Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with 2016 and newer driver there pilot on the beaches? Like to hear how they are.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Anyone with 2016 and newer driver there pilot on the beaches? Like to hear how they are.
They Don't ..they sink like rocks

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Haven't tried yet with Pilot but will this summer. My biggest concern as in other thread is the ground clearance and lack of easy access front tow/recovery point. Mine has the 18" rims, 17" would probably be better with some larger tires. Know where your recovery points are. If you don't have a hitch, factory one is highly recommended as it sits higher than the aftermarket and gives you solid anchor point. As other thread stated- Shovel, boards (or maxtrax), Tire deflators, good compressor (I have Viair 88P clamps to battery not power outlet).

Don't use normal or snow mode as it utilizes brakes to try and stop wheels from spinning as well as the traction control killing throttle. Mud or Sand mode disables some of the nanny and usses the clutches in differentials keeping power to all wheels. One of my threads/posts had the links to throttle mapping for the various modes. try on dry ground and maybe light mud so you can feel the difference before you beach it.

Front and Rear Tow hooks (recovery hooks)?

Did Gen 3 eliminate the towing eye?

More pics from Rebelle rally. Looks like they got stuck a couple times but that was 1700 miles off road- 2019 Honda Pilot Tackles Rebelle Rally | Kelley Blue Book

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took off the front spoiler under the bumper and install rear air bag. It raises the body but not the frame. What helps is buying the cheapest tires. In 10 years I never got stuck and Long Island beaches have very soft sand with deep tracks. I put 24 lb of air in all tires and drive it all year round. Never adjusted the air pressure. Love my 08 but with 200,000 I’m looking for a new 4x4. With pilots new tracking all wheel system I wanted to hear more guys on the beach. They said my 08 would be crappy on the beach. She been great so far. The only time I almost got stuck is I park the car on the beach and when I took off again I wasn’t in 4x4 but she still went dam good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every year I tow a 7,500 parker. From Delaware to Long Island with no problems. I do stop even 2 hours and check everything- then I tow all my stuff in a trailer. Like I said with 200,000 miles I think she may be tired. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Honestly my biggest concerns with the new Pilot are ground clearance and wheel size... if you could get some 16" or even 17" wheels with bigger tires that will respond better to airing down it would help out a lot...

Honestly in your situation I don't know if I'd be looking at car based crossovers, I might be looking more towards the Tahoe/Armada type of vehicle, maybe even a 4Runner if that's not too small...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, your right. Pilot is great but I should get a Toyota 4 runner. I bought one for my daughter in 2015. I’m at her house now looking at it. Maybe I will buy my daughter a new one and take the 2015 with 60,000 mile. I hate to buy a new truck and beat it up on the beach.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Many of the surfcasters I met and friends who beach a lot, all run about 15psi. I know the sign at beach entrance say something about 20psi max. I have the Stauns deflators so the wife can just screw them on. 2016-19 are only rated for 5000lb towing IF you add the tranny cooler, 3500 without. I don't know what the old Pilots were.

IMO 24 psi is way too low for highway and handling safety, door jamb info should be minimum. Crazy excess heat build up leads to failure and potential roll overs (think old Ford Explorers).

I haven't looked too far for airbags or other but JSPORT makes the leveling kit 2016-2018 Honda Pilot JSport Performance Packages: College Hills Honda Maybe mine was sitting odd in the driveway but tire to fender only measured about 1/2" difference. On the Ridgelines you can see that rear is a lot higher.

Towing a 7500lb boat I would definitely want something better tow rated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with all that. I did put air bag and trans cooler. I been towing that boat for 10 years. I do keep 24 lb of air in tires all year but not for HW. The only time I’m on HW is went towing. This is the last year for towing boat. Pilot is now a beach buggy. Has served me well this car.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yesterday I pulled a couple of 20' sailboats out of Big Lagoon and didn't have any problems in "sand" mode with my 2018 EX and standard tire pressure. If we'd got stuck we had other rigs to pull us out, plus an inflator to allow low tire pressure if needed.

Using “sand” mode on the new Honda Pilot... - David Thorne Luckhardt
Looks like a bit of drought concern there. That $uck$. Pilot looked good but using boat ramp to access lake bed and get boat 100 yards out? Obviously not so good for larger heavier boats.

Sort of on topic as I watched some Aussie videos and beach. I know my utility trailer has those same small tires. Many of the video's had same thing and it was like an anchor as it just dug in. My old pop up had small diameter but much wider tires on it for load. Wondering if that would help or be worse. At least they would spread better if aired down or cover wider if not.

Some of these videos are painful to watch- YouTube The quote from the video "Sand driving does not have to be this difficult everyone, such a simple technique such as letting your tyres down to a Maximum (Yes Maximum) of 18PSI would prevent so much of the incidents we regularly get sent in regarding this area.
18PSI Is a starting point for pressures in this sort of soft sand and contrary to popular belief NO you will not instantly dislodge your tyre from the rim if you go lower. This area is on the other side of the country to us but even by looking at this sand 14PSI would be our starting pressure and drop by 2psi as needed.
As always when running pressures below 18PSI be very careful when steering and keep speeds low. With all modern 4WD vehicles VERY important to turn OFF Electronic Stability Control before entering soft sand.
There is a lot to be learnt about using your 4WD in soft sand and as daunting as it may seem when watching these sorts of videos, it really does not have to be with the proper techniques."

Many things to be learned for novice also in linked/suggested videos like "never use your trailer ball as anchor point", differences between tow strap, snatch strap, chains, kinetic recovery rope and how they hook up to where.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hear you about wider trailer tires. In this video you can see my boat trailer tires ploughing up the sand instead of rolling over it. In the dim past I put auto tires on a larger boat trailer and they worked well, but I don't think they're available for the smaller wheel sizes.

My new Honda Pilot in "sand" mode... - David Thorne Luckhardt

·
Registered
336 Posts
This is what was on my Coleman Popup trailer. Also popular for for snowmobile trailers. I don't now about the lug pattern/spacing.

https://www.amazon.com/Triton-18-5X8-50-8-CLASS-SNOWMOBILE-TRAILER/dp/B00AMNJH3Q

For my wife I bought the Staun Deflators https://www.amazon.com/Staun-Automatic-Tire-Deflators-Standard/dp/B00QBPBLWY they make airing down real easy. By the time the 4th one is screwed on, 1st one is almost down to pressure. They come factory set at 18psi. Of course airing up afterward is the downside. The beaches by us have air stations but they get busy and sometimes compressor goes down. I have Viair 88P to take care of that just in case. https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B005ASY23I/ref=pd_cp_263_1?pd_rd_w=qiSkP&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=JPBHFMAP1N0PCHTH6MRZ&pd_rd_r=4fdb4b94-7281-11e9-a70e-fdfd69152f1b&pd_rd_wg=RgUm5&pd_rd_i=B005ASY23I&psc=1&refRID=JPBHFMAP1N0PCHTH6MRZ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts