Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, anyone has their 3rd row seat removed in the 2016-2021 Pilot? Would you share any pictures of what that looks like without the seats and ideas about removal? I would like to carry two bikes inside during winter and need more height (bikes don't fit with their wheels off when standing. I do need to keep the second row though. Thank you

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
586 Posts
Hey, anyone has their 3rd row seat removed in the 2016-2021 Pilot? Would you share any pictures of what that looks like without the seats and ideas about removal? I would like to carry two bikes inside during winter and need more height (bikes don't fit with their wheels off when standing. I do need to keep the second row though. Thank you

Would it be easier to leave the bikes flat and then have a big piece of cardboard in-between them?

Only reason I mention it, is it seems like a lot of work to remove the back seat.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,178 Posts
Would you consider a bike carrier that goes in the hitch receiver or on the roof? Lot easier than removing the rear seats, I would think.
And the wheels, etc.

What type/style of bikes are these that they won't fit upright even with the wheels off?

Reactions: kslu_wa

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Specialized Levo and Specialized Diverge. Wifes Levo is small but even with the front wheel off, both the front and the seat are over 29 inches. It does not help that the bike is 50lbs, so if I remove front and back wheel, I would need some sort of a sliding tray to get it in and out. I think Diverge's rear will fit if I remove the seat and the front wheel, but the front is over 29 inches (I guess, I can loosen the bars and drop them). Diverge is light, so it is less of a concern. Thinking of mounting both on a fork mount block attached to a board and putting that in the storage compartment in the back. Removing the seat on Levo is a pain because it has a seat drop cable. I need to be able to keep the rear tire on to roll the bike since it is too heavy.

Anyone has dealt with mountain bikes like 29er Enduro or Stumpjumper? How did you guys fit them in your Pilot's. I appreciate any ideas.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would you consider a bike carrier that goes in the hitch receiver or on the roof? Lot easier than removing the rear seats, I would think.
My Yakima Holdup is amazing and I use it most of the time, but going over mountain passes with snow and dirt during winter makes my heart ache for the bikes. I looked into bike covers but I am concerned with covering the rear of the car (both the license plate and break lights will be mostly covered). I am not sure how kindly the police is going to look on that needless to say it is less safe to travel.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would it be easier to leave the bikes flat and then have a big piece of cardboard in-between them?

Only reason I mention it, is it seems like a lot of work to remove the back seat.
I already considered it and actually did it a few times:) I also, need to fit a child bike trailer:) I know, I know, too many toys for a growing family. If bikes fit upright, I have a way to fit a bike trailer.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
My Yakima Holdup is amazing and I use it most of the time, but going over mountain passes with snow and dirt during winter makes my heart ache for the bikes. I looked into bike covers but I am concerned with covering the rear of the car (both the license plate and break lights will be mostly covered). I am not sure how kindly the police is going to look on that needless to say it is less safe to travel.
I've seen bike racks for the rear hitch receiver with stop/turn/running/backup lights that plug in like a trailer. There's also a spot for the license plate if you're so inclined. Some tilt up when not in use as well as tilt down to allow the rear hatch to be opened and accessed while the bikes are still on the rack.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
586 Posts

This might be a little too DYI but maybe you could try using a clear shower curtain liner.

You'd probably want one a little thicker than the cheapest from wally world but I imagine with the circular loops at the top and the magnets at the bottom you could secure it without too much wind flailing.

Tonight I got annoyed bc I had to move my seat post higher to get both bikes on the hitch tray bike rack. So I spent 30 minutes adjusting the trays so I wouldn't have to move my seat post again.

I've reach an all new level of Princess status.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ super fancy seats
62 Posts
I found this site. I'm just posting a pic. They built a storage platform in the space. This person documented everything in pics. credit where credit is due.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts