Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any difference between 4WD and AWD for 2007 Pilot ?

My truck is 4WD and has that badge on back of truck but I see AWD all the time in the literature as well as AWD badge on the back of those trucks.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
All older pilots are VTM-4, Honda version of a 4WD. They gave up later on and, beginning with 2016MY, Pilots came with i-VTM4 AWD.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
All older pilots are VTM-4, Honda version of a 4WD. They gave up later on and, beginning with 2016MY, Pilots came with i-VTM4 AWD.
Correct, Honda badged first and second gens as "4WD."
Guess they were going after the [email protected] Jeep demographic.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Purists can say that the two terms are not interchangeable, but the car companies think they are and use them as marketing descriptors, not technical specs.

- Mark

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
My take is pretty basic. 4WD has a true low range (not like the Cherokee and Renegade that just lock 1st gear) and AWD does not.

So what does this mean for a vehicle like my dad's Yukon Denali? It has a ladder frame, solid rear axle, true front and rear differentials but it does not have a low range in the transfer case, just a viscous or clutched coupling to distribute the torque. Honestly, due to the construction and more heavy duty nature of it I consider it to be 4WD.

Can the vehicle off road for hours without components overheating? Go in the sand without overheating? Is the system designed for toughness and to do hard work or as a traction assist for a family hauler? These are questions I ask when evaluating how I classify each system.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
For anyone who ever owned a Subaru, AWD is pretty straight-forward: 'cause of a full-time AWD, a tiny empty 2.5L AWD Impreza averages the same MPG (even in the city, but even more so on the highway) as a fully-loaded 3.5L big-ass 4WD Honda Pilot that runs mostly on FWD until it needs anything from the rear axle. Speaking as a former owner of an Impreza :)

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
For anyone who ever owned a Subaru, AWD is pretty straight-forward: 'cause of a full-time AWD, a tiny empty 2.5L AWD Impreza averages the same MPG (even in the city, but even more so on the highway) as a fully-loaded 3.5L big-ass 4WD Honda Pilot that runs mostly on FWD until it needs anything from the rear axle. Speaking as a former owner of an Impreza :)
Haha I hear the new ones do have some decoupling but my sister's 2.5L Outback 2019 doesn't impress that much.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
OP, What TRUCK?
Are you calling your Pilot a Truck? As a mid size truck owner, I almost take offense at that LOL.

That link in post #2 pretty much sums it up.

Our 2015 Pilot has a badge on the back that says '4WD' too.
It's NOT truly a 4 WD!! It can get some power to all 4 wheels, with the VSA off and the Locked button pushed on, in 1st, 2nd, and/or R gear is selected manually and only under 18 mph!! Again, it says 4WD- it's not truly a 4WD though.

As someone posted, those terms to them are more of a marketing tool.

So, is your Pilot is a 'Truck'? My Pilots are Unibody SUV's.

The Ridgeline, IMHO- is not a 'truck' either

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,317 Posts
It might interest you’ll to know that there have been many prior threads on this topic.
Basically the arguments go, it’s a 4wd no it’s AWD....
And nobody gets along.
Everyone gets cranky.
Thread gets closed.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Whatever you want to call it, the Honda VTM-4 system is a superior computer controlled drive. 2WD when the roads are clean. A flexible, self-adjusting mult-wheel drive system when needed. I-VTM4 (on the newer Pilots) gives you automatic torque vectoring as needed from either side of the rear differential. Call it what you wish, it's a really good system.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I always thought that AWD meant a system that is always driving all the wheels (ala Subaru) and 4WD was a system that could be shifted between 2 and 4 wheel drive. I suppose the Pilot system (and that in our Elements) falls into the 4WD category because it is not necessarily driving all the wheels all the time, even though the driver isn't doing the shifting between 2 and 4 WD.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I thought Subaru‘s AWD varied torque front to rear automatically, all of the time, no?

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I always thought that AWD meant a system that is always driving all the wheels (ala Subaru) and 4WD was a system that could be shifted between 2 and 4 wheel drive. I suppose the Pilot system (and that in our Elements) falls into the 4WD category because it is not necessarily driving all the wheels all the time, even though the driver isn't doing the shifting between 2 and 4 WD.
This is what Rocky is referring to... now somebody will argue with you that what you are describing is the definition of AWD because they are traction assist devices that are meant to be temporarily used. Personally, I fall in the latter category.

I thought Subaru‘s AWD varied tongue front to rear automatically, all of the time, no?
Depends on which generation... it's changed over the years and model to model.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
285 Posts
4WD it IS when you drop down to gear selector number 1 and hit the lock button.
AWD it IS under any other situation. I read somewhere (maybe owners manual) under hard acceleration from a stop the system will distribute more torque to the rear axle and differential then as the speed increases it bias more to the front wheels

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
This should clear things up. Happy reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Do all you fine people realize the OP has not even chimed back in once?
Such is life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.