Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm struggling to find the right wording to describe what I'm looking for, but I saw a photo from a company that makes an air mattress custom made for the Pilot that has two inflatable 'boxes' that they call 'base extenders' that fill in the space behind the front seats so you have a longer/larger sleeping space in back. (see photo below).
I already have the sleeping pad that I need, so not interested in spending $224 on another mattress and they don't sell them separately.
LunoLife
I was just wondering if anyone has seen anything that would do the same job that's already out there, or have any ideas on how I could make something that would do this. I never use my back seats (any of them), and use my pilot to transport my musical instruments, so ideally, something stiff and non puncturable would be best. And something where I could still store things under the extended platform.
I have some ideas, but wanted to see if something is already there and/or see other people's ideas before starting my build.
Cheers!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plywood.. cut to shape/size
2x2 wood cut to length for legs...

Nice! I'll probably end up doing something like that, but I need to keep the full cargo space and only sleep in it occasionally after a late show where I can still have my musical equipment in there and slide it all over so I can fit next to it, so a half platform like that won't work for me. I might just build a platform in front of the 2nd row to fill in that area, but was hoping for something that could fold away or be easily removed and stowed inside when needed.
The image below shows my current setup with full carpeting in the back that's secured with Velcro and removable.
Thanks for sharing such a cool idea and video!
Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might try to find some plastic storage boxes that fit in the footwells and match the height of the folded down seat back. That is what I used to do in the Nissan Xterra that I had prior to getting the Pilot. Put one on each side and it should work, if you can find the right size. You may have a bit of a gap in the center, or maybe something else would fit in there. In the Xterra the Rubbermaid Action Packer in the smallest size was a perfect fit, almost like it was made for it. You would probably need something smaller in the Pilot. The added advantage is that these boxes can help organize your stuff.

·
Registered
526 Posts

or.... the plywood suggestion earlier... cut the plywood in 2 or 3 sections, and use hinges to make them fold, also hinges on the "legs"

Enjoy my mock up - great artist skills

(arrows shows directions of "fold"age)

greatest artist ever.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice!!! This is why I asked. These are some cool ideas. I like the storage bins idea also, I'll see what sizes I already have.
Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
People have removed the rear seats as well, which would massively increase your capacity for carrying "stuff" and help you create a platform.
cargo space

1 - 7 of 7 Posts