Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am about ready for my B16 service at 15k on my 2019 Pilot.

My dealer wants $325 plus tax for this service and said a big part of that was the $180 "brake service" which he said was disasembly, cleaning, and lubing of pins and clips.

I have done a bunch of brake jobs in my life and would NEVER have though of doing this on a 15k mile period.

A couple questions:
1) are the pilots calipers that fragile I need to worry about maintenance instead of a normal overhaul when the brakes are worn?
2) have your dealers charged you for this service when you had your your "B" services done?
I am going to do the diff service my self (they wanted $ 90 for that, which is INSANE for what it is) so other than oil and rotation anything else need to actually be done?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would recommend checking the pads yourself. Does the car shake if you brake from a high speed?
15,000 miles should not warrant brakes being replaced on any car. So I would NOT do it.

·
Banned
157 Posts
Preventive brake system maintenance is not only a smart thing to do, it will save you money in the long term.
Some people don’t understand or believe in maintenance, and would prefer to wait until a failure occurs. Those people are the uneducated majority who can barely tie their own shoelaces.
Keeping the pins and slider surfaces clean and lubricated goes a long way to preventing early brake failure due to seized calipers. The same thing goes for flushing the brake fluid on a yearly basis, more frequently if you live in a high-humidity area.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would recommend checking the pads yourself. Does the car shake if you brake from a high speed?
15,000 miles should not warrant brakes being replaced on any car. So I would NOT do it.
its not the pads,its cleaning and lubricating the calipers. I have never done this with a vehicle. I clean and relube them when I replace pads (normally around 60-70K) if they are too screwed up I replace the caliper at about $70/caliper (this is my first jap car though, all others were american pickups)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Preventive brake system maintenance is not only a smart thing to do, it will save you money in the long term.
Some people don’t understand or believe in maintenance, and would prefer to wait until a failure occurs. Those people are the uneducated majority who can barely tie their own shoelaces.
Keeping the pins and slider surfaces clean and lubricated goes a long way to preventing early brake failure due to seized calipers. The same thing goes for flushing the brake fluid on a yearly basis, more frequently if you live in a high-humidity area.
Is this something you have had done, or do on your own cars? $90 per axle to lube pins seems excessive for a 15k interval. that would be 4-5 times in the time a normal set of pads lasts.

·
Banned
157 Posts
Is this something you have had done, or do on your own cars? $90 per axle to lube pins seems excessive for a 15k interval. that would be 4-5 times in the time a normal set of pads lasts.
Yes, I do that myself when I change from winter tires back to all season tires. Brake work is easy, if a little messy. The calipers are already exposed when I’m changing out the winter tires. The more often you clean and lube your calipers, the longer your brake pads and rotors will last, and the better your brakes will work. Also, by getting more familiar with your vehicle’s brakes, you can spot if something is starting to go wrong earlier, when it’s easier to figure out, and you have more control over the situation compared to having a breakdown halfway across the country on a family vacation trip.
I usually get 5 to six years out of a set of pads and 10 years out of a set of rotors that way. Also, with less heat buildup due to freely operating calipers, wheel bearings and their seals last longer, and less brake dust builds up on the rims.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you're comfortable enough with brakes you can do it yourself. I wouldn't pay that much for it. I also have doubts they'll do it since most people wouldn't look and probably wouldn't know if it was done or not. Most things can be done at home. If you trust your dealer and don't wanna do it then pay it! You should do it one way or another.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can to the brakes and have access to a lift. What I was asking is if it was required. I have never heard of such frequent brake caliper service for a light duty system like this. I normally will rip them apart if they pulse, drag, or make noise otherwise just drive them. and like I said its normally around 60k miles.

thanks for your insight into this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do my brake job myself too. Never heard of 15000 mile lube on the pins. that's like what, 3 oil changes per 1 lube all the brake pins? with that frequency, you would think Honda would put that in the Maintenance Minder.
I guess if you live in a heavy salt environment (esp during the winter), you could lube them after the winter.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can to the brakes and have access to a lift. What I was asking is if it was required. I have never heard of such frequent brake caliper service for a light duty system like this. I normally will rip them apart if they pulse, drag, or make noise otherwise just drive them. and like I said its normally around 60k miles.

thanks for your insight into this.
given this is your first Japanese car, no there is morning special about the brakes on these cars. The pins don’t need to be lived (I’ve never heard of that being done independent of pad or rotor replacement). Tell the dealer you’re not interested. Or for peace of mind do it yourself. They are just trying to make some easy money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
this is a cash grab. These guys have been tuned up by every single scam there is. Much like the diagnostic fee for each and every warranty problem you bring up. This only works because people.................PAY FOR IT. They won't warranty your brakes anyway (wear item) so i would pass.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I figured it was a bit of BS as well but wanted to see if the brakes in these were known to have problems before before I blew it off. I know a honda tech and will give him a text at some point and see what he says (he was also a GM mechanic for 15 years before going import)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Please go online and see what is involved with servicing the brakes, last 2 times i got a B service, i let the dealer do it and checked when i got home and found that they did not do a good job and now i do it myself. Yes it can be time-consuming but at list you get it done right and nowadays they done even top up the fluids yet they off on it, yes i know you shouldn't top off your brake fluids

·
Banned
157 Posts
Please go online and see what is involved with servicing the brakes, last 2 times i got a B service, i let the dealer do it and checked when i got home and found that they did not do a good job and now i do it myself. Yes it can be time-consuming but at list you get it done right and nowadays they done even top up the fluids yet they off on it, yes i know you shouldn't top off your brake fluids
@enisad the last half of your post is very confusing. Can you be more specific about what was done incorrectly?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Enisaid,
If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you for your b17 service?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
when i took my car in for a B1 service which includes servicing the brake. They inspect the brake pads, lube the slide pins, lube the brake pad clip and calibrate the parking brakes if adjustments are needed. not only did they not lube none of the parts, one of the slid pins was sized in place and not sliding plus they did not put back the drag reduction clips. i was charged about $189 Canadian.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you live in the north where salt is used on the roads in the winter, then definitely do the brake service. You will avoid a stuck brake caliper in the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's a link where you can check the maintenance schedule for your Pilot (Login required).

Here's another link showing the schedule:

I found a link for the maintenance schedule for a 2017 Pilot, the latest year available on this site, that has more detail. It does not mention lubrication of pins and clips. However, as some have advised, it is not a bad idea, but I wonder about the high cost. I would suspect the info for a 2019 to be the same. It appears to be the same as the information for maintenance on my 2012 Pilot:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts