Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience towing with both? I'm contemplating going with either a 2014/15 Pilot or with the redesigned 2016/17 Pilot with 6 speed. I realize there is an advertised 500lb increase in towing capacity among the 4WD models, but not sure if it's worth the extra cost of a newer model. I currently tow ~4000lb with a 2007 Pilot LX 2wd using firestone airbags in the rear and it seems to be ok (yes, I know it's over the limit). Thanks for any input or considerations I may not be thinking about.

· Registered
2,579 Posts
When i purchased mine i had the 2016 and the 2015 side by side in the dealership lot... myself i felt the 2016 series was a mini van without the side doors..vs the boxy plastic stuff on the 2015 wasn't any better ..it basically comes down to how you feel about what you like and go with your gut feelings. Just tossing it out there the build quality after the 1st gen Pilots dropped ..they both suck 2nd and 3rd Gen. On the 4wd they Both come close to towing capacity . I still have both of my 1st Gens and i hope
i can get a 1 million miles out of it :)

· Registered
112 Posts
@adamizer. Thanks for the feedback. I recently learned that the 3rd gen no longer gives you the trans cooler and hitch standard with the AWD models whereas the 2nd Gen does and simply requires the harness.
I've had all three generations and towed at the limit with each. My 1st gen 4WD EXL was soft and under sprung. It wanted to sag the rear more with tongue weight. It had enough power to get the job done, but you had to make sure the tongue weight was not overloaded. The 2nd and 3rd gen tow similarly but the 3rd has more HP. They both do tow better than the earlier model with less sag. You are spot on that Honda yanked the tow package off the 3rd gen where it was standard on some trim levels of the 2nd gen. On my 2nd gen touring 4WD the cooler, harness, and hitch all came standard. On the 3rd, even with an Elite, you'll have to buy that stuff and add it. I think the handling on my Touring 2nd gen felt a little more sporty, but the ride on my Elite 3rd gen feels far more solid.

You'll be fine with either you choose for towing. 2nd gen is obviously the more economical up front as someone else has paid the depreciation from new and it comes with what you need to tow with certain trim levels.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had all three generations and towed at the limit with each. My 1st gen 4WD EXL was soft and under sprung. It wanted to sag the rear more with tongue weight. It had enough power to get the job done, but you had to make sure the tongue weight was not overloaded. The 2nd and 3rd gen tow similarly but the 3rd has more HP. They both do tow better than the earlier model with less sag. You are spot on that Honda yanked the tow package off the 3rd gen where it was standard on some trim levels of the 2nd gen. On my 2nd gen touring 4WD the cooler, harness, and hitch all came standard. On the 3rd, even with an Elite, you'll have to buy that stuff and add it. I think the handling on my Touring 2nd gen felt a little more sporty, but the ride on my Elite 3rd gen feels far more solid.

You'll be fine with either you choose for towing. 2nd gen is obviously the more economical up front as someone else has paid the depreciation from new and it comes with what you need to tow with certain trim levels.
Thanks @John M. It's good to know I won't be missing much in terms of towing if I decide to go with the 2nd Gen. Not an easy decision for sure. I am basically looking at $22k vs $34.5k out the door costs right now. On the 2nd Gen I want them to throw in the remote start and the 3rd gen it would be nice if they can throw in the tow package. I will probably visit them again at the end of the month to see what they are willing to do.
The car enthusiast in me wants the extra power and 6th gear whereas like you said the economical approach is to just go with the 2nd gen. I'm wondering if longer trips or going through elevation(think smokey mountains) would warrant the 3rd gen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.