Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What maintenance should I perform at 250k miles? I bought my 2005 Pilot a few years ago with 215k miles on the odometer. I'm not sure what (if any) maintenance was done at 200k, or at any point previously for that matter.

I change the oil and filter every 3k miles, but am not sure what else I could be doing to help prolong it's life.

Should I change belts? Spark plugs? Flush coolant system? What other fluids could use a flush? I am willing to invest time and money for preventative maintenance - any suggestions will be helpful and considered.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
Best bet is to go to the Honda website and grab the maintenance guide. If you can’t confirm a maintenance item has been done, then you might consider it.
Additionally if your radiator is the original you might consider replacing it to avoid the pink milkshake.
For the tranny don’t put it through a flush machine.

Reactions: And.Cope

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
The owners manual shows the maintenance schedule. 7500miles between changes is fine unless you are in a severe service category. Timing belt should have been done at 210k along with plugs. ATF last change should have been at 240k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The owners manual shows the maintenance schedule. 7500miles between changes is fine unless you are in a severe service category. Timing belt should have been done at 210k along with plugs. ATF last change should have been at 240k.
What is ATF?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Automatic transmission fluid.

Reactions: Rocky and And.Cope

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very helpful answers, thank you! I will most likely change the plugs, radiator, and ATF. Not sure if I'm capable of changing the timing belt, and it may be a bit out of my price range to have a mechanic change it, but I will definitely check.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Also vacuum out the rear blower filter screen. I do this every 15k miles to avoid the blower transistor/resistor module failing due to overheating. This isn’t listed in the maintenance manual.

@plplplpl will show you the link to this.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
Lets add fresh VTM fluid for the rear diff. Dealer only part

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Don't forget to inspect/replace air filter, PS/PB fluids. Timing belt and related components are all too important to not budget for replacement if not already done. With synthetic oils my oil change intervals have been approx 5k

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
All of the above...

Also vacuum out the rear blower filter screen. I do this every 15k miles to avoid the blower transistor/resistor module failing due to overheating. This isn’t listed in the maintenance manual.

@plplplpl will show you the link to this.

And as mentioned, if it's never been done, you are way overdue for the timing belt you've already been rolling the 🎲🎲 on, and at that mileage you're pushing the envelope on (and thank you for giving me another chance to reuse the custom animated GIF I just made)...

I know it may seem like a lot, but it's much better than a budget-busting recurring car payment, and you're lucky to have a pretty darn good vehicle to start with. Go for it! (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts