Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep the lap/shoulder belts in the centre seat anchored to the ceiling when not in use. Once in a while, the 3rd row one would come loose and hit the rear window when I'm driving. Someday I just worry that it will break the window. Strangely enough, I don't have this problem for the 2nd row one. In fact most of the time the 2nd row one is anchored to the ceiling and it works just fine. Frankly, I think it's a poor design because it should have something that snaps into the ceiling, instead of the way it is. When the vehicle is in motion, it could become loose. However, I've improvised and use velcro for additional support. The velcro is not obvious and it works fairly well. Recently, the adhesive has perhaps become "used" and it peeled off (again, while driving) and sure enough, the belt hit the rear window again, I've put it back and probably need to replace with new velcro so the adhesive is stronger.

Generally, it works but not 100%. I really don't think this can be fixed because it's a design "issue", though I'll probably ask next time I visit the dealer. I realize that according to the manual, it should be latched whenever the seats are up. That's generally what I do but most of the time the 3rd row seat is down. I find it distracting when I see it in my rear view mirror so I anchor it to the ceiling when not needed (even if seat is up).

Do you have this problem and how do you correct it?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You are not alone. It has happend to me a couple times and to others occasionally (see here).

Make sure you are inserting the small connector and the large buckle into there respective slots. I think it stays better if you pull the belt fully out until the locking mechanism engages and then let it retract (clicking) fully.

The adhesive on your Velcro will probably continue to weaken as it gets more into the summer. I've thought about sticking a strip (tape or cloth or something) on the large buckle before inserting it into the ceiling slot - might make the fit tighter.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Before posting I thought this must be happening to others. So I did a quick search but didn't see the other thread. Interestingly, BillR wrote that he had his ceiling holder slot replaced, while someone else indicated that Honda is aware of the problem. I make sure they're put in properly into the slots but it didn't work well at all (before my velcro idea).

I'm really surprised that Honda, usually pays attention to details, could miss something so trivial in their design. All it needs is something similar to the seat belt buckle (for the bigger latch) with a release button so it's solidly engaged when put into the ceiling slots. Quite simple, really.

I wish Honda would come up with a better design of the holder slots and replace them. I suppose I'll have to stick to my velcro idea ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
bkwon said:
...All it needs is something similar to the seat belt buckle (for the bigger latch) with a release button so it's solidly engaged when put into the ceiling slots. Quite simple, really....
Exactly, that would make it very secure. I suppose a slot relying on friction was cheaper to install than a buckle with moving parts. :(

I suppose those who have more problems keeping the buckle in probably have a part with slightly a loose molding and replacement with a tighter molding may fix the problem.

·
Registered
373 Posts
bkwon said:
Thanks. Before posting I thought this must be happening to others. So I did a quick search but didn't see the other thread. Interestingly, BillR wrote that he had his ceiling holder slot replaced, while someone else indicated that Honda is aware of the problem. I make sure they're put in properly into the slots but it didn't work well at all (before my velcro idea).
Bkwon, You don't have to live with it.
I had the dealer replace mine (both were popping out) and they've been fine since. At first they said it was normal but they had another Pilot in the showroom and when we compared them, they were latched in much more securely.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'm getting the rear air vents replaced this Wednesday. They're ridiculously fragile. I'll ask the dealer to have a look at the seat belt anchor problem too. Hopefully they'll agree it's a warranty issue. So far, they've been pretty good at getting my feedback. They call me after each service and recently left a message that they want to speak with me about Pilot after one year (anniversary coming up this week actually). It's a bit of "pain" to go but I guess I'll have to make time ... especially warranty work ... thanks again ... :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update: problems fixed

Replaced the middle seat belt holder in ceiling for the 3rd row today. Definitely better. It seems there's an "engaging mechanism" for the smaller slot. It's now much tighter so hopefully it'll stay. So I got rid of my velcro idea. Also, the rear air vents were replaced 2 weeks ago, and the new ones are much better too. Both problems fixed under warranty ... :)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: update: problems fixed

bkwon said:
Replaced the middle seat belt holder in ceiling for the 3rd row today. Definitely better. It seems there's an "engaging mechanism" for the smaller slot...
You are definitely right. I checked the floor model at the Dealer today (getting service) and both of the "in ceiling" middle seat belt holders have a more secure mechanism like you described. You can actually feel the small clip "click" into the ceiling and it stays in place when you tug lightly.

Seems Honda has revised the design to solve the "falling seat belt" problem. Even though it's only happened once or twice I'm getting mine replaced.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I had my Pilot in for the 30K service yesterday, and they have ordered a new "buckle pocket" for the 3rd row center belt.

I look forward to solid storage of that rarely-used belt!! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts