Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know why not post on the 4runner forum. Anyways just wondering if any Pilot owners has driven a gen5 4runner. If so, any major difference in ride quality and interior noise compared to the Pilot. Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Well this is pretty easy, compared to either the 2nd or 3rd gen Pilot, it's got quite a bit more wind noise, about the same tire noise (Honda just can't seem to shake the tire noise issue) and the ride quality is well different. I don't think it's uncomfortable but it's more truck like, there are more motions, some impacts come through a little firmer but IMO I love the "feel" of a truck based vehicle so I love the way it feels. They are comfortable DD's that will never match the mileage but will far exceed a Pilot in terms of off road ability and work. Also, much like the Pilots (maybe even more so) they have an absolutely bulletproof drivetrain.

I love 4Runners and hope to have one some day, right now the Pilot was the right family choice because we needed more space and my wife appreciates the more carlike ride (it's her car).

There's a reason very few Pilots and 4Runners exist on the used market (at least in MD), they are great vehicles that never give their owners a reason to get rid of it. I have drive all 3 of the vehicles, as well as older 4Runners and honestly I like them all but would prefer a 4Runner (especially the older V8's).

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cintocrunch for your reply. I plan to do a little more trail riding. Not sure what route to take. I could throw on a set of AT tires on the Pilot but not sure how much punishment the suspension can take. I don't intend to do half of what a Wrangler does. I just don't want things to fall apart. Would you say that the 4runner would be ok for a family of 4. Or would the truck like ride be unsettling?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Thanks Cintocrunch for your reply. I plan to do a little more trail riding. Not sure what route to take. I could throw on a set of AT tires on the Pilot but not sure how much punishment the suspension can take. I don't intend to do half of what a Wrangler does. I just don't want things to fall apart. Would you say that the 4runner would be ok for a family of 4. Or would the truck like ride be unsettling?
I don't know exactly what kind of trails you are going on, but I'd probably be more concerned about the transfer case and rear diff in a Pilot for regular off road usage. I would think the suspension is fairly adept at handling off roading, maybe a little weaker but 4Runners have IFS as well.

I would think a 4Runner would be fine for a family of 4, you just may need a rooftop box for long trips and if you get the 3rd row it's not in any way for adult use. We got the Pilot because we regularly have 6-7 people in our car, two of which are children still in car seats. I've got the rooftop box for when we need to carry people and their crap. My dad had an Excursion growing up and a Yukon XL now, so nothing will match those as far as people and stuff hauling but the Pilot will last us another kid or two and then some.

And when I say trucklike ride, I just mean compared to a Pilot. These are not HD pickups and they don't even have leaf springs like a Tacoma, they ride very well but have a presence (feeling of weight, substantial, tough, etc.?) like a truck that a car based crossover just can't match. IMO the only compromise (if you call it that) is that they are RWD based systems with the lever to activate 4WD, so someone like my wife may forget to engage it and get herself in trouble in the snow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also, I don't know if there is a Budget car rental by you, but you can rent one for a week for a few hundred $ with coupon code. This would be an easy way to decide. I'm in the market as well and have been consistently told there is a noticeable difference comfort wise between the two if it is to be used as a DD.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Treebranch I will definitely do that. I did a test drive but the road was flat and no passengers. Not real world usage. Wondering if the 2019 will be redesigned with at least a 6 speed tranny.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The OP probably already made his decision, but I'll give my opinion anyway. I just purchased a 2018 4Runner Limited (w/o 3rd row option). I still have our '16 Pilot EX-L and '05 Pilot EX-L.

I think the Pilot wins in every category except off-road capability and appearance. I chose the 4Runner for appearance and for fun. I don't mind the stiffer, truck-like ride. I have 3 kids and the '16 Pilot will continue to be our go-to vehicle for road trips, etc. The 4Runner is certainly doable for a family of 4, it just depends on personal preferences and needs.

I realize I didn't decide on one over the other...I went with both (and couldn't part with the 05 Pilot yet).

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't pull the trigger yet. Still holding out for more safety features as well as better fuel economy. Hoping it will happen in the next 2 years. Our accord lease will be done by then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts