Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lots of service work but the reliability recently is saddening, check engine light has not gone off (unless codes are cleared) since 260k miles. Absolute beast of a car but recently, she's had 2 breakdowns and got really close to 2 more. just had the (1/3) catalytic converter replaced and another removed. Check engine light is still on, as well as the occasional VTM-4 light. The mechanic said the engine block is fine, but now she really hiccups when trying to go above 3k RPMs. I have no idea what the problem is but I am scared that it is a transmission or something that would not be worth it to fix. hopefully, if I get the other catalytic converter she will have less struggle. (I live in a state with no emission laws, and while the big white plumes of smoke out the exhaust isn't great; she's still kicking)

·
Registered
45 Posts
lots of service work but the reliability recently is saddening, check engine light has not gone off (unless codes are cleared) since 260k miles. Absolute beast of a car but recently, she's had 2 breakdowns and got really close to 2 more. just had the (1/3) catalytic converter replaced and another removed. Check engine light is still on, as well as the occasional VTM-4 light. The mechanic said the engine block is fine, but now she really hiccups when trying to go above 3k RPMs. I have no idea what the problem is but I am scared that it is a transmission or something that would not be worth it to fix. hopefully, if I get the other catalytic converter she will have less struggle. (I live in a state with no emission laws, and while the big white plumes of smoke out the exhaust isn't great; she's still kicking)
Did you ever get the engine code? White plums of smoke sounds like a head gasket leak with coolant getting in the combustion chamber. The RPM struggle might mean you're not running on all 6 cylinders, again due to a bad headgasket leak. Compression test and leak down test would be helpful.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
lots of service work but the reliability recently is saddening, check engine light has not gone off (unless codes are cleared) since 260k miles. Absolute beast of a car but recently, she's had 2 breakdowns and got really close to 2 more. just had the (1/3) catalytic converter replaced and another removed. Check engine light is still on, as well as the occasional VTM-4 light. The mechanic said the engine block is fine, but now she really hiccups when trying to go above 3k RPMs.
Ever had the valve clearance checked/adjusted?

·
Super Moderator
15,209 Posts
Codes codes codes. If you don't know them, a cheap code reader will he needed. When my cats were failing around 220K, the EGR also coded, but read the vmcodes first!

·
Registered
166 Posts
What was your maintenance routine like? Did you follow the maintenance minder for oil changes and air filter changes?

I'm just curious because the J35 engines are fairly robust and should have no problem hitting 300K without issue as long as oil changes were done on time, along with a clean air filter.

Then again, those were the non-VCM J35s that I've seen last very long. Maybe VCM is shortening their life.

Did you ever have the rings replaced? Ever have the misfires associated with the VCM problems? It could be as simple as that. Worn rings from VCM leading to oil consumption, prematurely killing the catalytic converters, resulting in white smoke from blowby.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd echo what xGS said... I had a similar issue with the CEL and VTM-4 lights with degrading performance over time and after going through troubleshooting over a long period of time, a valve adjustment was what fixed it up. I didn't have any white exhaust smoke, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My diagnostic list would be:
1) pull/check ignition coils including boots and seals
2) pull plugs and inspect
3) check compression on each cylinder
4) if compression is within spec, adjust valves

I have an 03 and it’s not uncommon on the first gen Pilot to blow some whitish smoke when the valves are out of whack. FYI, I needed to adjust 23/24 valves when I did mine at ~310,000, all the intake valves were too tight and the car was getting progressively more stubborn to start and stay running...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi 2009HP… nice mileage… half million km… this is really something. Please tell me when you change the timing belt? Do you remember the mileage? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi man-o war,
I have the same question for you; your 2011Pilot with 347k...
Please tell me when you change the timing belt...how many?
Do you remember the mileage (aprox.)?
Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts