Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of threads on the bug deflector from Honda, but I'd like to get some information on the 3M clear bra.

-Has anyone had one installed on a Pilot? :confused:
-Any pictures? :confused:
-Do they impact paint fade? :confused:
-How long do they last? :confused:
-Any yellowing or discoloring from UV? :confused:
-Can they be removed without hurting the paint? :confused:
-I saw a bad installation at a Volvo dearler, has anyone applied one themselves? :confused:
-How about price? :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed a 3M clear bra on our Pilot.

I bought enough of the film to cover the hood and the bumper, but have only installed it on the hood so far. Oh, I also did the headlights after I noticed a small stone chip in the drivers side headlight.

The hood is a little tricky because of the contour so if you want a perfect installation it would probably be best to have it done by a professional.

I don't have any pictures yet, but it is virtually invisible so I don't think it would show up in a picture anyway.

I have had a clear bra on my Audi for 4 years and it does not show any signs of yellowing or discoloring.

The only difference I can see between the paint under the bra and the rest of the hood is a lack of stone chips under the bra. It does not seem to have any impact on paint fading.

They can be removed without damaging the paint.

I bought enough 3M film to do the hood and bumper for under $200. (6 feet of 18 inch film for the hood and 10 feet of 24 inch film for the bumper). I have not checked into a professional installation, but would guess it would be over $500. I bought the 3M film raw material from www.xpel.com. I would think that they will eventually sell pre-cut kits for the Pilot which would make installation easier.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just got a quote from Durashield in Orlando for the pilot. Includes hood, bumper, painted grille parts, side mirrors...basically, everything painted facing forward. Installed is $435. We plan to have it done in a week or two.

·
Registered
152 Posts
GLJones said:
Just got a quote from Durashield in Orlando for the pilot. Includes hood, bumper, painted grille parts, side mirrors...basically, everything painted facing forward. Installed is $435. We plan to have it done in a week or two.
The hood is good enough. It will look too overdone if you have it all done. Plus, due to the contours, it will not look "natural."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Covering all painted surfaces

GLJones said:
I think it's a good idea to have all painted surfaces facing forward to be covered. This will certainly reduce cleaning up all the bug splatters and reduce stone chips. Covering only the hood is also OK (much like a car bra) but there's still a lot of area that is left vulnerable. If I were to do this, I would do the same.

BTW, Mr. Jones, where did you purchase your Pilot? And if you don't mind me asking, what kind of deal did you get? Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got it at Holler Honda in Winter Park, FL. Got it for MSRP. They were really great! Ask for Nick and tell him I sent ya. He will take care of you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No DIOs. Basically, they had a Red with Nav scheduled to be delivered. We wanted the Side Steps, Rear Camera, Cargo Liner and Cargo Cover.

When it came in, we took it for the weekend and the next week they took it for a day and installed the options we wanted.

If they have one on the lot that they added options to, I would expect you would be stuck with them unless it's something easily removable. Get one that hasn't been delivered yet and it's entirely up to you to add what you want.

I have to say, this was the best car buying experience I have ever had. No pressure, no "I have to go check with the finance manager" haggling. The guy that sat with us to talk price had complete authority to make the deal.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Check out-

www.stonegard.com. According to their web site they have pre-cut kits for the Pilot. They seem expensive; but might be worth it to avoid having to create our own pattern. They also compare their patterns to xpel type and discuss the benefits of not having cut-outs in the pattern. I am not recommending and have no experience with them; but just thought it might be another option.:cool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
DuraShield in Orlando has the Pilot kits available as well. The kits are made from CAD drawings of the car and pre cut to fit the shape. The installer just installs the pre-cut kit. Quote for pilot in Orlando is $435. We plan to do it in a couple of weeks. Would have already but a toilet exploded and we have concrete floors until the new carpet is installed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Clear bra is a good idea if money is not an issue. My other car is fully protected with the 3M clear bra. YOu should definitely try to protect the light if you can. Since Pilot doesn't have a HID, therefore same thickness can be applied. HID generates too much heat for the thinner material to hold. The shop who installed the 3M clear bra on my car had to use a really thick material for my factory HID.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Could others install such as....

OK,here is my question, hope some of you will help me.
I've bought a set of full nose mask,a lower trim,a air deflector.Since I had the mask put on first,nothing else could be installed after.Therefore,the Airdeflector and the lower trim have been put up in storage for "future use".Now,if I got rid of the present mask,and have the clear mask installed,could I have the others insatalled along???

·
Registered
31 Posts
baoloclamdong,

In your situation, I would suggest you to install all your accessories first before you install the invisible film. People who install your invisible bra can and should work around your accessories. If they cann't, I wouldn't want them to work on your car anyway.

I believe they have to custom make a template for you anyhow no matter if you have those accessories or not. The shop who did my car had to custom the film for my aftermarket front grill and front lower lip.

To be more specific in your case, by looking at your list, I would definitely install the lower trim first. Air deflector can be a toss up. If there is nothing need to be attached to the top of your hood for your air deflector, I don't see why it cannot be installed after the clear bra. You should take your car to the shop first and ask them.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
I had the invisible bra installed yesterday by a local detailer for $135. The 3M stuff is pricey, even doing it yourself, as I have done on smaller areas on a motorcycle. Did not want to tackle a large area with the compound curves like the pilot has.

He suggested that is was an overkill to cover the plastic painted areas as they are not as prone to chipping since they flex some when hit. Time will tell I guess. I have had chips before in the plastic painted areas, but I would admit, not nearly as many as the metal painted areas (like the hood).

YMMV

·
Registered
138 Posts
OK, you folks are starting to sell me on the clear bras. However, what I'm wondering is: After you wax your car does the area that has the clear bra still look the same as the area that just got waxed OR did you wax your vehicle before you had the clear bra installed?

Colorider - Did you have your clear bra done at a local Clear Bra Dealer or a local Honda Dealer? $135 is a very good price compared to what others have paid.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Clear bras???

I would like to get one of these for my girlfriend for Valentines Day. Where can I get them and what sizes do they come in??

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Rainbowslim said:
OK, you folks are starting to sell me on the clear bras. However, what I'm wondering is: After you wax your car does the area that has the clear bra still look the same as the area that just got waxed OR did you wax your vehicle before you had the clear bra installed?

Colorider - Did you have your clear bra done at a local Clear Bra Dealer or a local Honda Dealer? $135 is a very good price compared to what others have paid.
I have used this same material on my motorcycles for many years to avoid scuffing the paint from my riding gear. It will show signs of scuffing too, but not nearly as fast as the paint would otherwise. It polishes up nearly as well as the paint. In a car application, it will not be subject to this same wear and I'm sure it will retain it's glossy look virtually as well as the paint it protects.

I had it installed by a detailer - not the Honda dealer. His "normal" price was $150, but since we were having 2 cars done, he reduced it to $135 each.

Good luck!
rod

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
4603pba said:
Clear bras???

I would like to get one of these for my girlfriend for Valentines Day. Where can I get them and what sizes do they come in??
It comes in a 100' roll, so I think pretty much unlimited!!!! :2:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts