Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on the brand new 2023 Seqouia? I'm warming to the idea of turbo V6s in this size vehicle and Toyota is not posturing the hybrid for efficiency, rather for towing performance. I think it looks better than the Tundra and the interior looks nice. Quite frankly, very disappointed in how bad the 3rd row/cargo area is - it may be worse than the Pilot or our '14 Traverse in those areas. TRD Pro looks awesome.

Do you lament the fact that this is meant to replace the Land Cruiser in Toyota's lineup, and now the only "LC" we get is the LX600, which is very street oriented?

@sequoiasoon ?? Is this the one for you? Or will you look for a last year 2nd gen with low miles?

Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate

Speedometer Car Vehicle Gear shift Trip computer

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Ecoregion

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
665 Posts
Honestly this isn't even in the same category as the Pilot. Toyota is posturing the Sequoia to compete against the Expedition and Yukon/Suburban in the body-on-frame segment. With 9k lb towing capacity it will compete against those vehicles very well, and at roughly the same price point.

I swapped to a V-8 Durango from the Pilot to get increased tow capability, but if I keep towing for years then the '23 Tundra is on my very short list. Once my kids get bigger they'll easily overmatch the Durango patgetic rear axel weight limit.

I agree the 3rd row and cargo space look pretty small.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
828 Posts
@sequoiasoon ?? Is this the one for you? Or will you look for a last year 2nd gen with low miles?

View attachment 160099

View attachment 160100
Wife likes the look of the new but of course the TRD Pro. She loved her '03 not so much the style of the 2nd gen.

We would need to really test drive and size fit at that point. As long as all mine stay running, new ones are a far off thought with one in college and one starting PA school. At $5 per gallon I'm thinking scooter for her to get to work :unsure: .

I saw a white Tundra like above, the headlights are totally blacked out when off as bottom of housing is black so black reflection in back of light.

Pilot has 4.5 years or 80k left before HondaCare expires so we'll see how it holds up until then. The rest of the cars are out of warranty so they just roll on. My Accord is seeing more use for trips over the Pilot even. Staying just under 70mph gets me almost 40 mpg. I normally get low 30's back and forth to work.

Let me add to that by saying if I put a maroon Durango R/T with the scoop hood and blacktop package in the driveway it might be better than her reading 50 shades of gray. ;)

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly this isn't even in the same category as the Pilot. Toyota is posturing the Sequoia to compete against the Expedition and Yukon/Suburban in the body-on-frame segment. With 9k lb towing capacity it will compete against those vehicles very well, and at roughly the same price point.

I swapped to a V-8 Durango from the Pilot to get increased tow capability, but if I keep towing for years then the '23 Tundra is on my very short list. Once my kids get bigger they'll easily overmatch the Durango patgetic rear axel weight limit.

I agree the 3rd row and cargo space look pretty small.
Yea I post pretty much any new 3 row in this subforum to keep the mods happy... definitely not a direct comparison but a vehicle that many on this forum have or will consider at some point I bet.

I have heard the new R/T Tow n Go and SRT tow ratings are pretty much useless due to RAWR for those vehicles. But they look good in marketing material I guess. I would NOT mind an R/T Tow n Go at all in my driveway.

Wife likes the look of the new but of course the TRD Pro. She loved her '03 not so much the style of the 2nd gen.

We would need to really test drive and size fit at that point. As long as all mine stay running, new ones are a far off thought with one in college and one starting PA school. At $5 per gallon I'm thinking scooter for her to get to work :unsure: .

I saw a white Tundra like above, the headlights are totally blacked out when off as bottom of housing is black so black reflection in back of light.

Pilot has 4.5 years or 80k left before HondaCare expires so we'll see how it holds up until then. The rest of the cars are out of warranty so they just roll on. My Accord is seeing more use for trips over the Pilot even. Staying just under 70mph gets me almost 40 mpg. I normally get low 30's back and forth to work.

Let me add to that by saying if I put a maroon Durango R/T with the scoop hood and blacktop package in the driveway it might be better than her reading 50 shades of gray. ;)
😅 😅 The love for the Durango with a Hemi is pretty strong in this thread so far... so much for turbo V6!

My Sonata keeps on rolling, so I may end up cramming all 3 kids in the back of it to save some money on gas! V6 sedan mileage is better than V6 3 row crossover.

Reactions: viper74656

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
828 Posts
My Sonata keeps on rolling, so I may end up cramming all 3 kids in the back of it to save some money on gas! V6 sedan mileage is better than V6 3 row crossover.
I only have the 2 but they are not small. It's actually crazy with the same size 2.4L motor how much better the Accord is on gas as compared to my old Sonata. Sonata averaged low 20's back and forth to work, maybe 30 on trips. I'm 10mpg more driving the same way.

I did tell the wife that the new Sequoia gets 30% better mileage than her old one (22 vs 15) o_O

·
Registered
102 Posts
We get the Toyota marketing emails as existing Toyota owners. My wife likes the new Sequoia a great deal. We will have to see it in person when it is available but as compared to the Wagoneer it may be less posh but is probably a better bet for those of us more comfortable with Toyota reliability when we own cars for the longer term. As horse owners, she will also like the towing capability. We will see but there is a not insubstantial chance we will wind up owning one in a few years.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only have the 2 but they are not small. It's actually crazy with the same size 2.4L motor how much better the Accord is on gas as compared to my old Sonata. Sonata averaged low 20's back and forth to work, maybe 30 on trips. I'm 10mpg more driving the same way.

I did tell the wife that the new Sequoia gets 30% better mileage than her old one (22 vs 15) o_O
Our Sonata V6 is 21-22 around town and 28-29 on the highway... compared to 17/22 for the Traverse and Pilot it's a Prius.

We get the Toyota marketing emails as existing Toyota owners. My wife likes the new Sequoia a great deal. We will have to see it in person when it is available but as compared to the Wagoneer it may be less posh but is probably a better bet for those of us more comfortable with Toyota reliability when we own cars for the longer term. As horse owners, she will also like the towing capability. We will see but there is a not insubstantial chance we will wind up owning one in a few years.
What have you thought about the Wagoneer seeing them in person? I really liked it in pictures and it looks fat to me in person. Like they took the very sharp looking Grand Cherokee L and inflated it and now it's busting at the seams. We won't get into the reliability discussion...

Strictly looking at towing ability - the solid axle on the Sequoia makes it the clear champ in my eyes. Should tow better from the start and less parts to wear out and cause even more issues down the road.5 link suspension with the factory air rear springs will ride great and provide excellent control.

Of course, the longer wheelbase models should be the best for towing... Suburban, Yukon XL, Expedition Max and upcoming Wagoneer L...

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Wagoneers are really nice in person - a little big as you note but very nice. Color matters. In white they appear more bloated than in the silver, burgundy, or black.

Between the Wagoneer and new Sequoia, my preference would likely be the Toyota just based on plain old durability. That being said, we have a 2020 Ram and it has been flawless, probably nicest vehicle ever owned, at least this far. But Toyota has that reliability reputation.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX-L
53 Posts
My wife had interest in a Sequoia over another Odyssey. The bottom line is, it is a giant gas guzzler and the odyssey STILL has more cargo space. She insisted on a third row and second row captains chains, which drew us to the Sequoia. The third row is very tiny, even more so than the pilot, and the cargo space behind the third row is smaller than you would expect for a vehicle of that size. For the price, just wasn't worth it to us. Only way this vehicle makes sense is if you must tow or carry heavy loads and/or are truly going off road.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife had interest in a Sequoia over another Odyssey. The bottom line is, it is a giant gas guzzler and the odyssey STILL has more cargo space. She insisted on a third row and second row captains chains, which drew us to the Sequoia. The third row is very tiny, even more so than the pilot, and the cargo space behind the third row is smaller than you would expect for a vehicle of that size. For the price, just wasn't worth it to us. Only way this vehicle makes sense is if you must tow or carry heavy loads and/or are truly going off road.
One of the GM vehicles with the diesel is getting some pretty impressive MPG numbers on their forums... but not sure I want a diesel right now with the current fuel climate and hatred for diesel vehicles.

A minivan is what 95% of 3 row crossover and SUV owners need, but we are vain and can't be seen in such vehicles. My dad had a Metris for work for a couple years, and I spent quite a bit of time driving it and found it to be much more satisfying than a typical American minivan, but it certainly had it's quirks.

Reactions: DurtESanch

·
Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,552 Posts
Its a HUGE improvement over the outgoing model. But then can you imagine people's reaction if Honda still had the 2008 or 9 Pilot in production and introduced the 2023 model like they will shortly? The saving grace of the Sequoia over the Pilot is that the former doesn't have much competition.

Visually its like a Sienna/Highlander from the side and rear. Front has both Tundra and Highlander family resemblance. I'm not convinced Toyota really tried hard enough. There's too much "thats good enough" in their Koolaid in the design department.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hard to make those enormous body-on-frame boxes look attractive no matter what you do. About the best you can ever say is, "well at least they tried".

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hard to make those enormous body-on-frame boxes look attractive no matter what you do. About the best you can ever say is, "well at least they tried".
I'd argue the Excursion is the most successful... I think the current Yukon is the best new model available. The Excursion also had the amazing three section rear door/hatch.

Its a HUGE improvement over the outgoing model. But then can you imagine people's reaction if Honda still had the 2008 or 9 Pilot in production and introduced the 2023 model like they will shortly? The saving grace of the Sequoia over the Pilot is that the former doesn't have much competition.

Visually its like a Sienna/Highlander from the side and rear. Front has both Tundra and Highlander family resemblance. I'm not convinced Toyota really tried hard enough. There's too much "thats good enough" in their Koolaid in the design department.
I spent a little time researching on Toyota forums when the '23 was released a month or two ago. People were freaking out about the solid rear axle and horrible third row/cargo setup. It seems some of the "Kool Aid" drinkers may not purchase again, it will be interesting to see how the market receives it.

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With fuel costs,inflation and the world in such disarray it would be t spooky to finance any vehicle right now.
Totally agree... but a lot of people will still do it for good or bad reasons. The mega SUVs took a pretty good hit during the '08ish downturn, I expect we will see something similar here for the next couple years. The history of such things shows a cyclical pattern for gas prices, so if you can afford to buy one of these while they are cheap (assuming this is what you want) you will be in good shape when gas prices come back down.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thoughts on the brand new 2023 Seqouia? I'm warming to the idea of turbo V6s in this size vehicle and Toyota is not posturing the hybrid for efficiency, rather for towing performance. I think it looks better than the Tundra and the interior looks nice. Quite frankly, very disappointed in how bad the 3rd row/cargo area is - it may be worse than the Pilot or our '14 Traverse in those areas. TRD Pro looks awesome.
Here are a couple of links to MotorTrend articles on the 2012 Sequoias:

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TFL Trucks has a towing review up now too. Haven't had time to watch it yet:

Surprise - the hybridized twin turbo V6 is effortless. And the solid rear axle makes the rear end "elvis pelvis" less.

It's a great performer, but I can't get over some of the compromises.

And I've seen multiple long term reviewers of the Tundra complain about the seats... I'm logically concluding the Sequoia has the same seats and that also disappoints. This size of vehicle should have THE MOST COMFORTABLE SEATS EVER!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts