seat, so pinching risk is smaller. Many people are putting three across in a sedan, so we're pretty well off in the wide pilot.

I do use the third row for car seats, just not all the time. I tend to put grownups back there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts