Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hit the 6 month mark with my Pilot, have 9800 miles and am glad to say I only have a few minor problems. 1. The outside temp gage is about 10 degrees off, sometimes just stays at 88 degrees (I wish Phoenix was only 88) 2. The door pillar's are getting gouged/marked up from releasing the seat belt. 3. The clock is 6 minutes slow. Mostly minor but irritating stuff. One other complaint I have on the Pilot is the sheet metal is about as thin as a beer can. Very susceptible to door dings, I have 2 already.

All in all I like my Pilot very much, just got back from a road trip to San Diego and enjoyed it all the way.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
par55 said:
I just hit the 6 month mark with my Pilot, have 9800 miles and am glad to say I only have a few minor problems. 1. The outside temp gage is about 10 degrees off, sometimes just stays at 88 degrees (I wish Phoenix was only 88) 2. The door pillar's are getting gouged/marked up from releasing the seat belt. 3. The clock is 6 minutes slow. Mostly minor but irritating stuff. One other complaint I have on the Pilot is the sheet metal is about as thin as a beer can. Very susceptible to door dings, I have 2 already.

All in all I like my Pilot very much, just got back from a road trip to San Diego and enjoyed it all the way.
I would say you should get 1. above fixed. Mine is pretty accurate.

:D ;)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
par55 said:

Hey par55, glad your experience with the Pilot has been good so far. I was just wondering, where on the car are the dings?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Our door pillars are also getting small marks when the seatbelt is released, and believe me, we have been more careful than usual. I recall reading a thread (with photos) about this, someone using clear tape to protect the pillar, but after you already have a few marks I don't know if that is worthwhile. Any ideas?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both dings are on the horizontal line just below the door handles, so best guess based on the height the culprits are either a truck or another SUV.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: Re: 6 Months and few problems

ramirami said:

I would say you should get 1. above fixed. Mine is pretty accurate.

Not being in front of my manual, I thought there was something in there specifically on how to recalibrate the temperature. Would anyone that is sitting in front of their manual care to confirm?:1zhelp:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
par55 said:
3. The clock is 6 minutes slow.
This was happening to me too, then I read the manual, and found out it was happening because my kids would leave an interior light on, or not quite close the door all the way, keeping the interior lights lit up. This somehow messes with the clock, (and window auto up feature that you'll have to reset) when the system overrides itself to preserve the battery. I know that's not the technical explanation, I'm sure someone will correct me ;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 6 Months and few problems

bret11 said:

Not being in front of my manual, I thought there was something in there specifically on how to recalibrate the temperature. Would anyone that is sitting in front of their manual care to confirm?:1zhelp:
While I don't have a service manual in front of me I did remember reading how to do this in another thread. I found it in the "Did you know? I did not know that!" thread. Here it is in case you haven't read it yet, very informative! Click me!

Here you go:
Outside Air Temperature Sensor Calibration
This is from the Service Manual:
The outside air temperature indicator's displayed temperature can be recalibrated plus or minus 3 degree F by : 1) turn the ignition switch ON (II), and make sure the outside temperature is displayed; (2) press the select/reset switch buttom for 10 seconds. While you continue to hold the buttom, the display will scroll through temperature settings from +3 to -3 degree; (3) when the desired correction value appears on the display, release the buttom, and the recalibrated outside air temperature will be displayed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks I will check it out, but I feel the gage might be defective because sometimes it gets stuck on a certain temp, like 88 yesterday when it was 106 outside.

·
Registered
145 Posts
par55 said:
Thanks I will check it out, but I feel the gage might be defective because sometimes it gets stuck on a certain temp, like 88 yesterday when it was 106 outside.
Sounds like the gauge might be fine...it's just that the car would prefer to be in a cooler climate (as would I...106 degress!) :9:

--Bret

·
Registered
311 Posts
Cajun Pilot said:
Our door pillars are also getting small marks when the seatbelt is released, and believe me, we have been more careful than usual. I recall reading a thread (with photos) about this, someone using clear tape to protect the pillar, but after you already have a few marks I don't know if that is worthwhile. Any ideas?
The dealership is installing a new door pillar cover on the driver's side under warranty. I'm thinking I need to cover it with protective plastic to avoid this in the future. Anyone know where I can purchase the material?

·
Registered
483 Posts
par55 said:
Both dings are on the horizontal line just below the door handles, so best guess based on the height the culprits are either a truck or another SUV.
Those will be able to be taken out by a dent guy who knows what he's doing. The sheet metal today does seem to be a little thinner, it doesnt take much of an impact to leave an impression in your car. :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
tonyrwc said:
Those will be able to be taken out by a dent guy who knows what he's doing.
On a somewhat related note: My dealer (Saratoga Honda) gave us a free dent removal card when we got the car. Basically, within the first 90 days, they will have their dent removal company remove any single dent (of a small size) for free. I thought this was a great touch.

The front of my hood got a small dent within the first week that I took to them and, instead of using my "get out of dent free" card, the dealer had it removed for free. Nice service!

--Bret

·
Registered
991 Posts
Cajun Pilot said:
I talked to my service tec about this issue, and he is going to replace both pillars closer too the warranty expiring in about 3 years..

He had no problem doing this, ask your dealer..

I have a few more issues, all being taken care of as soon as parts come in!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks I will look into it. Obviously there is a design or material flaw. It would be nice if Honda did some kind of retrofit if this problem with the door pillar covers persist, but somehow doubt they would.

Cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mkell said:

The dealership is installing a new door pillar cover on the driver's side under warranty. I'm thinking I need to cover it with protective plastic to avoid this in the future. Anyone know where I can purchase the material?
Ski shop should have clear tapes for skis and snow board. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
gopilot said:

I talked to my service tec about this issue, and he is going to replace both pillars closer too the warranty expiring in about 3 years..

He had no problem doing this, ask your dealer..

I have a few more issues, all being taken care of as soon as parts come in!
Hmm, seems like a great idea.....I'm going to talk to my dealer about replacing the door pillar cover under warranty, a little farther down the road. I had been thinking they wouldn't consider it a warranty issue, but sounds like they might.

In my case, I'm getting nicks and scratches not from the seat belt buckle hitting the pillar as it retracts (I always carefully hold it), but simply from getting in and out of the car. I think most of the marks came this past winter, from buckles or buttons on my coat. Anyway, whether the marks come from seat belt or coat hardware, the pillars are obviously very vulnerable.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
04 on my 03?

I'm wondering, OKAY hoping, that with the 2004's coming out, that they may make this of a different material, and if we have warranties that will last until '04's are out, we can have the pillars replaced with the new kind. Will it match though? I'm also waiting until the very end of my warranty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our service mgr ordered the new door pillars when we showed him the nicks on our then 1 month old Pilot - no questions asked. What I'm wondering is why is everyone is waiting until the warranty is almost up? If something is bad now and they fix/replace it and it is still bad, they should replace it again. Warranty does not mean 'we'll fix it but only one time' in my book. If you wait 3 years, they may call it normal wear and tear (I was actually surprised they didn't say that the first time we showed them).

We are now much more careful with the seatbelt, but I imagine this will continue to happen. I'll ask him on Monday when I go in to have it replaced what he will do it if looks like this in 1 or 2 or 3 years...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts