Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car finally died after many miles...
Followed all maintenance.. at Honda Dealer only.
Drove car in a very mild manner, but drove it a lot.
3 transmissions were it's only flaw until now... yes, big flaw....
This might be about all these engines are designed to get. I wouldn't expect much more, but I'm happy when I get it.

Dealership gave me 6k for it on a trade in for a Toyota Minivan.. I need it for work.. The Pilot was actually not big enough to help with my business delivering products. We have a full size van as well, but this is better second option when needed.

Dealership also did not charge me for the diagnostic and head removal along with the oil pan. nice of them.

I loved the car for how it drove, but it's cost as a business vehicle was too high.. For a family vehicle that only gets driven 15k a year.. it's a great option.

I'm curious how this Toyota 3.5L with an 8 speed will do. It does have it's pluses.. Timing Chain instead of a belt and no VCM. There is also no Stop/Start system for traffic or stop lights.

I'll miss you Honda Pilot for the fun you were to drive. I hope the reliability problems pre 237,000 miles get resolved.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Car finally died after many miles...
Followed all maintenance.. at Honda Dealer only.
Drove car in a very mild manner, but drove it a lot.
3 transmissions were it's only flaw until now... yes, big flaw....
This might be about all these engines are designed to get. I wouldn't expect much more, but I'm happy when I get it.

Dealership gave me 6k for it on a trade in for a Toyota Minivan.. I need it for work.. The Pilot was actually not big enough to help with my business delivering products. We have a full size van as well, but this is better second option when needed.

Dealership also did not charge me for the diagnostic and head removal along with the oil pan. nice of them.

I loved the car for how it drove, but it's cost as a business vehicle was too high.. For a family vehicle that only gets driven 15k a year.. it's a great option.

I'm curious how this Toyota 3.5L with an 8 speed will do. It does have it's pluses.. Timing Chain instead of a belt and no VCM. There is also no Stop/Start system for traffic or stop lights.

I'll miss you Honda Pilot for the fun you were to drive. I hope the reliability problems pre 237,000 miles get resolved.
Wow! 237k
If I remember correctly, you didn't deactivate the VCM?

·
Registered
813 Posts
My god 237K is a lot for 4-5 years! To be honest, for a car that I'm assuming was driven on the freeway to only get 237k miles isn't a whole lot. I was expecting much more, at least 350-400k miles.

How did you end up at 3 transmissions? Did you have to pay for the replacements or did the dealer pay for them?

·
Registered
766 Posts
That’s pretty poor. 3 transmissions and an engine. My Toyota is still rolling strong 20 years old on the original engine/ trans. I suspect you’ll have a lot better results with the van.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
237k miles is disappointing. I believe in regular maintenance, but you shouldn't have to baby sit an engine that gets cold started infrequently compared to the total mileage and almost always operates at a constant temperature and almost always gets its cold start junk and condensation burned off with every drive cycle like this engine obviously did.

Anything resembling 7k to 10k oil change intervals should have been easy street for an engine that gets driven as much as this one. Was it full of oil when it tossed the rod?

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
IMO, 3rd Gen running on the back 3 cylinders most of the time because of the VCM..., surprised it didn't go sooner.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
33 Posts
YIKES! 3 Tranny's and Engine failure! I have come to expect an engine and tranny should outlast the other annoyances that doom a vehicle - electronic gremlins, shot suspension, annoying constant small repairs, cosmetic wear. Short of timing failure, no way an engine should go if maintained properly before the average person decides to trade or dump it for a newer, nicer ride. Sorry to say....really hope yours was a bad exception, rather than being "all it is designed to get". Hope you have GREAT luck with your Toyota. YOU DESERVE IT!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes.. I never deactivated VCM... Could be why it happened.. anecdotal evidence is always a hard sell to me. I would like to see the datapoints on 100 vcm on and 100 vcm off vehicles. But, we will never get that kind of data. We can compare different generations and different brands.. and it throws it off... but the theories sound valid on it. I'm not going to argue that spending $120 on a VCM Muzzler may have been the solution to preventing this.

1 transmission was under warranty.. 2nd one was on me for $4000... First time was Dog Leg Gear failure at 60k and 2nd time was an internal pump or solenoid failure. at around 130k..

The only thing I ever did to the car was timing belts, oil, coolant, etc as Honda recommended.
I never changed the brakes or struts, well, I never really use them that much. Tires got me to 110k every time.. on 3rd set.
I live in Louisiana, it's a mild climate and very very very flat here.. lol..
I understand why people think engines should last longer, but in my experience with Newer vehicles.. over last 20 years.. After I hit 200k, they start using more oil, or other parts start to go.. AC Compressors, alternators, transmissions, injectors, coil packs..

I always shoot for 300k, but if you look at my list on my signature.. I don't ever make it, but I sure get close!

I have had fellow salesman get 350,000 to 450,000 out of a variety of SUV's.. but they end up with some catastrophic failure at some point that just isn't worth fixing..

We have come a long way in 30 years from cars that barely got to 100,000 miles to being able to get nearly 300,000 mile on many vehicles now and getting 200,000 on most.. It's amazing.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Yes.. I never deactivated VCM... Could be why it happened.. anecdotal evidence is always a hard sell to me. I would like to see the datapoints on 100 vcm on and 100 vcm off vehicles. But, we will never get that kind of data. We can compare different generations and different brands.. and it throws it off... but the theories sound valid on it. I'm not going to argue that spending $120 on a VCM Muzzler may have been the solution to preventing this.

1 transmission was under warranty.. 2nd one was on me for $4000... First time was Dog Leg Gear failure at 60k and 2nd time was an internal pump or solenoid failure. at around 130k..
All I can say about VCM shutting down 3 cylinders and Honda masking off the vibration with their fancy engine mounts is.., If the vehicle were parked at idle with normal engine mounts running on the back 3, the engine would likely die or be close to dying. When you accelerate, the engine would feel like its about to shake apart. I'd be prompted to find the first mechanic shop I could find to fix it, or have it towed because it would feel un-drivable. IMHO, your vehicles history is proof of a failed design. Disabling the VCM would have saved the expense of a 3rd transmission and it would still be on the road today, on the way to 300k+ because of the new transmission install.
Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: kilgore

·
Read Only
187 Posts
It is totally ridicules that people on this board will blame not disabling the VCM for every problem a Honda has ever had, the logic is quite ridiculous and overly obvious. Who knows how the person drove the vehicle or maintained the vehicle ect.
I'm sure most Honda's will make 200k even with poor maintenance! My 2009 runs super smooth and my VCM comes on all the time and the only way I notice it is seeing the ECO aluminate. I got zero vibrations at 225K and the head gasket is not leaking at all. I never even adjusted the valve's once and the engine runs perfect.
Love Love Love:):):):):) the VCM wouldn't disabled because that would be stupid in my personal experience.
If I wanted to disable it, I would not need to buy a device. All you got to do it throw an 02 sensor code like a P0420 and the VCM turn off, and by the way it turns off without messing with the true temperature gauge readings. You know when you use a device that lies to you about your engines temperature you really need your head examined.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
OK now,
Having gone 187K in my Gen 1 Pilot before adding a SVCM, and also some of the things Ya'll are saying like it caused a connecting rod failure?
I'm not buying that one.
Tranny failures?
I do know that once a dated a girl who had a some little Turbo car in FL. She took it to a shop for an oil change,
well after them also saying the put a valve cover gasket on, etc? She spent hundreds of dollars and they kept her there 6 hrs! I lift the hood, check the oil dipstick- you'd expect clean oil, right? Nope, dirty as hell.

All I'm saying that there are a lot of shady/dishonest shops- that fill their customers all sorts of BS to make profits only.

Reactions: PHM and 311042

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
It is totally ridicules that people on this board will blame not disabling the VCM for every problem a Honda has ever had, the logic is quite ridiculous and overly obvious. Who knows how the person drove the vehicle or maintained the vehicle ect.
I'm sure most Honda's will make 200k even with poor maintenance! My 2009 runs super smooth and my VCM comes on all the time and the only way I notice it is seeing the ECO aluminate. I got zero vibrations at 225K and the head gasket is not leaking at all. I never even adjusted the valve's once and the engine runs perfect.
Love Love Love:):):):):) the VCM wouldn't disabled because that would be stupid in my personal experience.
If I wanted to disable it, I would not need to buy a device. All you got to do it throw an 02 sensor code like a P0420 and the VCM turn off, and by the way it turns off without messing with the true temperature gauge readings. You know when you use a device that lies to you about your engines temperature you really need your head examined.
Jeff, while I agree with most all of what you just said,
That being said- I now have an SVCM on my Gen 1 and my Gen 2! I like it. I didn't think I saw a difference before either- until I disabled it. It's there, Yeah/Naw- it's there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff,

I don't disagree with you. I follow the data..and we have none that supports VCM on or off except the exceptions.. or anecdotal evidence. But, I'm not going to argue that it's possible that running engines to MPG limits doesn't effect longevity of an engine. How much life does it take off? 10k, 50k, 100k?? And how many people really own a car to the mileage that I do? Not that many. Most people replace cars before 100,000 miles and will never see the effects long term.

I don't want this to be a thread of VCM vs Muzzler debate. I was just posting my experiences.

Online, we always get to see the HORRIBLE experiences and the BEST experiences.. The silence is always the middle ground.. I would not say mine was a horrible one due to the transmission issues, but it made me skip Honda on my next buy. I'm still a fan and look forward to seeing what they produce in the future. It looks like they are going Electric after their Formula 1 announcement to leave the series due to it not progressing their future technologies.. i.e. Combustion/Turbo engines vs Electric...??

Also, for all I know.... the oil pump was failing, oil filter may have had debris in it from the factory, etc.. and it caused bearing failure/rod failure... It's one of those things that I'll never know.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,331 Posts
1000 miles or so a week. Probably an oil change every ten days or so. Impressive. I hope you do as well with the Toyota and that your business gets better and better. Didn't know that the V6 Siena was still available. Hybrids have overtaken the entire Toyota lineup.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
Jeff,

I don't disagree with you. I follow the data..and we have none that supports VCM on or off except the exceptions.. or anecdotal evidence. But, I'm not going to argue that it's possible that running engines to MPG limits doesn't effect longevity of an engine. How much life does it take off? 10k, 50k, 100k?? And how many people really own a car to the mileage that I do? Not that many. Most people replace cars before 100,000 miles and will never see the effects long term.

I don't want this to be a thread of VCM vs Muzzler debate. I was just posting my experiences.

Online, we always get to see the HORRIBLE experiences and the BEST experiences.. The silence is always the middle ground.. I would not say mine was a horrible one due to the transmission issues, but it made me skip Honda on my next buy. I'm still a fan and look forward to seeing what they produce in the future. It looks like they are going Electric after their Formula 1 announcement to leave the series due to it not progressing their future technologies.. i.e. Combustion/Turbo engines vs Electric...??

Also, for all I know.... the oil pump was failing, oil filter may have had debris in it from the factory, etc.. and it caused bearing failure/rod failure... It's one of those things that I'll never know.
You were just pointing out your experience, My Pilot has had it's issues also! It's always the same song on this board, everything is caused by not turning off your VCM. :sleep::sleep:.
This is my next vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
Tossing a rod suddenly seems like an odd relationship to VCM long-term use. Most gradually failing rod bearings make quite a racket before the rod's big end lets loose.
Wondering if this was a bearing failure from old age and mileage or a sudden failure of the rod.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
813 Posts
The OP probably drove on the highway a lot so VCM would be active for most of those miles. The Honda v6 is a pretty reliable engine and should be able to go past 300k easily, but the biggest downside with this engine is the VCM system. VCM has caused a lot of issues to past Honda v6 engines ad this one is no different.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,588 Posts
I don’t buy it. The engine running on 3 cylinders wouldn’t cause that kind of failure. I can kind of understand piston ring wear but that’s it. As far as the transmission goes, I fail to understand how VCM causes them to fail. I thought it was DW-1 ATF that was causing failures?

The people on this forum make up such a small percentage of Pilot owners. Most people join forums to complain or to ask for advice when something bad happens. The number of Pilots I see on the road indicates that they must be somewhat reliable or nobody would pay way over KBB to buy them (which happens in my area).

·
Registered
270 Posts
The number of Pilots I see on the road indicates that they must be somewhat reliable or nobody would pay way over KBB to buy them (which happens in my area).
It's my opinion that you greatly underestimate society these days. Gone are the practical days - practical thinkers, buyers, etc. Now it's all about keeping up with the Jones, whatever it cost. New iPhones every year, constantly trading in vehicles, doing limited to no research on anything except social media. I don't want to keep going, I get annoyed. I think you get the point though. In short - just because something exist in numbers these days, doesn't reflect it's true value or performance.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I don’t buy it. The engine running on 3 cylinders wouldn’t cause that kind of failure. I can kind of understand piston ring wear but that’s it. As far as the transmission goes, I fail to understand how VCM causes them to fail. I thought it was DW-1 ATF that was causing failures?

The people on this forum make up such a small percentage of Pilot owners. Most people join forums to complain or to ask for advice when something bad happens. The number of Pilots I see on the road indicates that they must be somewhat reliable or nobody would pay way over KBB to buy them (which happens in my area).
Take this for whatever it’s worth but the message is getting out there.
“Then, recently, one of the old regulars from DriveAccord gave me some more insight. Her husband is one of the top Honda technicians in the country, and has been a Honda factory trained technician since 1981. Last week at a dealer in Texas, he replaced three Honda V6′s with VCM due to oil starvation. Apparently, when VCM engaged in these vehicles, the engines became starved of oil and tore themselves up. This could be related to the oil consumption issue in the above paragraph, or it could be a completely new issue. Either way, with VCM saving only small amounts of fuel (if any at all), but causing thousands in potential damage, it doesn’t seem very worth it.”

Verdict: VCM is a stupid technology, save your money (if you can)!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts