Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2023 Pilot vs Mazda CX90/70 vs. ?

15486 Views 265 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  TexAg91
My wife and I are still rocking our 2005 Pilot. We raised our family with it and it is still going strong with 197k. I am looking for a new family car and capacity is less of a factor now since 2 of our 3 kids drive. Usually we only have 2-4 total people riding anymore. I am planning on keeping the 05 for my youngest. We keep our cars a long time so reliability is very important. I love the idea of going smaller for more fuel efficiency and fun to drive characteristics but a smooth quiet ride is also important. What do you think of the new in-line 6 Mazda has coming in the cx90/70? What else is everyone considering?
141 - 160 of 266 Posts

· Registered
5,821 Posts
Yep. Definitely RWD platform and longitudinal engine layout. Doubt it will have the space efficiency of the Pilot.
Ouch. Well we will see what they come up with, hopefully it's not a flop.

· Registered
5,821 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Last night, Tesla basically dropped the prices on all the cars substantially. I kind of had the Model Y on my list, but it was way too expensive in the mid to upper 60s last year and no tax rebate. The Model Y Long Range is 20% cheaper AND qualifies for a $7,500 fed tax credit (conditions apply), effectively bringing the price down to $45,490 before taxes and fees.
• Model Y Long Range: $52,990 (from $65,990, a 20% drop)
• Model Y P: $56,990 (from $69,990, a 23% drop)

Could this indicative of other manufacturers and dealers following suit from the sky high prices coupled with high interest rates and general feel of the economy? I don't know and will be interesting to see how things play out this year. Feels like Tesla is the canary in the coal mine. I could be wrong.

· Registered
608 Posts
I think this is the result of a combination of one or more of a number of things including, but not limited to:
  • Some rather questionable actions on behalf of Tesla's CEO (e.g., Twitter)
  • Competition
  • Poor quality
  • Falling value of Tesla stock
I was all for Tesla, but I want and occasionally need a vehicle with an open bed. I was ecstatic about the Cybertruck and ready to place an order, but they're still not in production four years later. Then, I realized how poor Tesla's quality is. Then, I began questioning the CEO's sanity. At this point, I am no longer interested in buying or recommending a Tesla and will keep driving a Ridgeline until something better for me comes along.

· Registered
5,821 Posts
There's still be relatively little in terms of 3 row crossover EVs. The Rivian R1S is probably the most similar to our cars, but extremely expensive. Can someone make an EV version of their already successful three row crossover with 200+ miles of range and keep it in within reach of the price points the gas versions are at? To me, that will be extraordinarily successful.

And honestly, I'd love to see a Maverick EV. 200 miles of range without changing the look of it would be perfect.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

· Registered
41 Posts
There's still be relatively little in terms of 3 row crossover EVs. The Rivian R1S is probably the most similar to our cars, but extremely expensive. Can someone make an EV version of their already successful three row crossover with 200+ miles of range and keep it in within reach of the price points the gas versions are at? To me, that will be extraordinarily successful.

And honestly, I'd love to see a Maverick EV. 200 miles of range without changing the look of it would be perfect.
True. The Kia EV9 is on the cusp of being launched, sometime this year. Like the Telluride (A.K.A Selluride), it's going to be mainstream but pricey and hard to find and I don't imagine it would crest the $75,000 ceiling. I expect base MSRP around $60,000

· Registered
608 Posts
"On January 31, Mazda North American Operations will reveal the first-ever 2024 Mazda CX-90. The CX-90 will be offered with a highly anticipated all-new powerful and responsive 3.3L Inline Six e-Skyactiv Turbo engine.

The available 3.3-liter inline six turbo will have the highest horsepower and torque from a mass production gasoline engine developed by Mazda with 340 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque when using the recommended premium fuel. This engine provides CX-90 an engaging driving experience with a rewarding exhaust note, while also featuring a mild-hybrid system for efficiency without compromising on performance.

This inline six turbo is developed specifically for the large platform, Mazda's all-new rear-biased all-wheel drive layout that supports a performance-focused experience. Additionally, Kinematic Posture Control (KPC), first introduced on the MX-5 Miata, is standard on all CX-90 models and will help maintain Mazda's signature driving dynamics to the three-row crossover SUV."

· Registered
41 Posts
"On January 31, Mazda North American Operations will reveal the first-ever 2024 Mazda CX-90. The CX-90 will be offered with a highly anticipated all-new powerful and responsive 3.3L Inline Six e-Skyactiv Turbo engine.

The available 3.3-liter inline six turbo will have the highest horsepower and torque from a mass production gasoline engine developed by Mazda with 340 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque when using the recommended premium fuel. This engine provides CX-90 an engaging driving experience with a rewarding exhaust note, while also featuring a mild-hybrid system for efficiency without compromising on performance.

This inline six turbo is developed specifically for the large platform, Mazda's all-new rear-biased all-wheel drive layout that supports a performance-focused experience. Additionally, Kinematic Posture Control (KPC), first introduced on the MX-5 Miata, is standard on all CX-90 models and will help maintain Mazda's signature driving dynamics to the three-row crossover SUV."

I am seriously looking forward to this event. I hope the fuel economy is at least 26mpg combined at a reasonable $50,000 - $55,000 price range. I have put all my purchase interests on hold, meanwhile.

· Registered
108 Posts

They're going straight for Acura's throat. I expect this to be substantially more expensive than the CX-9. Will probably start in the upper 40s/low 50s and go up to the upper 50s.

· Registered
5,821 Posts
While there are some that may outperform it (Explorer ST, Durango SRT, maybe some others) I've driven enough BMWs to know that if the I6 is done right (and while I don't hold Mazda in high regard I think their engine balancing is the only brand that competes with Honda) this will be fantastic to drive and a true pleasure to hear and feel accelerating.

I'm more interested now, the marketers did a really nice job with that piece of text and the numbers they provided are good enough to make me notice.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

· Registered
108 Posts
While there are some that may outperform it (Explorer ST, Durango SRT, maybe some others) I've driven enough BMWs to know that if the I6 is done right (and while I don't hold Mazda in high regard I think their engine balancing is the only brand that competes with Honda) this will be fantastic to drive and a true pleasure to hear and feel accelerating.

I'm more interested now, the marketers did a really nice job with that piece of text and the numbers they provided are good enough to make me notice.
True. I do not expect it to be at the level of the BMW B58, however, Mazda knows a thing or two about tuning the chassis in harmony with the powertrain. This new RWD architecture should give them plenty of room to fine tune it. This Mazda now comes close to the Acura MDX Type-S which starts at $70k.

141 - 160 of 266 Posts