Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is next to one of my favorite beach restaurants in St.Augustine.

I've always seen the 4x4 only sign and wondered how necessary it really was.

20210315_134220.jpg

Today I thought about taking the Pilot out.... but decided to park and walk.

20210315_134303.jpg

For anyone wondering the sand is very soft, very silty and after walking on it.... zero chance "I" would drive on it even with AWD.

20210315_134420.jpg

Granted I'm not interested in a headache bc I'm already married with kids.

Maybe if I had more aggressive tires.... but on the stock Continentals inflated to 40psi cold...

...Sit and spin.....

... and I'm all about the spinners.

20210315_134519.jpg

Vehicles that got stuck:

Ford F150 Rwd
Jeep Patriot
Buick Enclave

I think I might need to start a beach tow service. Granted the Dodge Ram 6.7 turbo diesel still struggled towing people out in the super soft stuff. Had to pull forward and use the winch to drag it.

Anyone think they would have given it a shot?

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts

View attachment 146528

Today I thought about taking the Pilot out.... but decided to park and walk.

View attachment 146535

For anyone wondering the sand is very soft, very silty and after walking on it.... zero chance "I" would drive on it even with AWD.

View attachment 146530

Granted I'm not interested in a headache bc I'm already married with kids.

Maybe if I had more aggressive tires.... but on the stock Continentals inflated to 40psi cold...

...Sit and spin.....

... and I'm all about the spinners.

View attachment 146531

Vehicles that got stuck:

Ford F150 Rwd
Jeep Patriot
Buick Enclave

I think I might need to start a beach tow service. Granted the Dodge Ram 6.7 turbo diesel still struggled towing people out in the super soft stuff. Had to pull forward and use the winch to drag it.

Nice post! Nice pics

There were several areas of beach drives in TX that were very similar.
My RWD truck never did get stuck- but because I had more aggressive tires on it,
and, I had momentum and didn't let off in the deep silty stuff. Think Quick sand- not as bad, but some parts where there is already a LOT of loose sand- watch out!

·
Registered
2,941 Posts

I've taken the Pilot onto the beach in Corolla, NC. It was a bit risky as I did not have any recovery gear and did not air down. At the start it was super ez driving on the packed sand near the water but making the U-turn to leave the packed sand was when things got more challenging. Away from the water line the sand was hot, deep and cutting through ruts from other vehicles required more from the Pilot. The Pilot did great but ground clearance became the issue as there are no skid plates to protect the gas tank, driveshaft and exhaust from the pounding hot sand piles. I didn't get a chance for pics but a year later when working on the Pilot I discovered NC beach sand came home with me in the bumpers....
344442C7-8528-41A7-9F4E-74ED10D6B740.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've taken the Pilot onto the beach in Corolla, NC. It was a bit risky as I did not have any recovery gear and did not air down. At the start it was super ez driving on the packed sand near the water but making the U-turn to leave the packed sand was when things got more challenging. Away from the water line the sand was hot, deep and cutting through ruts from other vehicles required more from the Pilot. The Pilot did great but ground clearance became the issue as there are no skid plates to protect the gas tank, driveshaft and exhaust from the pounding hot sand piles. I didn't get a chance for pics but a year later when working on the Pilot I discovered NC beach sand came home with me in the bumpers.... View attachment 146538

Too funny.

Some of the beaches in Florida are vehicle friendly... I remember pushing a 99' Saturn w/ 17 inch rims out of the soft stuff. We were rookies and left all the windows open. By the time we cleared it there was an inch of sand inside.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Young and dumb

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Too funny.

Some of the beaches in Florida are vehicle friendly... I remember pushing a 99' Saturn w/ 17 inch rims out of the soft stuff. We were rookies and left all the windows open. By the time we cleared it there was an inch of sand inside.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Young and dumb
The first NASCAR-sanctioned race was on Daytona Beach (on the beach not in the speedway).

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
It was too early for Margaritas. Mojitos and Coronas. I think the tab was equal to a couple P03's, no idea we had broke a couple windows.

Oh well.... Next!!!!!!
Social distance from those Coronas until you've gotten your second shot. :)

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Very nice... it was in the low 40s and gusty here yesterday, great day to have a meeting outside.

I wouldn't hesitate to take my Pilot on a beach but not if the sand is soft since I have all season tires. My mom has a Wrangler Willys Wheeler with a limited slip rear and quality all terrain tires, I'd take that anywhere.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
177 Posts
Very nice... it was in the low 40s and gusty here yesterday, great day to have a meeting outside.

I wouldn't hesitate to take my Pilot on a beach but not if the sand is soft since I have all season tires. My mom has a Wrangler Willys Wheeler with a limited slip rear and quality all terrain tires, I'd take that anywhere.
If you dropped air pressure to 25-28, you probably would be fine. In Sand mode, the car always starts in AWD with 70% allocated to the back.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
We are leaving around lunchtime today to take the kids to OCMD... no beach driving and too cold to get in the Ocean but the place has an indoor pool.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We are leaving around lunchtime today to take the kids to OCMD... no beach driving and too cold to get in the Ocean but the place has an indoor pool.
I've heard thats a very popular place and the population doubles or triples over the summer. Would love to check it out sometime.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I've heard thats a very popular place and the population doubles or triples over the summer. Would love to check it out sometime.
It does get very crowded during the summer. I'd recommend a long weekend if you want to take it all in, but IMO it's gone downhill the last 10-15 years in that there's more crime and it's not as family friendly. We prefer to go to Stone Harbor, NJ but that's quite a bit more pricey so the DE beaches are our middle ground. It is fun to go see the wild horses on Assateague.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We take our Pilot out on the beaches of Cape Cod and Nantucket every summer. I doubt the sand in St Augustine is any softer than what we find. Aggressive tires are the wrong answer, and in fact on the Cape they are "picky" about what tires they allow you out with. Smoother tires don't dig if you make the mistake of spinning a tire, but in general the real trick is to air down. Cape Cod National Seashore rules require 12 psi or LESS, mandatory. We run between 10 and 12, drive with a Very soft foot on the gas, and I've never been stuck. Yes, you do need to air back up once you hit the pavement but at the National Seashore and where we go on Nantucket they supply stations to do just that. It's a great way to haul all that junk out on the sand, and one of the highlights of our trips.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts