Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update to my request for Phoenix dealer info yesterday - I just got back from the good folks at Arrowhead Honda Fleet Department and put down a $500 deposit to hold a Sandstone Metallic EX-L RES. The Pilot is already on the lot, but it was getting late and I had my wife and kids with me. My wife did a test drive and really liked it - it was her 1st Piloting experience.

I was given :2: $600 off MSRP :2: and we're going to discuss the options and trade-in tomorrow. I'm looking at the Day/Night Mirror, Fog Lights, Lower Trim, Rear Splash Guards, adding additional privacy tinting to the front windows, which is legal in AZ, and the side-plates. It already has the Chrome steering wheel and dash trim. Many of the accessories were less than the MSRP installed on Hondacars.com.

The dealership was very low-pressure and it was a great experience. I did have to wait 90 minutes to work with my fleet sales rep, Pat Johnstonbaugh - because he was selling an Odessy to someone. So, we all went to dinner and came back in a good mood ready to buy!

So, if all goes well, I'll be the proud owner of a brand new Pilot tomorrow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi I will be moving to Phoenix Jan 7th and was looking at purchasing
a Pilot. Is the dealer there at Arrowhead throwing in any options as part of the price?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know that yet, but I don't think so. The 2 best dealers in town, though, are Arrowhead Honda or Honda Cars of Mesa, in my opinion - no pressure sales, no dealership garbage.

Arrowhead Honda gave me this info after my initial contact:

"At Arrowhead Honda ..we take great pride in no 'hidden' cost..just add tax of 7.8%...a $298 one time documentation fee and applicable license plate fees...Always remember that the lowest price before fees ..is not always the best..Many local dealers add for things like 'roadside assistance..automate and more.

We are located at the intersection of 84th. Ave and Bell Road on the northeast corner. Our phone number is 623-974-9700 or call direct at 623-815-2036 should you have any questions. Please feel free to give me a call." (From Randy Westmoreland or Pat Johnstonbaugh. I'm dealing with Pat.)

There is a post on this board that might help you from the other day: http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2389, especially in figuring out which city within the greater Phoenix area to buy in when it comes to city tax. There is quite a variance that can add-up to a bunch of cash on the purchase.

The main thing to do is get on the Internet and send purchase requests to the dealers. There is no shortage of available vehicles here.

Welcome (almost) to the Valley! Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions about Honda dealers or the Valley in general.

·
Registered
465 Posts
about those options

For those of you new to the board, we have group buys on options that blow the doors off those "special" deals your dealer will "give" you. And even if what you want isn't in a group buy, Tim at Hondacuraworld will still beat dealer prices quite a bit. I saved over $100 on running boards through him. And that was taking into account my dealer's special price! So at least check with Tim before buying elsewhere.

You're going to love the sandstone! And the RES!

·
Registered
113 Posts
$298 seems way to high for a documentation fee. My dealer tried to charge me $35 for documentation, and I reminded them that paperwork is a part of doing business for any company, and they agreed to waive it. You might try to talk them out of it and spend the $300 on an option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Major disappointment, but with a silver lining!

It's now Sunday morning, Dec. 29 and I do not have a Pilot. To make a long, long, long story short. Arrowhead and I could not come up to a deal on my trade so we both agreed no deal. I've since resigned myself to the fact that I will take care of my trade on my own or suffer a mighty loss on a 2000 Toy Sienna LE (leased, way over miles).

I have a friend who works with several dealership owners who directed me to Bell Honda's GM/Owner... under the auspices I would get a fantastic "friend of the house" price. THAT WAS A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE!

To summarize. Bell Honda tried to jack me around with $1000 market adjustments (over MSRP), Paint Protection, a "Bell Honda" package with a bunch of options I did not want, etc. After I whittled most of the "extras" off the price, I was still more than $1,500 over what I could get from Honda Cars of Mesa in a quote that took me less than 15 minutes to complete on the phone.

So I'm back at almost Square 1, no Pilot (yet), but I've learned a lot from the process, and think that I'm getting a good price on the car as follows:

Sandstone Metallic EX-L RES base price: $31,064

Accessories:
Fog lights
Lower trim
Day/Night Mirror
Full tinting on front windows (legal in AZ)
Side Steps
Rear Splash Guards

Price out the door: $35,920 (which includes $559 License, Title & Reg fee in AZ)

This would be for a car not scheduled in until late January. I have not done anything yet... Any ideas, comments, suggestions? I'm still looking, considering an out-of-state purchase to possibly save on taxes.

P.S. I was able to get my deposit back, no hassle from Arrowhead!

·
Registered
465 Posts
prices

Here's what you can get those options for from Tim (including shipping). You would just have to pay for installation. A couple of the items you can definitely do yourself. Of course, you'd have to get the tint local...

Fog lights: $299.00
Lower trim: $349.70
Day/Night mirror: $195.00
Side steps: $388.70
Rear splash guards: $32.50

$1,264.90 in Honda accessories from Tim. Also taking into account the license, etc fee, they are charging you $4,297.00 to install the options and do the tint. I'd bet you can find someone to do the tint and install everything for considerably less.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who is Tim? How do we get a hold of him

Fog lights: $299.00
Lower trim: $349.70
Day/Night mirror: $195.00
Side steps: $388.70
Rear splash guards: $32.50

The price quoted from Honda Cars of Mesa:
Fog lights: $287 ($22 cheaper)
Lower trim: $388 ($40 higher)
Day/Night mirror: $232 ($40 higher)
Side steps: $448 ($60 higher)
Rear splash guards: $54 ($22 higher)

There is also this site, which has some good deals, curious if anyone has used them: http://www.midlandshondaparts.com/honda_pilot_accessories

They have some amazing prices there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
toytalker said:
Who is Tim? How do we get a hold of him
Nice rhyme ! :)

Tim is Tim Poliniak, Internet Parts Manager @ Ray Laks Honda/Acura/Daewoo, www.hondacuraworld.com

Check out the "Group Buys" forum for more info !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts