Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 kids in car seats - we are thinking about getting a Pilot. Where would I put them? I have 1 kid in a Britax Roundabout, & 2 kids in boosters - 1 in a Graco Turbobooster & 1 in a Century Breverra high back booster. Thanks!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
moomommy said:
I have 3 kids in car seats - we are thinking about getting a Pilot. Where would I put them? I have 1 kid in a Britax Roundabout, & 2 kids in boosters - 1 in a Graco Turbobooster & 1 in a Century Breverra high back booster. Thanks!
Unless you need the 4WD or just hate minivans, I would recommend a miniivan over a Pilot for three kid families.

We have only two, but my brother has three and an MDX, and the seets make getting in and out of the third row a back hatch adventure. His van is much easier.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I love my Pilot with 3 children....but if the 3 were in car seats, I never would have survived a trip to Wal-Mart....the seats just aren't as accessible as in a van.

Can the 2 in booster seats buckle their own seat belts? If so, then it gets easier....put the 2 boosters in the far back seat with the car seat in the middle of the second row. Then the single seat can slide forward for the bigger guys to climb into their boosters and buckle up. Then you can buckle the baby in the middle. It would be hard to get to the back yourself(my opinion) to buckle up. I couldn't have done it without a mini van those first years.....

·
Registered
771 Posts
My son is 5 and is still in a booster. He sits in the 3rd row because he can buckle his own belt. He can also pick up the seat and put it in the second row if he needs to sit there. My 1.5 year old sits behind me (driver side). I put her there because the passenger side is the way to get into the 3rd row and I didn't want my son climbing all over the place to get to his seat. If your kids in the boosters are older than the Pilot would be fine. If not, you probably need the van or will just have to put all 3 in one row.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Our 2 (5 yo and 8 yo) are in booster seats. Each sits by the window in the 2nd row. It's difficult for both to do the seatbelt in the 3rd row, passenger side, but the other 2 seats in the 3rd row are fine. Before this we had a minivan - but we prefer the Pilot, of course! :2:

·
Registered
146 Posts
ok the trick for me is to:

wait until my kids (currently 2 and 6mos) are old enough to climb into the 3rd row and buckle themselves...

Before trying to have that 3rd kid. Then I can avoid the mini van image.

Gotta hide this thread from the wife.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Some people have reported trouble installing seats in the 3rd row, but I think that may have only been rear-facing seats. Personally, I think I'd put the Roundabout outboard in the 2nd row, and one booster in the center of the 2nd row. The other booster would go in the other outboard seat of the 2nd row, or in the 3rd row, whichever works for you. One of the posters here (74pilotmom) has a Roundabout and two large boosters in her 2nd row, so you should be able to get all 3 of yours there as well, if that's what you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3 kids in carseats

Thanks for the info. My kids are 1, 4, & 7, so the older 2 can buckle themselves in. I don't know if it would work to have all 3 across in the 2nd row or to put the oldest one in the back, or maybe the 2 oldest in the back. One reason to keep them all in the 2nd row would be then I could keep the 3rd row folded down. My DH is going to be the main driver of the vehicle and he tends to haul stuff back there. Right now there's just a lot of junk in the back of his Subaru wagon! Much of which I put there for him to take to Salvation Army LOL!! It sounds like the Pilot is a lot wider than the Subaru, right now there are 3 seats across in the back seat and it's extremely tight & hard to buckle the seatbelts on the boosters.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
just got back from a trip to WV w/ 3 kids (4, 2, and 1). All are in front facing graco car seats, and we can put all of them in the 2nd row. The 4 year old climbs into the middle seat, and we buckle him in, the other two are in the outer seats. We do this primarily to keep the other two from fighting. It wasn't a problem placing them in the seats, though a van is much easier.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Re: 3 kids in carseats

moomommy said:
Thanks for the info. My kids are 1, 4, & 7, so the older 2 can buckle themselves in. I don't know if it would work to have all 3 across in the 2nd row or to put the oldest one in the back, or maybe the 2 oldest in the back. One reason to keep them all in the 2nd row would be then I could keep the 3rd row folded down. My DH is going to be the main driver of the vehicle and he tends to haul stuff back there. Right now there's just a lot of junk in the back of his Subaru wagon! Much of which I put there for him to take to Salvation Army LOL!! It sounds like the Pilot is a lot wider than the Subaru, right now there are 3 seats across in the back seat and it's extremely tight & hard to buckle the seatbelts on the boosters.
Thanks
Okay, so our situations are IDENTICAL, moomommy! Mine are 5 mos, 4 and 7. Baby in a Britax Roundabout (cowmooflage!) They are all lined up across the 2nd row. Plenty of room, and there's no problem getting into the back seat if you need it. The graco turbo booster should slide easily out of the way when flipping the passenger side 2nd row back. Put your baby on the driver's side door. and the least protective seat in the middle. The roundabout is the safest seat, move it to the outer position. This way rear seat access in not blocked by that wide infant seat, and you can get the baby out easier.

I've tried all kinds of combinations, and have settled on this configuration. It's easier to get the baby out, big kids can climb into their own seats, and buckle up.

I leave the 3rd row down for groceries and strollers. If a spare kid needs to hop into the back, I'll flip up one the seats, and they can hop in through the hatch. Voila!

The only thing is, all the kids will want to ride back there when one kid is.

Minivans, yaddayaddayadda...some of us won't go there. Even if we know the Ody is the greatest one. So if you want a Pilot, go for it, you'll love it. I don't wish for a second that I'd gotten an Odyssey-This Pilot is extremely versatile, and perfect for large families.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Now you just need a Starlight Silver EX-L. (one without uneven paint)
Gotta go for leather durability with your herd of kiddoes. I'm glad I did.
Then we'll seriously be twins.
Cowmooflage! Man we have great taste :) Does your husband hate it too? I got the rolling eyes when I showed him what I spent $200 on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
Cowmooflage! Man we have great taste :) Does your husband hate it too? I got the rolling eyes when I showed him what I spent $200 on. :rolleyes:
Sounds like my husband's reaction when my first Roundabout (Big Cats) arrived... "Was this supposed to be leopard print?" :rolleyes: By the time our Cowmooflage came around, he'd gotten used to it. ;)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
MEN!?!:3:

We're the ones hauling the kids and dealing with all the mommy frustrations all day, just give us this little thing that makes us smile.
(I liked the big cat too by the way)

Here's a little off topic thing for mommies-
If you have a "big lots" store in your area, go check out the Evenflo highchair they have for $39.99. I went to get one just because I needed something. Didn't care what it looked like or anything, but it is actually the nicest highchair I've ever seen. It reclines, it rolls, folds away,height adjustsj, has an integrated snack tray so don't have to wash that big one...and CHEAP! I don't know what retail was on it, but at $39.99, we got 2. One for grandma's house. Check it out moms!
:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: 3 kids in carseats

moomommy said:
.... My DH is going to be the main driver of the vehicle and he tends to haul stuff back there....
DH... designated hitter? Those bats CAN take up a lot of room.
:2:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Re: Re: 3 kids in carseats

mcardle said:
DH... designated hitter? Those bats CAN take up a lot of room.
:2:
Yeah, that's what you call him when you say "Wait until your father gets home, so he can spank you!" :D

You can tell you're on a board full of men when they don't know DH stands for Dear Husband. At least it does on our chick boards. ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 3 kids in carseats

tracy said:

Yeah, that's what you call him when you say "Wait until your father gets home, so he can spank you!" :D

You can tell you're on a board full of men when they don't know DH stands for Dear Husband. At least it does on our chick boards. ;)
There were a couple names I can imagine my wife has thought of for me using the initials DH, only some of which are appropriate for an all ages board like this... and Dear Husband wasn't one of them. :eek:

·
Registered
747 Posts
3 kids? I don't think "position" will work for you. Better take some pills or wear rubber. :2:

sorry couldn't help it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
74PILOTMOM said:
[Cowmooflage! Man we have great taste :) Does your husband hate it too? I got the rolling eyes when I showed him what I spent $200 on. :rolleyes: [/B]
I got a great deal on my Britax thanks to the internet ... I ordered it from a store in Ohio which was posted on a car seat forum. It's non-latch but I got it for $99 plus shipping. I also got a leopard print one for the other car for $129 online. Gotta love the internet!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
USAA Rebate

Speaking of car seats, if anyone here on honda-pilot.org is a member of USAA, they have a car seat safety program where they will send you $$$ for up to three car seats that you bought within the past year -- $25 for each car seat for a total of a $75 refund check. I particpated in this last year and it really is valid!!! This program is on-going, but I'm not sure if the amounts are the same, though... :4: :17:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts