Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in an accident recently in my 2006 Pilot ELX 4WD and had to have a majority of the components in my undercarriage replaced. I noticed that the mechanics put a single exhaust muffler on it where a dual exhaust used to be. I'm assuming the new muffler is from the 2wd version because upon researching it thats what the 2wd versions seem to have. I know that the 2wd and 4wd have a slightly different engine and was wondering if this might cause any issues.

The picture above is what it used to have

And this is the kind of thing it has now

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO it should be fine. The old muffler had dual muffler tips and not a dual exhaust system. An aftermarket muffler with dual tips is available from Walker for example if you are not satisfied with the repair.
Know that it's a single exhaust system, just wondering if having only a single tip would negatively affect my exhaust pressure or anything like that.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Know that it's a single exhaust system, just wondering if having only a single tip would negatively affect my exhaust pressure or anything like that.
IMO, the one tip is capable of expelling the exhaust without creating back pressure. Looks like a marketing scheme to me. But ya, you could customize.
😁

Reactions: aggrex and The Todd

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Definitely a marketing scheme.

Just because you have 2 separate mufflers, (like my Gen 2 does),
IT IS NOT DUAL EXHAUST!!!!

2 headers from the engine, get collected into 1 pipe. then- for marketing purposes (because people seem to think 2 mufflers is better LOL), they split it again and put 2 mufflers on it.
I'm sure they think the minimal weight gain is worth the customer thinking it is higher performance.
Hell, why not split one pipe to 4, 6, or 8?
Don't believe me, look under your vehicle.

Now in your first picture with the 2 exhaust tips? Sorry again- NOT dual exhaust.
Often times, one tip is for show only anyways. I had a friend with a vette that had real dual exhaust factory, then the mufflers each had 2 pipes coming out- so 4 pipes total in the rear. But one pipe on each side was false, or for show only.

Marketing.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I got in an accident recently in my 2006 Pilot ELX 4WD and had to have a majority of the components in my undercarriage replaced. I noticed that the mechanics put a single exhaust muffler on it where a dual exhaust used to be. I'm assuming the new muffler is from the 2wd version because upon researching it thats what the 2wd versions seem to have. I know that the 2wd and 4wd have a slightly different engine and was wondering if this might cause any issues. View attachment 143033
The picture above is what it used to have
View attachment 143034
And this is the kind of thing it has now
It may even have better dyno results now, with the one pipe. It came from 2 into 1 pipe anyways.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
Just prompted by this to rush out into the unheated garage and look. Yes, my dual tips are cool. :D

Anyhow, I think you should be OK.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Just prompted by this to rush out into the unheated garage and look. Yes, my dual tips are cool. :D

Anyhow, I think you should be OK.
Run a rod,stick up both of them. Do they both go into the muffler? Sometimes, one is for show only- I don't know though,

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts