Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed an interesting "feature" related to climate control in the "way back" (i.e., the 3d row). In our EX, if, in a/c mode, you select floor air only (where the arrow on the display points only at the floor of the sitting human icon) you get rather significant air blowing under the 2nd row seats to the feet of the people in the way back.

Understandibly, if you choose to have the a/c in the front and 2nd row come out of the face vents only, you get no air pumped directly to the way back. This makes sense because there are no face vent ducts going to the way back. What does not seem right is that if you select "bi-level" air (i.e., air on the feet and on the face), the way back gets no air from under the 2nd row seats. It seems the only way to get direct air flow to the way back is to have everyone's feet cooled--and no one's faces.

To me it seems strange that in "bi-level" mode you get no air to the feet of the way back.

Finally, I notice that Acura's website seems to indicate that the way back gets heat, but no air conditioning.

Does the way back get only heat at the feet, or is it a/c too? Is there a way for the way back to get a/c at the feet when the a/c is set for bi-level?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Heat is hotter than a/c is cold...

What I mean is that the temperature difference of A/C changes faster than the heat. I think is has to do with the temperatures in/under the vehicle, but it is real hard to get the A/C to 'stay cold' all the way to the third seat and not ice up the front ducts. (plus when heat is combined with humidity the condensation literally can form ice)

In contrast, it is easier to still provide warm air to third seat and not 'cook' the front seat, as some outside air can be used to moderate the temps...

For really HUGE vans/wagons there is a rear A/C that often has a sperate heat exchanger, not just ductwork like in the current crop of family sized SUVs and vans. These units will prevent the ice-up conditions, but of course are much more complicated/bulky.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts