Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
To be honest, that doesn't seem too bad for the amount of miles it has. Considering the high mileage and VCM still on, I'm impressed. May I know what cylinders are pictures 1 and 2 from? There is a pretty obvious difference in color but not as bad as I thought.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
This Pilot averages about 1,000 miles every week.
How often are the oil and transmission fluid changes?
Which type and brand of fluids are used?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil changes at 5k, trans fluid 9sp, every 60k. All fluids are Honda except engine oil, we use a local company (Northland oil).

·
Registered
440 Posts
May be my untrained eye, but those intake valves look really good for a 300K GDI engine. IMO this is good evidence that an oil catch can is probably unnecessary for the Honda GDI V-6.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,321 Posts
This cat has two things make that three going in it's favor.

1: A good owner and mechanic
2: Regular maintenance
3: Constantly on the road. There is nothing better for an engine other than to drive long distance. Staying hot keeps and engine clean inside.

Out of interest, I'm assuming a lot of interstate mileage. That has to help tires and brakes last forever!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Looks pretty good for 300K. Do you still see #5 plugs loosen up?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Wait why isn’t this engine dead since it has VCM? I thought VCM killed all engines.
Maybe he keeps his foot through the floor all the time. VCM cuts out around 80 mph. Sustained high speed driving burns off the oil and carbon as well as being easy on the transmission, torque converter and motor mounts and providing a ton of air through the coolers. You also don't get a bunch of crap coming back through the EGR and PCV due to a lot of warm up rich running and oil sucking deceleration for commuter traffic, red lights and stop signs or blowby from pull aways from same. A/F locked on closed loop at optimum ratio. It's J35 Paradise. Italian tuneups every trip.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
You can still see a little oil residue around the ports but the intake valves are very clean for a 300k engine. I am also a firm believer in 5k oil changes and using a good quality synthetic oil which definitely helped reduce the carbon buildup in this case.
Good to see and thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Oil changes at 5k, trans fluid 9sp, every 60k. All fluids are Honda except engine oil, we use a local company (Northland oil).
Do you happen to know what the Northland oil is? Full syn, blend, dino ...?
[EDIT] nevermind, just read #17.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts