Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get my Pilot until Tue. or Wed, so bear w/ me....Looking at the gear indicator on the dash, I see only 4 gears.
So I take it you can only manually use 4 gears? Or how does that work? My two other vehicles are 4 speed automatics and you can manually use ALL 4 gears. Is there an override button at the end of the column shifter or something? I hope that makes sense. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
PADZZ said:
I don't get my Pilot until Tue. or Wed, so bear w/ me....Looking at the gear indicator on the dash, I see only 4 gears.
So I take it you can only manually use 4 gears? Or how does that work? My two other vehicles are 4 speed automatics and you can manually use ALL 4 gears. Is there an override button at the end of the column shifter or something? I hope that makes sense. :rolleyes:
It is a 5 speed automatic.

Both, 4th and 5th are "overdrive" so the selection of 4th is thought to be not needed.

As an aside, my brother has an MDX and hates 4th, since t is close enough to 5th not to notice you accidentally put it there.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
It's a 5 speed. There's no overdrive button, or other way to lock out 5th, but it is a 5 speed. It tachs about 1900-2000 rpm at 70 mph.:D Others have questioned/complained about the lack of a lockout for fifth gear. I don't do any towing, so it's no issue for me.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
jay said:
[ S N I P P E D ]
It tachs about 1900-2000 rpm at 70 mph.:D
[ S N I P P E D ]
...and when the speedo says 100 mph, the tacho reads roughly 2500 rpm!!! (Image courtesy of honda-pilot.org member autobahn)

:eek:               :eek:               :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, not having an option to lock into 4th gear is EXTREMELY annoying. I live in Western Nebraska where the wind blows quite often. If I'm on I-80 driving 75 into a stiff breeze/wind, it won't hold 5th. It shifts down, catches up speed, shifts back up, slows down, shifts back down, catches up, shifts back up...etc. So my options are D3, which then puts me at 4,000 RPM's which I'm sure the engine can handle...but the wallet hates the fuel mileage you pull out in those conditions. Not being able to lock out of a top gear is just poor engineering. Not everyone out there lives in perfect driving conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts