Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
PilotGerharts said:
Has anyone had the 30K maintenance done yet? Our dealer wants $665 for it. Seems high.
You need to ask what is in the service package and what each item costs.

These packages are a way to keep us consumers confused.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Based on my experience with my last Honda, dealerships like to add services to the 30K, 60K, 90K, etc. maintenence schedules. I tell them to only do what the owner's manual says to do. If the owner's manual doesn't say to check or replace something, then I don't want it "checked" or "replaced" by the dealer's mechanic.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got mine done at 48,000 km (30,000 miles) at a cost of CAD$514 including courtesy car for the day and replace VTM-4 fluid. Based on current exchange rate, that's about USD$390. This is the Type 4 maintenance for Canadian schedule, which is equivalent to maintenance services A+B+C+D in the Owner's Manual. The list is extensive: oil change, rotate tires, reset idle timing, replace transmission fluid, replace dust and pollen filter, replace air cleaner element, adjust valves, replace spark plugs, 14 point inspection, etc.

Note that I don't do any maintenance myself, as I'm hopeless in auto mechanics. Tried to do stuff before and I only ended up cursing myself in frustration. I just check oil level and tire pressure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just had it done for $270, the dealer wanted $440 for "their" 30K maintenance. I had to forcefully request that I only wanted what was required in the service manual.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had my done at 32,000 for $67.53 US. Just had the VTM replaced. Everything else was done by yours truly.

Services to be performed at 30,000 per Owners link:
· Replace engine oil.
· Rotate tires (follow pattern on page 311 in your Owner's Manual).
· Replace engine oil filter.
· Check parking brake adjustment.
· Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS).
· Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids, and check for leaks.
· Inspect exhaust system.*
· Inspect fuel lines and connections.*
· Inspect cooling system hoses and connections.
· Inspect front and rear brakes.
· Inspect tie-rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
· Inspect suspension components.
· Inspect driveshaft boots.
· = See information on maintenance and emissions warranty, last column, page 273 in your owner's manual.
· Inspect and adjust drive belts.
· Replace dust and pollen filter.
· Replace air cleaner element.
· Replace rear differential fluid. (Necessary for proper break-in of the VTM-4 rear differential.)

That sure is a lot of inspection that can be done by yourself.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just had my 30000 check done. they did everything on the list in the owner's manual for normal service. Cost including tax was $270.00

·
Registered
199 Posts
The 30,000 mile service is coming on my Pilot. I was in the dealer the other day picking up parts for another Honda and asked the service dept. about it. The service writer said: "We don't follow the recommended maintenance schedules, we have our own". He then showed me a very fancy brochure from that service dept. that listed an incredible number of "extras" for the 30,000 mile that totaled almost $700. In their defense, they are putting up a new building and need to pay for it (plus the cost of their brochures). When it comes time, I'll do all the work myself and keep careful records......

·
Registered
148 Posts
The last 3 new cars we owned I did nearly all the maintenance. Most Dealers, inspect, inspect, inspect,.........

The 49 point inspection includes:

Tires: yes the car has 4 tires (4 pts)
Air: yes all 4 tires hold air (8 pts)
Pressure: yes, all 4 tires have correct psi(12pts)
Shocks: yes, the car has 4 shocks (16pts)
Brakes: yes, the car has 4 brakes (20 pts)
Wear: yes the brakes are worn )24 pts)

You get my point.........

My work friend with a Nissan found no difference between a $250 and $450 60,000 mile maintenance expect the inspect, inspect, inspect part. His theory is they will check it anyway to see if they can sell you something else. Both packages contained all the required items in the FACTORY maintenance schedule.

So, it depends on how comfortable you feel with the dealer. I suggest shopping around.

JW

·
Registered
50 Posts
At our dealer it was only $195, but failed to include the VTM-4 fluid change. I complained to the service manager that the 30K maintenance doesn't include all the required items at 30K. After an unsatisfactory answer, I complained to Honda (careful to praise them for the things they do well). It would be a major problem if the rear diff failed due to insufficient maintenance -- would they own up to not doing it, or blame me for not specifically requesting it?

FYI, they wanted $89.95 to change the VTM-4 fluid. I told the service writer that I thought the charge was unfair considering it's about the same work as changing the oil. I bought a gallon there for less than $20 for DIY...

~ Fred

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: maintenance light?

landscaperjb said:
Does anyone know how to reset the maintenance light?
Page 69 in the '03 Manual explains it. (Thanks kemosabe and bkwon for scanning/posting and hosting the manual.)

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Air filter at 30K?

Has anyone done air filter replacement? Do we need it at 30K?
How much is the part, and how much for labor? Where did you get the part?

DIY, is it fairly easy?

Dan

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Air filter at 30K?

lxblack said:
Has anyone done air filter replacement? Do we need it at 30K?
How much is the part, and how much for labor? Where did you get the part?

DIY, is it fairly easy?

Dan
The engine air filter is pretty easy, and you can probably find aftermarket filters.

Check out this thread for details and pictures on changing the passenger cabin filter. The passenger cabin filters are probably Honda-only filters, and two of them are behind the glovebox. Doing it the first time is tricky, but should be easier after that. If experience with my '98 Accord is any indication, they need to be changed. The filters were white when new, black when replaced. The filters, IIRC, will run you $18-25 each.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Wow! $400 for the 30,000 maintenance. Also had the fuel injection serviced. Then they wanted another $115 for the cabin filter. I said no and got one on ebay for $27. I did the transmission recall at the same time. No recall notice required. Here's the paperwork.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Page 2

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
what a rip

what a rip off... Amazing
This is why I do my own maintenance.
All they've done is inspect, inspect, and inspect.

Wong, did they replace the engine Air filter and Cabin air filter?
I thought they need to be replaced at 30K?
I've done it myself and cost me $45 in parts for both.
Fairly easy work, but my dealer wanted $120 for cabin air filter alone, these guys think we are a moron? :(

·
Registered
323 Posts
maintenance

I work at an Independant Honda/Acura service and repair shop in Southern California. I am the asst senior tech. I work on these all day and one of the reasons I no longer work at the dealership is the dishonesty I saw that was going on and I didnt want to be a part of.

I will give you some tips to getting good maint done to your pilot without the 150% markup and upselling.

1. find out their hourly labor fee.
2. find out how much labor is involved in the service: time, detailed description of service and parts.
3. find out the individual prices for the parts that will be used(call the service desk)
4. call an independant or foreign auto shop to get the mitchell flat rate price.
5. Ask for your parts back before service work begins : this way you have evidence of the work being done.
6. inspect your car before you leave: you paid a lot for it, dont just take their word for it, also they could of dinged it or left grease stains on it.
7.compare the curent service to lesser services 10k, 20k most of the work is redundant.
8. the 20-50 point inspections are fake, all they do is look at the exaust and hoses and belts and misc stuff which anyone can do its nothing special, the fluid check is good but it has 30k on it and there isnt anything wrong with it. add water to washer resivoir, add water to coolant recovery tank, look and see the trans, brake and power steering levels are proper. my son can do this and he is 6.

the only special thing they do is remove the glove box and cut the plastic peice away for the cabin filter: we do this with an air wheel or xacto hobby saw.

for a 30k what is needed is :

oil filter- 4.50
oil 5 qts 5/20 - 2.00(5) = 10.00
air filter - 18.00-26.00
cabin/ac filter 18.00-26.00
Vtm 1 qt - 3.00

check the posted advertisement for the package deals

make a scene they hate that and will do anything to get you to stop so they dont scare away other business and other people there to buy.

most I would pay is 200$

the last thing is you can deal with them on a price plus since they rely so heavily on the customer service you can threaten to give them a bad CS rating or call the corporate district costumer service rep from their dealership and complain. what will happen is the dealer will loose CS points and will loose a lot of bonus money and parts deals. Try and bargain with them they are in the business of dealing. Talk not only to the service writer but also the service manager and the lead tech.

good luck

·
Registered
226 Posts
Where is your shop?

If it's close by, I may bring my car to your shop instead of ripping off dealers...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts