Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I need to take my car for state inspection/emission here in PA today. I currently don't have any maintenance reminders in my car.My car currently has 46K. I always take it to the Honda Dealer. Every time I go always try to sell me some Maintenance package and I want to be prepared this time. What is typically recommended at 45K from a service standpoint?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
Do you have any maintenance records? Without knowing when fluids were changed last you will no idea what is required. Transmission fluid will definitely need changing if it hasn't been done in the last 20k.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The Touring which has the ZF 9 speed transmission usually doesn't call for transmission drain and fill until about 60000 miles per the MM code #3. The EX and lower models with the 6 speed transmission call for the fluid drain and fill around 30000 miles.

If it's an AWD, the rear differential should have been changed around 15000 miles or so, MM code #6. It calls for it again about every 30000 miles after that I believe. May be a difference in the miles if you tow or drive in mountainous areas.

Has the brake fluid been changed. That is called for every 3 years.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The Touring which has the ZF 9 speed transmission usually doesn't call for transmission drain and fill until about 60000 miles per the MM code #3.
Wait what! 60k miles with no fluid change?! Seems really odd to me lol. I’m probably going to get mine done at 20 or 30k miles, and not 60k lmao.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,594 Posts
If they try to sell you a 45k service, that is a total scam. If your Pilot has AWD, the rear differential fluid should have been changed by now, but you should be good with everything else.

Transmission fluid for the 9 speed doesn't need to be done until 60k miles. I am all for taking care of your cars, but unnecessary over maintenance makes car ownership every expensive very quick. If you follow the Maintenance Minder then there shouldn't be set intervals (like 45k miles). It is calculated based on driving habits, mileage and time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I assume a Honda dealer is performing the State inspection? If the Oil Life isn’t 15% or less then no need for them to do any maintenance services. When MM prompts for service it will let you know what service is required. Also if you’re having the vehicle serviced at a Honda dealer, the service record is available on the Honda Owners web site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All,
I am taking the car to the Honda Dealer for State/Emissions. I pulled up the maintenance done from the Honda Owners website(thanks Cbayman) and below are the details
Is the highlighted one the transmission fluid?

Date:02/01/2020
Mileage: 44040

Job: Service: Description: Part Name(s): Part Number(s):
2 EXPRESS LANE SERVICE MULTI POINT INSPECTION CHECK EXPRESS LANE SERVICE MULTI POINT INSPECTION CHECK
3 CHANGE OIL AND FILTER ADD VPS ADDITIVE-CROSS CHANGE OIL AND FILTER ADD VPS ADDITIVE CROSS FILTER OIL | WASHER DRAIN 14MM 15400-PLM-A02 | 94109-14000
4 CUSTOMER STATES DRAIN DIFFERENTIAL FLUID REFILL CUSTOMER STATES DRAIN DIFFERENTIAL FLUID REFILL FLUID DPF II 08200-9007
5 DECLINED MISCELLANEOUS REPAIR DECLINED MISCELLANEOUS REPAIR

Date:07/27/2019
Mileage: 37225

1 MULTI POINT INSPECTION CHECK MPI MULTI POINT INSPECTION CHECK MPI
4 ANNUAL PA.STATE EMISSIONS TEST ANNUAL PA STATE EMISSIONS TEST
5 CHANGE OIL AND FILTER CHECK AND TOP OFF FLUIDS AS CHANGE OIL AND FILTER CHECK AND TOP OFF FLUIDS AS WASHER DRAIN 14MM | FILTER OIL 94109-14000 | 15400-PLM-A02
6 DECLINED PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE SERVICES DECLINED PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE SERVICES

Date:01/05/2019
Mileage:30195

2 CHANGE OIL AND FILTER ADD MOA-BRAKE FLUID EXCHANGE CHANGE OIL AND FILTER ADD MOA BRAKE FLUID EXCHANGE 15 OFF FILTER OIL | WASHER DRAIN 14MM | ATF TYPE 3 1 15400-PLM-A02 | 94109-14000 | 08200-9017

Date: 06/11/2018
Mileage:24433

3 ANNUAL PA.STATE EMISSIONS TEST ANNUAL PA STATE EMISSIONS TEST
4 DRAIN DIFFERENTIAL FLUID REFILL NEW FLUID TOP OFF DRAIN DIFFERENTIAL FLUID REFILL NEW FLUID TOP OFF FLUID DPF II 08200-9007
5 CHANGE OIL AND FILTER ADD MOA ADDITIVE-CROSS CHANGE OIL AND FILTER ADD MOA ADDITIVE CROSS FILTER OIL | WASHER DRAIN 14MM 15400-PLM-A02 | 94109-14000
6 REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER AND CABIN A/C FILTER REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER AND CABIN A C FILTER ELEMENT FILTER | ELEMENT FILTER 80292-SDA-407 | 80292-TZ3-A41

Date:01/19/2018
Mileage: 18100

3 CHANGE OIL AND FILTER ADD MOA ADDITIVE-CROSS CHANGE OIL AND FILTER ADD MOA ADDITIVE CROSS FILTER OIL | WASHER DRAIN 14MM 15400-PLM-A02 | 94109-14000

Date:07/07/2017
Mileage:11863

2 CHANGE OIL AND FILTER CHECK AND TOP OFF FLUIDS AS CHANGE OIL AND FILTER CHECK AND TOP OFF FLUIDS AS FILTER OIL | WASHER DRAIN 14MM 15400-PLM-A02 | 94109-14000
4 ANNUAL PA. STATE EMISSIONS TEST ANNUAL PA STATE EMISSIONS TEST

Date:02/25/2017
Mileage:6926

1 FREE OIL CHANGE PERFORM DEAN HONDA FREE OIL CHANGE FILTER, O | WASHER, D 15400-PLM-A02 | 94109-14000
2 EXPRESS ROTATE PERFORM EXPRESS TIRE ROTATION
3 MULTI POINT INSP CUST REQUESTS PERFORM HONDA MULTI-POINT INSPECTION

Date:07/26/2016
Mileage:1

1 PRE DELIVERY INSPECT PERFORM PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION.
2 STATE INSPECTION. PERFORM STATE INSPECTION
3 NEW CAR I/M EXEMPT. PERFORM NEW CAR EMISSION EXEMPTION
4 ADD MUDFLAPS INSTALL MUDFLAPS SPLASH GU 08P00-TG7-100

·
Registered
268 Posts
@Ven Looks like your last oil change was only 2K miles ago. You should not require any maintenance unless one of those declined services was changing the ATF. If you have the 6 speed AT, I think the ATF and transfer case fluid should have been changed by now but I’m only have 15K on my vehicle so I’m not sure. Overall it looks like your dealer is playing it straight. All services look reasonable to me.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
What is typically recommended at 45K from a service standpoint?
The recommended maintenance is based on whatever codes show up on the maintenance minder display when the oil life gets down to 15%, or less. There is no mileage-based maintenance schedule.

I am taking the car to the Honda Dealer for State/Emissions. I pulled up the maintenance done from the Honda Owners website(thanks Cbayman) and below are the details
Is the highlighted one the transmission fluid?

Date:02/01/2020
Mileage: 44040
4 CUSTOMER STATES DRAIN DIFFERENTIAL FLUID REFILL CUSTOMER STATES DRAIN DIFFERENTIAL FLUID REFILL FLUID DPF II 08200-9007

Date: 06/11/2018
Mileage:24433
4 DRAIN DIFFERENTIAL FLUID REFILL NEW FLUID TOP OFF DRAIN DIFFERENTIAL FLUID REFILL NEW FLUID TOP OFF FLUID DPF II 08200-9007
The (rear) differential fluid has been replaced twice, thus far.
That corresponds to a '6' code on the maintenance minder display.

The records you posted show no evidence of a transmission fluid (or transfer case fluid) change.
That corresponds to a '3' code on the maintenance minder display.
Have you seen a '3' code, yet?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts