Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
181 - 200 of 266 Posts

· Registered
608 Posts
How is Mazda's CX reliability compares to the Pilot?
Consumer Reports' reliability rating for the the 2022 Pilot is 1/5 while the 2022 CX-9's is 5/5.

I didn't have a single problem or fit and finish issue with my 2020 CX-5 Signature or 2019 MX-5 Miata Grand Touring. I can't say that for the last several Hondas I've had since 2016 which have all been disappointing compared to my 2014 and earlier Hondas.

· Registered
41 Posts
How is Mazda's CX reliability compares to the Pilot?
FWIW, according to CR, 2022 Honda Pilot has a reliability of Poor ( score of 1/5, major issues were 9AT transmission, in-car electronics and drive system), while the 2022 Mazda CX-9 has an excellent reliability (score 5/5, sore spot was in-car electronics). Interesting, in the same Consumer Report, the Owner Satisfaction score of the Mazda was 60 while that of the Honda was 68.

· Registered
5,821 Posts
If you are basing your purchasing decisions (especially for vehicles) off of Consumer Reports, I'm not sure I can help you.

Some on this forum love Mazdas and think they are amazing, I've been in 5 or 6 different CX-5s over the years and know people with 3s and CX-5s. They've almost all had quality issues and multiple CX-5s have needed new transmissions. If the CX-90 is amazing compared to the competitors I wouldn't hesitate to get it, but don't think you are getting some bastion of reliability or quality though. I would say they are comparable to Honda which is comparable to most brands. I don't really believe there are standouts one way or the other anymore in this class of vehicle (well, the Explorer did have a TON of bad QC issues at launch).

· Registered
364 Posts
One should always expect poor reliability for the 1st year of totally redesigned vehicles, that would include the 2024 Mazda CX-90 and 2023 Honda Pilot. So, don't base your purchase decisions on perceived reliability of these vehicles.
At lest Honda used some of the tech in MDX, Odyssey etc, so it might not be as bad. I would probably buy 2024 anyways for Pilot.

· Registered
108 Posts
At lest Honda used some of the tech in MDX, Odyssey etc, so it might not be as bad. I would probably buy 2024 anyways for Pilot.
Right. Just be prepared for a higher probability for things to go wrong in year 1. Warranty should give peace of mind.
The Mazda does have a few new things that could go wrong as it is a brand new platform.
  1. Turbocharger and intercooled in-line 6
  2. Mild hybrid
  3. New 8 speed gearbox with clutch pack and no torque converter. Think something like the Mercedes MCT transmission

· Registered
364 Posts
Right. Just be prepared for a higher probability for things to go wrong in year 1. Warranty should give peace of mind.
The Mazda does have a few new things that could go wrong as it is a brand new platform.
  1. Turbocharger and intercooled in-line 6
  2. Mild hybrid
  3. New 8 speed gearbox with clutch pack and no torque converter. Think something like the Mercedes MCT transmission
I hate going to dealership even for warranty work. In my area appointments are not available for weeks for mainstream brands. So warranty is not really a peace of mind for me. Pretty much why I considered dinosaur like Lexus GX.

That transmission does sound pretty complicated and might be completely designed to work with hybrid only.

· Registered
108 Posts
I hate going to dealership even for warranty work. In my area appointments are not available for weeks for mainstream brands. So warranty is not really a peace of mind for me. Pretty much why I considered dinosaur like Lexus GX.

That transmission does sound pretty complicated and might be completely designed to work with hybrid only.
I can imagine. Hence my primary car is an appliance, aka, Toyota Camry. I too am planning to wait one full model year before purchasing either the Pilot or the CX90.

· Registered
41 Posts
Honda did nothing to move the needle on the fuel economy front in this iteration of the Pilot, still 21 mpg, combined, not good in these times, where everyone is moving toward hybridization or electrification. So, another 6-7 years before some form of electric assist driving. Kia (with their full electric EV9 coming this year) and Mazda ( with CX-90 hybrid inline 6 and PHEV) being released on 31 Jan) already jumped the gun and will lead this category. Honda used to be the pioneer and leader in innovation (engine, chassis, technology, safety, interior packaging and design, etc) but has ceded most of this (except in handling/AWD system, and interior space packaging where it is superior) to newcomers.

· Registered
5,821 Posts
Honda did nothing to move the needle on the fuel economy on this iteration of the Pilot, still 21 mpg, combined, not good in these times, where everyone is moving toward hybridization or electrification. So, another 6-7 years before some form of electric assist driving. Kia (with their full electric EV9 coming this year) and Mazda ( with CX-90 hybrid inline 6 and PHEV) being released on 31 Jan) already jumped the gun and will lead this category. Honda used to be the pioneer and leader in innovation (engine, chassis, technology, safety, interior packaging and design, etc) but has ceded this to newcomers.
Hybrids have been tried multiple times in this category with limited success. The Highlander Hybrid is the only survivor.

I'm interested to see where this category goes in terms of hybrid powertrains (thought I don't want one at this time) but I'm more intrigued by the BEV versions. That is much more appealing to my use case. And I'm kind of over this trend of insanely powered BEVs that kill their range, give me a BEV with performance on-par or marginally improved over the current crop of 3 rows and let me get the extra range.

· Registered
108 Posts
Honda did nothing to move the needle on the fuel economy front in this iteration of the Pilot, still 21 mpg, combined, not good in these times, where everyone is moving toward hybridization or electrification. So, another 6-7 years before some form of electric assist driving. Kia (with their full electric EV9 coming this year) and Mazda ( with CX-90 hybrid inline 6 and PHEV) being released on 31 Jan) already jumped the gun and will lead this category. Honda used to be the pioneer and leader in innovation (engine, chassis, technology, safety, interior packaging and design, etc) but has ceded most of this (except in handling/AWD system, and interior space packaging where it is superior) to newcomers.
The below average fuel economy is a knock on the Pilot and the MDX. The BMW inline 6 (B58) gets much better than the naturally aspirated Pilot.

· Registered
364 Posts
Acura MDX hybrid improved upon gas counterpart on everything, performance, feel, mpg except highway while costing just 1.5k more when equally equipped iirc. In traffic going fully electric instead of engine stop. I think Honda could have made it little more efficient and less powerful and just plugged it in pilot. I think it's low sales number of hybrid MDX that caused Honda to drop it entirely.

· Registered
5,821 Posts
Acura MDX hybrid improved upon gas counterpart on everything, performance, feel, mpg except highway while costing just 1.5k more when equally equipped iirc. In traffic going fully electric instead of engine stop. I think Honda could have made it little more efficient and less powerful and just plugged it in pilot. I think it's low sales number of hybrid MDX that caused Honda to drop it entirely.
Nissan tried one as well. I think Explorer is currently trying one with low sales numbers. I think a hybrid is not a high priority in this class of vehicle, and those that really want that can go to the Highlander Hybrid which is far and away the most efficient (and probably most reliable implementation) choice. If there was such a hot market for three row crossover hybrids, wouldn't you see a bunch of manufacturers jumping on it like they are in the compact segment?

· Registered
364 Posts
Nissan tried one as well. I think Explorer is currently trying one with low sales numbers. I think a hybrid is not a high priority in this class of vehicle, and those that really want that can go to the Highlander Hybrid which is far and away the most efficient (and probably most reliable implementation) choice. If there was such a hot market for three row crossover hybrids, wouldn't you see a bunch of manufacturers jumping on it like they are in the compact segment?
There is big waiting list for hybrid highlander. Hybrid MDX are selling for more than what they were selling for new.

· Registered
5,821 Posts
There is big waiting list for hybrid highlander. Hybrid MDX are selling for more than what they were selling for new.
I have NEVER heard someone say they want or are getting a Hybrid MDX. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Regardless, proof is in what the manufacturers are offering for sale and actually selling. Maybe in 5 years hybrid 3 row crossovers will be the hottest thing, right now they aren't. As I continue to mention, the Highlander Hybrid has a cult following and I acknowledge that but no other hybrid has had success in this class.

Reactions: devmechster

· Registered
364 Posts
I have NEVER heard someone say they want or are getting a Hybrid MDX. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Regardless, proof is in what the manufacturers are offering for sale and actually selling. Maybe in 5 years hybrid 3 row crossovers will be the hottest thing, right now they aren't. As I continue to mention, the Highlander Hybrid has a cult following and I acknowledge that but no other hybrid has had success in this class.
MDX hybrid came out way ahead of it's time and wasn't marked right. You are right about sells were low when it was available new as I said as well. My point was look at used market segment. I would disagree that proof is in what manufacturers are offering. Usually they lag few years behind actual demand due to time it takes for development. Kia Telluride is proof of that as well, it came out and sold like hotcakes (2022 sales are lower by single digits than of pilot). Before that only pilot came close to in interior size and now pilot has grown as well. Let's see what happens with grand highlander vs pilot.

181 - 200 of 266 Posts