Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are interested in protecting the door edge of your Pilot, try a 3M polyurethane protective tape. This clear tape is similar to the material used for the clear mask/clear bra to protect the front of the Pilot from stone chips. The tape I am selling is 8 mils thick and comes 1" wide x 5 yards long. It is enough to protect all four doors. Cost is $12 for the roll plus $3.50 for shipping and handling. Note that a competitive product sold by www.xpel.com is 3/8" wide x 35" long for $4.95. So, if you are interested, email me at [email protected] or PM.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some advantages of this tape:

1) Clear - The tape does not detract from the appearance of the Pilot. It has good adhesive qualities, but can be removed without damaging the paint.
2) Durable - The tape has more than twice the protective properties of products currently on the market and has an extremely high puncture resistance.
3) UV Resistant - The tape will not discolor, even after years of use.
4) Flexible - The tape can be applied easily and conforms well to the door edges.
5) Chemical Resistant - The tape is not affected by detergents, gas, or wax.

Here is a picture showing how the tape is puncture resistant.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the lower corner of your passenger door, you will see the same tape I am using for the door edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tape is not that difficult to apply. It does take a little practice. Here are the instructions.

Apply the clear tape to the door edge only. Note that the tape cannot be applied to the edge of the body side molding.

1) Clean edge of door with isopropyl alcohol.

2) For best results, practice applying the tape first. Cut off a 6” strip, peel back the white release liner from one end of the tape to expose the adhesive, then try applying the tape to the door edge. Do not peel off the release liner completely. As you are applying the tape to the door edge, peel back the release liner as you work your way down the door edge. Note that the tape is flexible and conformable. If you stretch the tape a little as you apply it on the door edge, you will get a better fit. Tape can be repositioned if necessary. Just lift and reapply.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for catching that. I have corrected it on my first post. Rolls are 1" wide x 5 yards long. That will give you extra tape to practice and in case you make a mistake!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I sent you a PM

so I know where to send the check.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Copilot: Got your check today. Sending out the tape via US Mail. You should get it in a week. If not, let me know.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What about me!!! WWong I send out a check last Saturday.

·
Registered
289 Posts
wwong

Thanks. Hopefully one last question. Is that stuff wide enough to wrap around the door edge or does it just cover the outside. Most of my dings seem to come on the very edge. Usually when I open the door and hit the concrete island at the gas station.:14:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I was experimenting with this tape, I tried 1/2", then 3/4", then finally settled with 1" wide tape. That is wide enough wrap the tape around the edge.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Res-Pilot:

Sent your door edge tape on 9/15. Give it a week to get there. Look for a little white box.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Got it

WWong,

I got the 3M Tapes on Saturday 09/20/03. I put it on and it looks great!!! hope you have a bigger one that put on the hood and mirror.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xpel is selling the hood and mirror precut for $160. I would recommend getting it from them since the tape is precut. To buy a roll from me would probably be cheaper, but cutting the roll with scissors is pretty difficult.

Happy to hear you like the door edge guards.

·
Registered
725 Posts
wwong does it again

Wilson,

I got my package today, filled with the 3M door tape and the additional foam pads -- Thank you once again for your prompt attention to what we talked about earlier.

The tape is really hard to see on the Sagebrush Pearl color, I've attached a couple of pictures, one I purposely took a picture of so you could actually see the tape on the door edge.

PICTURE #1

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
door edge guard

Got mine installed today ! I agree, you can hardly see it on Sage.

thanks wwong !

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've also applied the tape to the front hood edge and rear hatch edge. Can't hurt!

ammdaddy

·
Registered
16 Posts
WWong:

I just got my pilot couple days ago. Am interested in getting the door edge guard and fog light protective tape. Do you still have those? Thanks:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
C87,

All the custom accessories I have made for the Pilot are still available. You should also consider protecting the pillar to prevent dings from the seat belts, especially if your Pilot is brand new. No matter how careful you are, sooner or later, you will get a ding on the pillar. Send me a PM or email me at [email protected] for payment details. Thanks for your interest in 3M products!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts