Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a very minor issue.
Just checking to see if anyone else has it.
At 3000 RPM under load (accelerating) i can hear a slight buzz for a second.
Sounds like a loose heat shield, or something simmilar.
It is soft enough that the radio at normal volumes will cover it up.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Is this coming from somewhere in the cabin, or is it under the hood? If it's under the hood, I would check that silly plastic cover over the engine. I haven't experienced this and I've spent some time in various rev ranges. In particular, I once had to show a cocky Explorer owner what VTEC was all about. (lol)

Chris

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like

Sounds like it is either in teh engine compartment or underneith.
It is hard to do it long enough to realy track it down.
Try holding your pilot at 3000 RPM.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Suggestions

I always go over my vehicles (cold of cource) using the "hand feeling method" to use an old MS fishing term. I use a combination of plastic ties and GE silicone seal to cushion and insulate anything that smells like a vibration. A key area is the underside. The exhaust system is covered (top side) almost all the way to the back with light weight aluminum. Many times this will vibrate only at certain times and in concert with engine rpm. This can be easily heard inside. Check the rubber adjustments on the outer front edges of the hood to ensure the hood is tight when closed. There are many possibilities. I have been told there is something wrong with me when I enjoy doing this!!! Good Luck

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The buzz is a bit worse now.
I see this as a good sign, as it should be easier to find and fix.
Since no one commented on having it also, I will assume it is a loose part on my Pilot and not a common problem.
It will be going in for first oil change and service next week.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I first got my Pilot, I wrote about this strange noise which I described as a "pinging" or "knocking"...but I have now come to think of as more of a buzz or rattle or loose something in the engine area.

It does seem to occur at about 3000 RPMs; I can't hear it at highway speeds (too much road noise, I guess) but can hear it when traveling on side streets. It happens on acceleration, around 30 mph, when the RPMs hit about 3000....say when I'm accelerating up a hill after having been at a stop sign.

It is subtle, and would easily been drowned out by a radio. I just happen to like driving in silence, so I can hear it quite easily.

It's been there since Day1, and the dealer checked it out and couldn't hear or find anything unusual. Said these Honda VTEC engines just don't knock or ping...

So I've begun to think of it as more of a loose something. There seemed to be a similar sounding complaint on the MDX site, and several people reported they had a throttle cable bracket that vibrated (metal on metal, making a knocking noise) at about 3000 RPMs. I haven't been able to isolate that myself yet.

My noise sounds like it's coming more from the right (passenger) side of engine to me. I've only heard one other person report it, so I'm sort of baffled. I've tried all sorts of gas, brands and grades, and it's still there.

Anyone else?

Diane

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had this EXACT same thing happen to my Acura Integra GS-R right around 3,000 RPM's while accelerating but couldn't replicate it while cruising.

I mentioned it to our Honda dealer and they said it is common to many Hondas (and obviously Acuras as well). It sounds like a buzzing type of sound and the origin can't really be pinpointed from inside the vehicle.

There is a heat shield around the catalytic converter (and the rest of the exhaust system for that matter) that protects the underbody from heat. In my case, one "weld" that holds the heat shield in place above the catalytic converter broke loose and produced the buzzing.

The solution: a couple of clamps around the heat shield and the buzzing was gone forever.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just talked to dealer

He thinks it is in or under the dash.
I think it is engine compartment or under the car.
We can't get it to do it on the rack or standing still, so I get the Pilot back, buzzz and all.
He is going to check the Honda Tech Line (seems they are hard to get through to on the phone).
Then I get to take it back in a few days.

Since it is definetly getting worse, maybe it will be easier to find soon!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I HAVE A 03 PILOT LX AND MINE IS MAKING A TAPPING NOISE FROM ABOUT 2000-3000 RPM IT SOUNDS MORE LIKE METAL ON METAL. IT IS AT THE DEALER RIGHT NOW GETTING LOOKED AT AND IT DOES NOT DO IT WHILE IN PARK REVING THE ENGINE. IM NO MECHANIC BUT TO ME IT SOUNDED LIKE IT WAS A LOOSE LIFTER IN THE ENGINE. BUT WHO KNOWS. ALSO IF YOU GRADUALLY ACCERATE IT ISNT AS NOTICED AS EASILY. DOES THAT SOUND LIKE THE SAME PROBLEM.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Romad, it sounds EXACTLY like my problem. Please let me know if your shop finds anything. Mine did not; said it was "normal."

I've come think of it as more of a rattle, probably located deep down. Ask them if it could be the throttle cable bracket -- someone said that was a problem with some MDXs and the symptom sounded similar. The bracket needed to be bent away, so it didn't vibrate against metal (they said it seemed to only happen at certain RPMs, for some reason).

Anyway, write me via e-mail if you like, if you hear anything. Thanks!

Diane
[email protected]

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for not posting me answer here

The answer to the 3000 RPM buzz (and a few other engine rattles, and buzzes, acordeing to the MDX forum) is to bend the throttle cable bracket a small amount.
This was noted on the MDX forum, and in an NHTSA bulletin.
The bracket is on the drivers fromt shock tower just in behind the air cleaner.
The bolt on this bracket must be tight, and the bracket must be 10MM (about 3/8") away from the body.
If this is the problem it is an easy fix, and you should know right away if it worked.

You can find more on this by searching "Throttle Cable" on the MDX forums.

·
Registered
232 Posts
We only experience our buzz while in Park and revving the engine to around 3,000 rpm and letting off the gas. Asked the tech about this on a recent visit and let him hear it. Since we don't here it while driving it's not worth pursuing.

The tech's take on it was that the exhaust system is made of very thin metal and because of the horsepower generate by todays larger engines so much air is being pushed through the system that it resonates.

Believe it if you like but that was his explanation.

Cheese :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
update on noise b/w 2000-3000RPM

well i just picked up my pilot from the dealer and they were closed but i did tell them about the throttle cable braket. The problem is fixed but i wont know what they did to fix it till tomorrow when i ask. Sorry to keep you's anxiously waiting to know what was the fix. ill let you's know on 9/18/02 when i find out. later romad01

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheesehead

Give the bracket a tweek, and see it it fixes it?
Can't hurt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
TAPPING OR BUZZ FIXED

I WOULD HAVE CALLED IT MORE OF A TAPING BUT I JUST WENT TO THE DEALER TO GET MY PAPERS SAYING WHAT THEY DID TO FIX IT AND SURE ENOUGH IT WAS THE THOTTLE CABLE BRACKET (IT WAS LOOSE SO THEY TIGHTENED IT AND BENT IT OUT... THANKS TO ALL WHO FOUND THE ACURA PROBLEM WHICH LEAD OUR PILOT DISCOVERY. I JUST REMEMBER AND I TURNED IT IN ALSO FOR THE SRS PASSENGER SIDE LIGHT CAME ON TWICE FOR A SHORT PERIOD, I HAD THEM LOOK AT THAT TWO AND THEY RAN A SMALL TEST. BUT IT GAVE THEM NO CODES... THANKS AGAIN I AM FOREVER GREATFUL FOR THIS SITE... KEEP ON POSTING!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Sorry for not posting me answer here

N_Jay said:
The answer to the 3000 RPM buzz (and a few other engine rattles, and buzzes, acordeing to the MDX forum) is to bend the throttle cable bracket a small amount.
This was noted on the MDX forum, and in an NHTSA bulletin.
The bracket is on the drivers fromt shock tower just in behind the air cleaner.
The bolt on this bracket must be tight, and the bracket must be 10MM (about 3/8") away from the body.
If this is the problem it is an easy fix, and you should know right away if it worked.

You can find more on this by searching "Throttle Cable" on the MDX forums.
N_Jay,

I heard the rattle last night while accelerating and couldn't wait to get on this website to check it out.
Sure enough, the throttle cable bracket was about 1/16" from the body. I bent it slightly and no more rattle!!! :D
Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same problem with my 95 Integra GS-R. Acura first replaced the firewall, then replaced the A-pipe twice. Once the A-pipe was replaced the second time the noise stopped and I had no further problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts