Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Been gone for a little while! I missed all the new posts (esp. Kemosabe's pictures - they are on the money every time!)

Anyways, did my first road trip last weekend (just getting to 800+). While away, I toted around my wife, my 3 kids and 2 sister-in-laws in MD. Let me tell you, I had no problem with space at all. In fact, I had two of my kids in the third row (with booster car seats), and the youngest on the second row (in another booster car seat) between my two in-laws. Everyone was comfortable and not cramped at all.:2:

I wanted to mention this in case there is anyone out there who is looking to buy a Pilot and is concerned about the space when using car seats (and who may want to utilize all or most of the seats available). CAUTION: I did try to put all three booster car seats in the third row, but that was a NO GO -- they just would not fit! If anyone can do this, let us know :) However, the middle space on the third row was big enough for an older child who would not have needed a car seat!

BTW, the RES is the bomb!:18: One of my in-laws enjoyed the Thomas The Tank Engine games on the DVD as much as my kids did. She wanted to hold the remote control the entire time!

When the it comes to passenger space, the Pilot rules! Happy Piloting!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey CoasterCrazy! Good to hear you had plenty of room! We haven't taken our Pilot on a long trip yet, (we're at about 1600 miles), but we did take eight people to a hockey game a couple of weeks ago. Probably spent about 2 hours in the car, total.

We had three adults, and 5 kids. I let the two guys sit up front, put the three smallest kids in the rear seat, and I sat in the second row with my 4 year old son (in his booster seat), and my 13 year old "baby girl," who, at 5' 11" is 6 inches taller than I am! We were all comfortable enough, even though everyone had heavy winter coats, etc.

The only problem we had was that I sat in the middle seat of the 2nd row and apparently I was blocking the view of the RES of whoever was sitting directly behind me. I scrunched down in my seat as far as I could (my knees were in the front row!).

Anyway, I have six in my family, but it is great knowing we bring along a couple of extras if we need to every now and then.

Happy PILOTing!

·
Registered
186 Posts
We too are very happy with the extra space provided by the third row seating.

However, this past week I had some trouble with rear facing car seats. They will NOT fit in the third row at all and are even tight behind me in the driver's seat as I like the seat all the way back.

Looking forward to the kids growing out of the car seats to get us more flexibility in seating arrangements.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Hey CoasterCrazy26 -- which part of Maryland were you visiting? Did you put all of your luggage in the remaining space behind the 3rd row or up on the roof?
Been gone for a little while! I missed all the new posts (esp. Kemosabe's pictures - they are on the money every time!)
...and speaking of being on the money...

In Kemosabe We Trust

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Infant & booster seats: Calling all Pilot Pros

I have to situate 3 children in the Pilot, and one of them will be in an infant carrier, does anyone know what the best set up would be for 3 kids? I have one booster, one infant seat, and one free sitting 6 year old who just graduated from the booster. I wish the 60/40 split was reversed so I could put the baby in the middle, the booster on the passenger side and free sitting 6 year old behind the driver...then I could just flip the seat forward to let others into the 3rd row if need be. I know this will just be trial and error, but thought maybe there are some parents out there who could give me some tips about the best seating arrangement. I know I should stop complaining and just walk around to the other side of the car, but it IS inconvenient considering how many times a day a mommy has to get the kids in and out. :5: :5: :5:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kemosabe said:
Hey CoasterCrazy26 -- which part of Maryland were you visiting?
Kemsobe,
We were in Baltimore for the "Disney On Ice" show at the 1st Mariner Arena (formerly known as the Baltimore Arena). The kids loved it - well, I did too!! I was a Disney fan before I had kids, so what can I say. BTW, I was born and raised there as well!

kemosabe said:
Did you put all of your luggage in the remaining space behind the 3rd row or up on the roof?
We did have our luggage behind the third row on the way down from PA, but we had dropped it off upon arrival. Still, there would have been no problems if we had eight on the way down! :)

Personally, I am looking forward to a longer trip this spring to Cedar Point (see my signature below) Keep up the good work on those pictures!

Happy Piloting!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
CoasterCrazy26 said:

Kemsobe,
We were in Baltimore for the "Disney On Ice" show at the 1st Mariner Arena (formerly known as the Baltimore Arena). The kids loved it - well, I did too!! I was a Disney fan before I had kids, so what can I say. BTW, I was born and raised there as well!
Cool! Didn't realize that you were a native... did you take the family to the Inner Harbor (aquarium, science museum, etc.)? You came all the way down from Penn State for the Disney show? Or do you still have family in Bal'more?

CoasterCrazy26 said:

We did have our luggage behind the third row on the way down from PA, but we had dropped it off upon arrival. Still, there would have been no problems if we had eight on the way down! :)

Personally, I am looking forward to a longer trip this spring to Cedar Point (see my signature below) Keep up the good work on those pictures!

Happy Piloting!
Yes, three years ago on our way to Cleveland for my friend's wedding, I wanted to swing by Cedar Point (I :10: roller coasters, too), but the wife is deathly afraid to ride them, so we had to pass (literally pass it) on it. Oh well... :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Infant & booster seats: Calling all Pilot Pros

74PILOTMOM said:
I have to situate 3 children in the Pilot, and one of them will be in an infant carrier, does anyone know what the best set up would be for 3 kids? I have one booster, one infant seat, and one free sitting 6 year old who just graduated from the booster. I wish the 60/40 split was reversed so I could put the baby in the middle, the booster on the passenger side and free sitting 6 year old behind the driver...then I could just flip the seat forward to let others into the 3rd row if need be. I know this will just be trial and error, but thought maybe there are some parents out there who could give me some tips about the best seating arrangement. I know I should stop complaining and just walk around to the other side of the car, but it IS inconvenient considering how many times a day a mommy has to get the kids in and out. :5: :5: :5:
74PILOTMOM,
Well, IMHO I think it's always best to put the youngest in the middle of the second row. I would think it's the safest seating position for an infant seat. The booster seat should/could go on either side but better on the driver side if you want the easiest way to let others (hopefully kids due to space) into the third row. Once they are in, your six year old can sit behind the passenger seat. Also, the larger section (60% side) should slide forward just like the 40% side of the second row. I did this the other day to try it out, and it did move forward. There is a lever on the left side of the seat (just like the one on the right side, but it sometimes is hidden under the hanging seat belt! Check this out if you have not done it yet!

The engineering in this Pilot is incredible!:eek: They paid a lot of attention to the small things (unlike in my former SUV - Mitsu. Mont. Spt). Take care.

Happy Piloting!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kemosabe said:

Cool! Didn't realize that you were a native... did you take the family to the Inner Harbor (aquarium, science museum, etc.)? You came all the way down from Penn State for the Disney show? Or do you still have family in Bal'more?

Yep, we just came down for the show -- although 95% of our family is currently residing in MD and we visit often!

Yes, three years ago on our way to Cleveland for my friend's wedding, I wanted to swing by Cedar Point (I :10: roller coasters, too), but the wife is deathly afraid to ride them, so we had to pass (literally pass it) on it. Oh well... :(
Let your wife know that CP has more rides than any other park (or at least they held the record last year) and she would probably enjoy it (especially if you are THAT CLOSE) !!
YES, it is true that CP is the "Rollercoaster Capital of the World", but they have rides for everyone. My wife rode the Millennium Force (310 ft) with me once, and then she vowed to never ride it again! :p She will now only go on the 205 ft. (Magnum XL-200) and anything below that height. Get there when you can - IT IS TRULY THE GREATEST PARK!!

Happy Piloting My Friend

·
Registered
170 Posts
CoasterCrazy26 said:

Let your wife know that CP has more rides than any other park (or at least they held the record last year) and she would probably enjoy it (especially if you are THAT CLOSE) !!
YES, it is true that CP is the "Rollercoaster Capital of the World", but they have rides for everyone. My wife rode the Millennium Force (310 ft) with me once, and then she vowed to never ride it again! :p She will now only go on the 205 ft. (Magnum XL) and anything below that height. Get there when you can - IT IS TRULY THE GREATEST PARK!!

Happy Piloting My Friend

Well, I been going to ask this for a while now- but now you really piqued my interest - Where & what is Cedar Point ?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Re: Re: Infant & booster seats: Calling all Pilot Pros

CoasterCrazy26 said:

74PILOTMOM,
Well, IMHO I think it's always best to put the youngest in the middle of the second row. I would think it's the safest seating position for an infant seat. The booster seat should/could go on either side but better on the driver side if you want the easiest way to let others (hopefully kids due to space) into the third row. Once they are in, your six year old can sit behind the passenger seat. Also, the larger section (60% side) should slide forward just like the 40% side of the second row. I did this the other day to try it out, and it did move forward. There is a lever on the left side of the seat (just like the one on the right side, but it sometimes is hidden under the hanging seat belt! Check this out if you have not done it yet!

The engineering in this Pilot is incredible!:eek: They paid a lot of attention to the small things (unlike in my former SUV - Mitsu. Mont. Spt). Take care.

Happy Piloting!
My only gripe with the 60/40 is that it's heavier to move the big side forward and I'm a 5'3 wimp (+ my Pilot is parked on our steep incline driveway.) But that's not Honda's fault I know :) I just wonder what the reasoning was when deciding to make the big side behind the driver. I'm sure Honda's engineering Gods have good reason. I think they run on pure genius...I don't- so I can't figure it out.:1pat:
I think that will be the set up I go with, infant in the middle, booster on the passenger side, 6 year old behind me (so he can jump out on the left at school and not get hit by cars!) Hopefully won't need the 3rd row too often, but just incase, the booster is easy to move.

I'm open to more opinions if anyone else has had to do the car seat shuffle ;)

My old car was a Buick Park Avenue...I totally agree with your engineering comment- Buick's flagship can't even touch Honda.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pre-sage pilot said:

Well, I been going to ask this for a while now- but now you really piqued my interest - Where & what is Cedar Point ?
pre-sage pilot,
I could go on and on, but I promise to keep it short! Cedar Point is a theme park located in Sandusky, OH (about midway between Toledo and Cleveland) north of I-80. They have a record setting collection of rollercoasters (16) and they will re-claim the world's tallest record in May '03 with a new 420 ft coaster called "Top Thrill Dragster". I've been to SFGA (Six Flags Great Adventure) many times, but it would never compare to CP.

If you are into coasters, you must get to CP!:4: It is now an annual family pilgrimage for us. My kids are just starting to ride the small coasters. They can start as early as 3 years old (if they meet the 36" height requirement for the smallest coasters). Then you can progress as you get taller (and braver) on various coaster sizes from 20ft thru 400 ft. My avatar shows the new 400+ ft. one in comparison to the older 300+ ft. one! This is the only park which can claim this feat! OK, OK, I will stop now. I just can't wait for opening day! It will be nice knowing that I will be comfortable this year with the Pilot leading us. Hope you can get there!

BTW, welcome to the Sage Club!! Happy Piloting!:2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
CoasterCrazy26 said:

We may have to have a PILOT-IN at CP this spring. My kids are all fired up to take the Pilot w/ DVD in May to ride the Dragster!:D

=p=

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Originally posted by 74PILOTMOM ...I just wonder what the reasoning was when deciding to make the big side behind the driver...
When I first read this, my best guess was so you could lay down the 40% seat, move forward the front passenger seat, and load long, narrow items without affecting the driver comfort - and still have 3 passengers. (I actually done this already.)

Originally posted by 74PILOTMOM ...infant in the middle, booster on the passenger side, 6 year old behind me (so he can jump out on the left at school and not get hit by cars!)...
But then when I read this statement, I started to think that the 40% is on the passenger side so passengers can unload the 2nd and 3rd rows on the right side (normal curb unloading) of the vehicle. To bad you have to unload from the left or you'd probably be praising the seat arrangement. ;)

I currently have only one kid seat in the middle of the 2nd row.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Someone told me that minivan sliding doors open on that side too, for curbside unloading...makes sense.
The cargo loading reason makes good sense too, I knew they had to have good reasons.
As a mommy, I should shut up and be driving an Odyssey, but just won't go there. I think I just need to get used to the daily load/unload the kids, and it will no longer be an issue with me.
We'll see...Baby due in just 3 days now!!!:eek:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
Someone told me that minivan sliding doors open on that side too, for curbside unloading...makes sense.
The cargo loading reason makes good sense too, I knew they had to have good reasons.

[ S N I P P E D ]

Cargo side loading was one of the reasons I bought my '96 Passport/Rodeo over the other SUVs (Pathfinder, Bronco) that had the rear mounted spare tire on the tailgate. My Passport was the only one that had the anchor point mounted on the driver's side to make loading easier (by virtue of how it swung open). See illustration below:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Re: Re: Infant & booster seats: Calling all Pilot Pros

CoasterCrazy26 said:

74PILOTMOM,
Well, IMHO I think it's always best to put the youngest in the middle of the second row. I would think it's the safest seating position for an infant seat.
That's always our first instinct, but it's not actually the best thing to do. You're right, it's the safest seating position in the car, and that's why child passenger safety techs recommend putting the least protected child in that middle position. And that would be the 6-year-old who isn't in any kind of seat at all. The rear-facing infant seat provides the most protection of any kind of child seat, so it's usually recommended that you place it on one of the outboard seats. And, as a bonus, that makes it easier for parents to move the baby in and out of the car.

Also, I hate to nag, but most 6-year-olds really should be using a booster seat. Your car's seatbelts were designed to fit a 175-lb adult, not a first-grader. Of course, some children are larger than others, and some cars are smaller than others, so age is not a good way to determine whether one needs a booster seat. The best method is this five-step test:

The 5-Step Test
1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to ride safely in the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Re: Infant & booster seats: Calling all Pilot Pros

tracy said:

That's always our first instinct, but it's not actually the best thing to do. You're right, it's the safest seating position in the car, and that's why child passenger safety techs recommend putting the least protected child in that middle position.

Also, I hate to nag, but most 6-year-olds really should be using a booster seat. ...

tracy,
I agree with you. I assumed that the 74PILOTMOM's 6 year old was already in a booster. That's why I said to put the little one in the middle. :)

74PILOTMOM,
tracy's right about the booster. If you are not using one for the 6 year-old, PLEASE GET ONE!! I have a 5 year old (turning 6 soon) and it is MANDATORY for all of my kids to sit in safety seats.
I see a woman put a her 5 year old boy in the front seat of a Chevy Suburban often at the school where my kid attends. She was confronted about it, but she still lets him ride there. Even after a discussion about the new PA legislation effective this Friday which requires all kids through 7 years of age to sit in one -- the law just changed from 4 or 5 years old, he still rides up front. She said that she did not know of the safety seat requirement, but he STILL rides in the front seat :confused:... and he even buckles himself in!

I assume that the manual from GM should state to NEVER place a child (esp. that young) in the front seat where the air bag is located -- it is just common sense. Someone rear ended us once and totaled our car (YES, it was a Honda), but we were all OK from the impact due to the engineering of the safey cage ... and the car seats. If my kids did not have those safety seats, they would have been thrown forward with so much force that someone would have been injured ... even with the seatbelts on! Seatbelts lock in such an incident to hold someone, but if for any reason they should fail ... the safety seat would help the child from getting seriously injured! PLEASE USE CHILD/BOOSTER SEATS -- ths is for anyone out there reading this!!

Happy Piloting!

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Somewhere I read some one having a problem installing any child seat in the Pilot (I don't remmeber where I read this). Is this true? We are expecting in August and if putting child seats in the Pilot is a problem well then bummer for us :-(

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
ramirami said:
Somewhere I read some one having a problem installing any child seat in the Pilot (I don't remember where I read this). Is this true? We are expecting in August and if putting child seats in the Pilot is a problem well then bummer for us :-(
I think the owner having problems was trying to install a seat in the third row (couldn't tighten his type of seat properly). I remember another owner saying they couldn't fit three seats in the third row, but two fit fine. If you don't have the need to use the third row, then it should be a problem (most vehicles don't have a third row...except minivans).

We only use the car seat in the middle of the second row, but it goes in and out easily and tightens normally.

If you don't have a car seat yet, be sure to get one with LATCH (Lower Anchor and Tethers for CHildren) connections. The Pilot has both the Lower Anchor points and the Tether hooks.

And by the way, "congratulations". :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts