Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

4x4 Only.... Hahaha

5647 41
This is next to one of my favorite beach restaurants in St.Augustine.

I've always seen the 4x4 only sign and wondered how necessary it really was.

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Road surface

Today I thought about taking the Pilot out.... but decided to park and walk.

Sky Cloud Road surface Asphalt Horizon

For anyone wondering the sand is very soft, very silty and after walking on it.... zero chance "I" would drive on it even with AWD.

Cloud Sky Water Landscape Beach

Granted I'm not interested in a headache bc I'm already married with kids.

Maybe if I had more aggressive tires.... but on the stock Continentals inflated to 40psi cold...

...Sit and spin.....

... and I'm all about the spinners.

Cloud Sky Car Wheel Tire

Vehicles that got stuck:

Ford F150 Rwd
Jeep Patriot
Buick Enclave

I think I might need to start a beach tow service. Granted the Dodge Ram 6.7 turbo diesel still struggled towing people out in the super soft stuff. Had to pull forward and use the winch to drag it.

Anyone think they would have given it a shot?

Attachments

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
13,227 Posts
Friendly note: If you're not familiar with OCMD, do not click on the search result from Urban Dictionary. In fact, do not click on anything on Urban Dictionary, as a rule. There are some things you just can't unknow. :eek:

· Registered
5,795 Posts
Friendly note: If you're not familiar with OCMD, do not click on the search result from Urban Dictionary. In fact, do not click on anything on Urban Dictionary, as a rule. There are some things you just can't unknow. :eek:
I suggest also YouTubing “South Park jacking it in San Diego”

one of their finest works.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

· Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

I went down that rabbit hole and it's exactly what I would expect having done multiple summers at the Jersey Shore.

This was my favorite part....

...And in the summer you have to deal with all of the tourons (tourist and moron put together)....

Having lived in Florida for over 20 years I'm shocked I've never heard this term before.

Absolutely no drive is worse then the drive down i4 passing Universal and Disney.

I hate doing it, I'll drive around it even if it's 20 minutes longer. Everytime I develop a new hatred for Tourons.... bleeping bleeper.

I thought people drove like shit in Miami, nope. They're, at least, always late so they have a little motivation.... to go.

Vamos, vamos.

· Registered
5,795 Posts
??

· Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,215 Posts
???

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,905 Posts
Sumitomos would handle that no problem
🤔 I think I detect a hint of sarcasm.
Trick to driving on sand is to let some air out of the tires. Maybe around 20psi. As much as possible without driving on the sidewalls.

· Registered
13,227 Posts
I've driven on sand twice and both times the Pilot did great! I was really impressed with it on this sandy trail in Florida's Picayune Strand State Forest!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The Pilot, properly driven, is a surprisingly good dune buggy.

Kind of like for snow. It'll usually do you right as long as you don't bottom out.

· Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We have the Staun Deflators that just screw on and are preset for 18psi. When beaching I have a bag that has extra tow straps etc, Beach has compressor with 4 lines but extra ports further down the path. Many like me carry an air hose/chuck to use those or you might be waiting along time. Also carry a Viair compressor in case of lines or compressor goes down that has happened numerous times.

Many "real trucks" and Jeeps get stuck by me, normally first time out there.
I figured I would continue this over here instead of hijack the quiet tires thread.

I checked out those Staun Deflators, damn pricey but I'm sure worth it. I was reading reviews and folks mention the cheaper ones take 2-3 times longer to deflate.

Ain't nobody got time for that.
I'm assuming this is one of those "buy once, cry once" type of things. Might have to accidentally have 1 too many tonight and order them.

I have the same brand compressor Vliar, I think I have the 85P, I got lucky on a black Friday deal a few years ago.
Not sure the difference in models but its been reliable, once it gets up to about 40psi it moves slowly and the thing gets hot.

One of the annoying things with the Pilot is the recovery points....
Ended up buying this: Curt 45832 D-Ring Shackle for Hitch

In the event I get stuck, might help make things easier to get out.

I need to find some tow straps, do you remember which ones you ordered?

Thanks!

· Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
1,264 Posts
I think I had posted some off the road/beach stuff in a different thread.

I like the Staun's. The other choice was going to be the ARB one that removes the valve core. Friend has that and works well but Staun is much easier for wife/daughter. By the time we get to the 4th tire screwing them on the first is almost done. You can drive with them slow but we don't, no need for us but you could drive up out of the way then remove. The ground point bolt mod is good for the compressor.

For the beach bag I splurged and bought the 3/4"x20" Masterpull Super Yanker. Watch some videos on the kinetic recovery ropes. Many choices from Bubba Rope, ASR Off road, Rhino, Voodoo and Amazon. I only used it once to help someone else but it was very smooth and helped "tug" with not much jolt. They bought one afterward. I have one of the 2"x20' nylon snatch straps I think from HarborFreight in each car all the time by the spare. They work but not much "give", I used them to help people stuck in snow etc, would rather have had the kinetic. I also used to tow my son's car 1-2 times locally. My next purchase will be a couple soft shackles for each car. I have the regular shackles in a couple sizes currently. I also have an extra hitch pin in each vehicle. If I'm stuck some SUV/Truck might be willing to help me but do no have straps/shackles and nervous to attach underneath. I can put the nylon strap right into the hitch if they have and secure with the extra pin. Knowing it's a tow point is easier to explain.

For the Pilot I like the soft shackle for the front anchor point if needed. Each car also has a folding snow shovel Costco folding shovel. These fold pretty flat and stay in storage area. These got good ratings and not expensive. Would I rather have a real folding Avalanche shovel, sure but the others were quick when shopping one day.

Besides that when I go to beach I bring a couple 3-4ft 2x6's or 2x8's to put under tire if needed or make a more solid jack base. Fingers crossed, not needed yet. Oh Yeah and full size spare. Donut does not work well in sand if needed. There was a list of stuff you had to have of which that is most. I think fire extinguisher, first aid kit and possibly port a potty also. I have the FA always and some some WAG bags. FE is with the beach bag stuff. Boy Scout way. Better to be prepared and not need it.

My Viair is the 88P. Clamp on 20 amp to battery, not using the small wire car power ports. more pressure if needed, 5 minutes more duty cycle, a little more CFM Compressor Comparison Chart | VIAIR Corporation

· Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Vehicle

A little over cast today but the beach was open. Hurricane Ian shut down parts where the sea wall was damaged.

Found a great quiet spot not too far from the dog beach and was able to have a relaxing afternoon.

Some folks are testing their luck and driving in the surf, only a matter of time before they get stuck or the local fuzz remove them.

· Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
Some folks are testing their luck and driving in the surf, only a matter of time before they get stuck or the local fuzz remove them.
Fun times if you don’t get stuck. Things go south fast if the tide starts rolling in. Hefty fines from lack of permits, shovel, recovery gear or price-to-be determined tow truck drivers.

· Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
1,264 Posts
A little over cast today but the beach was open. Hurricane Ian shut down parts where the sea wall was damaged.

Found a great quiet spot not too far from the dog beach and was able to have a relaxing afternoon.

@Highspeedbail - do you do any special washout underneath after the beach trips? I know some fisherman around here that are pretty religious at using Salt-Away or some version after their outings or at least every other week. Most of them have also done Fluid Film or some rust preventative undercoating.

I didn't do that with the Sequoia and just the normal winter road salt up here got into the poorly sealed seams and it started rusting out in many places underneath and that was before we did beach trips but many ski trips. I was always pretty good at rinsing out underneath when I washed it and doing undercarriage wash at the local drive through wash.

If you do any Fluid Film on the Pilot, be careful with the area above the rear differential. There is a couple sensors and an "atmospheric box" that might get clogged up and trigger CEL's that Honda will say not covered by warranty. :rolleyes: :oops:.

The Fluid Film on the Pilot always strikes up a conversation with the technicians while they look for oil leaks.

I saw 3 other SUV's today with the CC2's, I think they look great.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts