Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have a 2012 Pilot with 115,000 miles. Today, the Service Engine Light, VTM 4, and the VSA indicators all came on. The SEL is flashing, the others are constant. At same time, started running a bit rough.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
You need to get the codes pulled and then post them here. It can be done at most autoparts stores of you don't have a Scanner/code reader. I would suggest that you don't clear the codes in case you have to take it to a dealer. If you are a DIYer then once you fix the issues you can clear the codes. I have found that you can't have too much information but you can have too little.

·
Registered
244 Posts
the battery and or alternator could be dying. that can be tested for free at the parts store. those dummy lights only throw codes that can be read at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Better parts stores will read the codes for you -- no need to spend at the dealer for that service. Post back the codes that are read, following Daltongang's above guidance on not clearing them.

At 115k miles, the 2012 Pilot should have had the timing belt replaced recently (due at 105k) and had the spark plugs replaced and valve adjusted as part of the service. There are some known issues with plug fouling caused by the VCM system, reinforced by the rough running symptom the OP reports. Honda extended a specific warranty coverage for oil and piston ring fouling, but it's gone for 2012 cars now.

Replacing fouled spark plugs would be an easy diagnostic step after getting the codes. Bring the rest of the services up to date at the same time. If you haven't yet installed one of the available VCM disabling devices, do it now regardless. Forum member Nail Grease recently shared a list of steps that do a lot to minimize the impact of VCM operation, something worth looking for and following. The Honda warranty solution was to replace piston rings on the affected rear cylinders to slow the damage from VCM. But Honda won't actually disable the system to stop the ongoing effects.

Grab the codes at a good parts store, search from them on the interwebz, and report them here for more guidance.

Reactions: AVC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!
I have a 2012 Pilot with 115,000 miles. Today, the Service Engine Light, VTM 4, and the VSA indicators all came on. The SEL is flashing, the others are constant. At same time, started running a bit rough.

Any ideas?
Yes, My daughter's 2013 Pilot has had misfire of #1 cynlinder in 5/2019, 3/2020 and two weeks ago trying to return from FL (260 miles away) There was a recall back in 2013 that settled in 2014. Researching now if we are in the 8 year extension and can get the vehicle fixed! 2013 Pilot Cylinder 1-4 Replacement

1 - 5 of 5 Posts