Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

6 cd

8K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  plplplpl 
#1 ·
Is a 6 CD changer standard on a Pilot EX-L with Navi?
Thanks
Ed

#6 ·
If you search other threads on the cd changer issue, you will find that there is no faceplate for the cd changer if it is put in an EX. It can be hooked up, but Honda needs to make the cosmetic faceplate.

#7 ·
In-Dash Player

I agree.

As far as I know, Honda has not yet provided the necessary cover plate to allow a properly-finished installation of the in-dash CD player in an EX.

#9 ·
MPSpecter said:
Is it possible to remove the Cassette Player on the Ex and install the CD Chnager there instead?:2:
If you look closely, I think you will see that the LX head unit and the EX head unit are quite different.

The LX unit offers only AM/FM/CD capability built-in. Either an optional cassette player OR an optional in-dash CD changer can be installed immediately below the basic unit.

The EX unit, on the other hand, comes standard with AM/FM/CD/and cassette... all built-in to a larger box. The only extra room in the EX dash is immediately below the climate control. In fact, the in-dash CD changer WILL fit in that location, but there is no way to finish off the installation without the appropriate plastic piece to cover up the empty spaces around the top, bottom, and sides of the in-dash changer. Unfortunately, such a piece is not available from Honda.:(

#10 ·
Why honda still install cassette on Pilot? :confused: I don't even think I have any tape in my collection. Maybe I can swing by some $1 shop to pick up some. :D

#11 ·
Kit_C said:
From the PDI bulletin:

In-Dash CD Changer
--------------------------

EX models are equipped with a 6-disc in-dash CD changer. Six CDs can be loaded into the unit without the need for a CD cartridge.

Advise your customers to follow the loading instructions in the owner's manual exactly when loading CDs.
:eek: IS THIS TRUE.......I DIDN"T GET MY PILOT YET........CAN SOME LOOK INTO THIS

#12 ·
MPSPecter....

No, it isn't true. Obviously Honda changed their mind after writing this. (There are other hints elsewhere that Honda originally planned this.)

Either they didn't think it was worth the expense or they had difficulty with the hardware. I hope it's fixed, I'd love to add one.

#13 ·
MPSpecter said:

:eek: IS THIS TRUE.......I DIDN"T GET MY PILOT YET........CAN SOME LOOK INTO THIS
Not gonna happen my friend...Len is correct...Honda is not putting a 6 pack in the 2003. BUT, I'm willing to bet we'll see the 6 pack in the 2004...

:3:

#17 ·
While I would like to have a changer in the dash, it appears that it isn't an option for the EX at this time. In Charlotte, Freeman's does alot of custom car stereo/DVD/Navigation systems for many of the auto dealers in the area. They just installed an Alpine (CHM-S630) 6 CD changer under the driver seat of our Pilot today. It works like a charm with the existing Honda audio system. I had the whole thing installed for $385.00 including tax. For anyone else interested, you may want to research taking this route as well.
:D

#18 ·
What happens to single CD if get changer?

I'm getting ready to order my Pilot EX.. Per the thread, I'll order the CD changer and have it mounted under a seat.

One question... What happens to the single slot CD player that comes standard with the EXL-Navi model? Does it remain functional? Could I have 7 CDs loaded?

Lots of thanks!....

#20 ·
Re: What happens to single CD if get changer?

kbleicher said:
I'm getting ready to order my Pilot EX.. Per the thread, I'll order the CD changer and have it mounted under a seat.

One question... What happens to the single slot CD player that comes standard with the EXL-Navi model? Does it remain functional? Could I have 7 CDs loaded?

Lots of thanks!....
And as a note, with the RES model, you could actually have 8 discs loaded at once...

1 in the in-dash
1 in the DVD player
6 in the CD Changer

Either the DVD or the Changer come in really handy in allowing the rear passengers to listen to their own CD while the front passengers can listen to their own CD. Really nifty set-up if you ask me (which you didn't!).

Tried the CD changer install myself. I think the wiring would have been simple enough, but removing the trim pieces to get at the head unit was a royal pain! Gave up trying to get them off, before I destroyed all the trim on the dash. As it was, I put a couple knicks in the plastic surrounding the radio and the center vents (and of course the center vents aren't their own separate piece, they part of the entire freakin' center dash piece!). Wrapped my flat screwdriver in a rag, like recommeneded in the instructions, but the plastic just seems way too soft.

If anyone has already done this install with success, I would really appreciate your feedback! Since Tim is sending me the new trim pieces, I can afford some additional damage! Might take another crack at it before giving up and having the dealer do it! Gosh I hate to give up, especially after I did a good job with all the other accessories!

To add to Chris' comments, the lower steering wheel control also allows you to switch from AM, FM1, FM2, AUX, DVD, CD and CD Changer without taking your hands off the wheel. Nifty - my Accord's steering wheel controls don't do that!

#21 ·
Back in my car audio days we used to use "hook tools" to remove trim pieces. Basically it's a screwdriver handle with a what amounts to a punch tool shaft or probe with a bent tip (different ones were bent into various bends and twists). Not sure if you can get these at Sears, but it would be worth a shot.

Chris

#22 ·
Options on Changer Placement?

Thanks for your replies regarding the single slot player! I'm glad it remains operational; seems like that'll add some nice versatility....

===> So when the day comes, will I be able to specify the CD-Changer placement, or is there a spot reserved for it?

I'll probably get a backup CD cartridge so I'll have 6 ready to load for road-trips. Don't suppose I'd be able to swap cartridges while driving... (or the front passenger)...

Thanks again! :)

Now if I can just think of a good color ;) I'll be spending the day checking the posted picts... I'm so glad I found this site; the postings are GREAT....

#23 ·
Re: What happens to single CD if get changer?

The single slot in the dash is also operational. That will give you 7 CDs to play. The buttons on the steering column allow you to operate all radio/CD changing options.

Since you are considering an order, I would get the dealers to quote you everything with an itemized option list. I found that various dealers had different prices for the options and their installations. You may consider ordering factory installed items and then order other items through TIM or another place. If you are handy, some items can be self-install (rear mud guards, rood rack rails....). If you aren't you may want to have another person or company install the items (CD changer, towing package.....). In either case, it will lead to bigger savings than you think.

kbleicher said:

Lots of thanks!....

#25 ·
xyzzy said:
I did a search and found one of the hook tools we used to pull trim panels out with. I did a poor job of describing it before. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Chris
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the information. That's sort of what I was thinking too, but the dealer told me that the don't use any special tools either (of course, not that I have to do everything the dealer does!).

And the tolerances are so tight around the trim panel, I'm not so sure if you would be even able to get this tool in there. I could barely put the tip of a very small flat tip screwdriver in there when it wasn't wrapped in the towel. Wrapping it in the towel make it almost impossible. And the plastic is VERY soft!

I thought I would pop out that empty button cover in the upper right hand corner of the radio, and then I could get at it easier, or at least get it started, but it didn't even want to pop out without knicking it up. I just gave up before I messed it up more. Now, there is a small hole at the bottom of the button, that I bet that tool would work on. Maybe I'll go that angle?

#26 ·
I'm wondering if maybe trying a wide, thin putty knife might work? Some are just way too thick, but you can find some with almost razor thin edges. The wide surface area should cut down on the risk of dinging the trim. Just a thought.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.