Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I couldn't find a thread about maintenance upon reaching 30k miles. If you can provide a link that would be great to a thread covering this topic. If not, what all do guys recommend doing once your Pilot has reached 30k miles. This is my first vehicle with a 9-speed transmission.

Thank you, all!

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
I couldn't find a thread about maintenance upon reaching 30k miles. If you can provide a link that would be great to a thread covering this topic. If not, what all do guys recommend doing once your Pilot has reached 30k miles. This is my first vehicle with a 9-speed transmission.
Have you been following the codes shown on the maintenance minder display?
If not, why not?
What have you done for maintenance so far?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you been following the codes shown on the maintenance minder display?
If not, why not?
What have you done for maintenance so far?
The Pilot has been serviced by Honda for oil changes every 7500 miles (what the service person recommended) and the tires rotated at the same time (free of charge). I've changed the cabin and engine filters myself. No, I have not used the maintenance minder as it has not come on since purchasing the car.

No service message is showing at this time.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hello,

Thank you, all!
Have you owned the vehicle since new? If not, how many miles on it when you purchased it.

If it is an AWD, you were due for the differential fluid to have been changed somewhere around 15000 miles or so. Perhaps the dealer who is doing the oil changes is resetting the MM codes. Since you seem to be on a 7500 mile oil change/tire rotation schedule, you may actually be changing the oil with 30% or so oil life remaining. You may actually be able to drive 9000-10000 miles before the MM reads 15%, 10%, or 0%.

9 speed transmission fluid change code "3" should show up around 60000 miles along with the transfer case fluid. The 6 speed is around 30000 miles based on what I have read on the forum.

If the dealer is resetting the MM early, it may be missing some of the services due.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you owned the vehicle since new? If not, how many miles on it when you purchased it.

If it is an AWD, you were due for the differential fluid to have been changed somewhere around 15000 miles or so. Perhaps the dealer who is doing the oil changes is resetting the MM codes. Since you seem to be on a 7500 mile oil change/tire rotation schedule, you may actually be changing the oil with 30% or so oil life remaining. You may actually be able to drive 9000-10000 miles before the MM reads 15%, 10%, or 0%.

9 speed transmission fluid change code "3" should show up around 60000 miles along with the transfer case fluid. The 6 speed is around 30000 miles based on what I have read on the forum.

If the dealer is resetting the MM early, it may be missing some of the services due.
I purchased the car new.

It is an AWD Touring with the 9 speed. When checking MM it always read 30% oil life or close, but I just go ahead and change it anyways with the dealer. I need to check the records, but I think they did change the differential fluid at 15k. Can't remember off the top of my head. I will give them a call today. The car currently has 29,500 miles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I purchased the car new.

It is an AWD Touring with the 9 speed. When checking MM it always read 30% oil life or close, but I just go ahead and change it anyways with the dealer. I need to check the records, but I think they did change the differential fluid at 15k. Can't remember off the top of my head. I will give them a call today. The car currently has 29,500 miles.
Of course to each his own, but you can safely save a little money and the Earth's resources by waiting till the MM gets close to zero. I must admit I have gone 1000 miles past the 0 on my Odyssey a couple times. The dealers recommendation is just for their profit, just like Jiffy Lube used to fill our heads with the story that you should change your oil every 3000 miles for goodness sake. Good business for them but not necessary and wasteful

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course to each his own, but you can safely save a little money and the Earth's resources by waiting till the MM gets close to zero. I must admit I have gone 1000 miles past the 0 on my Odyssey a couple times. The dealers recommendation is just for their profit, just like Jiffy Lube used to fill our heads with the story that you should change your oil every 3000 miles for goodness sake. Good business for them but not necessary and wasteful
Understand, this is my first new car in a long time. Our other car is 2008 Accord and I have always had the mindset to change the oil 3,000 to 5,0000 miles. I will start changing the oil when it reaches 10% instead of 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Understand, this is my first new car in a long time. Our other car is 2008 Accord and I have always had the mindset to change the oil 3,000 to 5,0000 miles. I will start changing the oil when it reaches 10% instead of 7,500 miles.
That's a great first step and then you can move it closer to 0% haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts