Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2019 Honda Pilot Touring

Maybe it is just my own ineptitude but I find it really difficult to consistently turn the Pilot off.

I am aware that I have to be in park, and pressing full on the brake and then single tap of the ignition button. To be honest I find this an annoying/finicky process because I seem to accidentally go into accessory mode all the time. One of the things that tricks me is if I am playing music and I turn off the engine, the music continues to play so it is not distinctly clear that you are power off mode. Instead, if you open the door it will stop. I really feel there should be a much clearer indication of the mode change.

This is the second time now that despite knowing the process and trying to follow it I have accidentally left the car in accessory mode and then returned to find totally drained batteries. To make matters worse, the failure mode for the Pilot is to unlock all the doors! So not only do I not have batteries but my car is unlocked so robbers can get into it (and have). Why would they not have a sensor to turn off accessory mode and lock the care in this situation?

Has this been an issue for anyone else? Are there some setting I should use to make this more foolproof?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE; 2015 Pilot LX
224 Posts
Kind of like my 2008 Honda Pilot SE WON'T turn the interior lights off after a timer when key is off,
but my 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab WILL!

Same for headlights, right?

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
130 Posts
Just do what I do, turn it off pull the the key, toss in the centre console. Do not lock it. Good to go.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Other than regular good habits there are products that could be wired into the battery source such as a low-voltage cutoff devices. Some are adjustable and some are preset to ensure enough voltage remains to be able to start the vehicle.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sorry if I misread your post. So you are accidentally leaving your car in accessory mode when you turn the car off? When you turn the engine off and you open the door, the car is off. The gauge cluster clearly states when you're in accessory mode. You stated the car has to be in park, and you have to press the brake for the car to start. This is true but the touring should automatically be in park whenever you turn the car on. When you press the brake, it's not just placing your foot on the pedal, you actually have to press the pedal to about 50% before the computer actually thinks you pressed the brake. Don't worry, your brakes work normally, but you just have to press the brake pretty hard for the computer for some reason. If you already know this then there may some parasitic drain happening somewhere in your car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The next time you open your door and notice music is still playing, you're in accessory mode and accidentally hit the button twice. I'm not sure what else to say here unless there's an issue with the ignition button that's causing it to "tap twice" when you press it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts