Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Any thoughts? Anyone jumping from the Pilot to one?

I think it is a handsome vehicle. probably not to replace the Pilot but something in this class of ”largest” 3 rows that can tow over 8k lbs will suit our needs since we would like to get a travel trailer at some point.

I think the interior is distinctive and a nice looking place to be. I could certainly spend the 13+ hour drive to Disney looking at it.

Based on price and size I doubt I’d cross shop the base model with an Elite Pilot, but I’d certainly stack it up against a Tahoe and Suburban.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
When I win the lottery, sure, well, maybe not then either LOL

·
Registered
180 Posts
While Grand Cherokee is generally one of the better Chrysler products, it won't compare to Honda in reliability.

I like the looks and the power. I would have considered a diesel. I would like to see what reviews look like, especially it's offroading prowess.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Any thoughts? Anyone jumping from the Pilot to one?
I think it is a handsome vehicle. probably not to replace the Pilot but something in this class of ”largest” 3 rows that can tow over 8k lbs will suit our needs since we would like to get a travel trailer at some point.
I think the interior is distinctive and a nice looking place to be. I could certainly spend the 13+ hour drive to Disney looking at it.
Does it have a mute function for "are we there, yet?"?
If I needed a vehicle in that category, I'd get a Toyota Sequoia. But it only has a 7,200lb towing capacity.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like it...
But I don't need/can't afford anything that big.
It is a Chrysler product which could be a little concerning.
Meh, we've had plenty of GM products over the years and my mom and sister have both had Wranglers that have been excellent... but her Outback needed and engine out repair just outside of the warranty and my mom's '04 Pilot had the transmission go up at 100k. At this point I've decided to get the vehicle I like the best at that time and not worry about reliability.

With the leaking compliance bushing our Pilot will have cost more then the arguably less reliable Traverse since we've owned them both. And the Pilot has half the miles.

While Grand Cherokee is generally one of the better Chrysler products, it won't compare to Honda in reliability.

I like the looks and the power. I would have considered a diesel. I would like to see what reviews look like, especially it's offroading prowess.
They are not giving it the "Jeep Rated" or whatever badge because it's simply too long and wide. It has the tech and mechanical parts but the angles will be horrendous as well as its agility on the trails. It will be interesting to see a comparo between the Tahoe, Expedition and Wagonner... The Armada and Sequoia are both excellent vehicles but are also-rans in terms of sales.

Does it have a mute function for "are we there, yet?"?
If I needed a vehicle in that category, I'd get a Toyota Sequoia. But it only has a 7,200lb towing capacity.
The towing capacity is definitely intriguing, but I think that's for the Grand Wagoneer... will the Wagoneer get a rating close to that so on paper it is superior to the competition by a good margin? I've always wondered how the Tahoe/Suburban have lower towing capacities than almost all of their Silverado siblings. Is it the frame? The brakes? The coil spring suspension?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like it...
But I don't need/can't afford anything that big.
It is a Chrysler product which could be a little concerning.
And Chrysler is owned by Fiat....more concerning.

Fiat has an outstanding bid to merge with Renault.....more more more concerning.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Fiat has an outstanding bid to merge with Renault.....more more more concerning.
That happened a couple months ago... Stellantis is the new conglomerate...

The Wagoneer is based on the Ram chassis, which has always been and according to Stellantis will always be engineered in America. Given our unique taste in full size pickups and SUVs I think it's safe to say most of the design for those vehicles will stay in America.

To be clear, I'm not saying Ram or Jeep are reliable brands and have long standing histories of reliability, and their choice in partners has been questionable at best. But like I said, I won't concern myself too much with that stuff if the vehicle is superior when I go to purchase.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts

Sorry Wrong. Chrysler is owned by Stallantis. A conglomerate of US, French, Italian etc and headquartered in Amsterdam. Renault and Nissan are not involved. FCA looked into that but dropped it due to French Govt interference.

The US is a very insular marketplace, difficult to penetrate for foreign companies and likewise US autos don't find many buyers outside the US.

These new Jeep products are in a totally different position in the marketplace to the Pilot. Top end pricing of the newest products is two and a half times the Pilot..... I've never gone above $38k for a new car or new to us car.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
With a 10,000 lb towing capacity it might be a vehicle to look at for a family that needs the amount of seating the Pilot offers as well as a good towing capacity for a trailer of some sort.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sorry Wrong. Chrysler is owned by Stallantis. A conglomerate of US, French, Italian etc and headquartered in Amsterdam. Renault and Nissan are not involved. FCA looked into that but dropped it due to French Govt interference.

The US is a very insular marketplace, difficult to penetrate for foreign companies and likewise US autos don't find many buyers outside the US.

These new Jeep products are in a totally different position in the marketplace to the Pilot. Top end pricing of the newest products is two and a half times the Pilot..... I've never gone above $38k for a new car or new to us car.
My sources:

I wasn't aware of the Stellantis formation....I was wrong....you were right...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea it's a little bit of a stretch to compare them but theoretically some people could cross shop the Pilot Elite with the base model Wagoneer. I'm with you, only bought over $30k once for my Tacoma, otherwise we have been firmly under $20k.

With a 10,000 lb towing capacity it might be a vehicle to look at for a family that needs the amount of seating the Pilot offers as well as a good towing capacity for a trailer of some sort.
Yea, since the Suburban HD died with the last generation (even then it was fleet only so it took a little more effort to get) there has been a void at the top end of towing SUVs. Personally I'd rather have a Suburban HD to tow a travel trailer than a Silverado HD. Three rows and enclosed cargo hold is more useful, my cheap Harbor Freight trailer does the dirty work when I need to.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
The towing capacity is definitely intriguing, but I think that's for the Grand Wagoneer... will the Wagoneer get a rating close to that so on paper it is superior to the competition by a good margin? I've always wondered how the Tahoe/Suburban have lower towing capacities than almost all of their Silverado siblings. Is it the frame? The brakes? The coil spring suspension?
Maybe it's partially due to the added weight of the roof, the glass and the extra seats?
What sort of a travel trailer are you contemplating buying?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe it's partially due to the added weight of the roof, the glass and the extra seats?
What sort of a travel trailer are you contemplating buying?
Yea I'd love for an auto journalist to ask and get the answers.

Family of 5 so a bunkhouse of some sort. I don't want to go with a massive trailer, I'd rather get one that has a creative use of space. For some trailers, bunkhouse means dedicated room for bunks, I'm not interested in that. I also don't understand why any trailers have 2 bathrooms or outdoor kitchens.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
I also don't understand why any trailers have 2 bathrooms or outdoor kitchens.
There a couple of trailers with two bathrooms, but they're the fifth-wheel configuration.
A few conventional trailers have a bath-and-a-half, but there don't seem to be any two bath models.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There a couple of trailers with two bathrooms, but they're the fifth-wheel configuration.
A few conventional trailers have a bath-and-a-half, but there don't seem to be any two bath models.
For the purposes of this conversation I'm considering bath and a half as two bathes. Wasting space and causing the trailer to be longer than needed.

As I casually watch the BTBRV channel on youtube I like a lot of the small 5th wheel with bunk floorplans over the conventional trailers with bunks. And a lot of them will result in a shorter trailer from the back of the bumper as well as easier and safer to tow being a 5th wheel.

But that involves buying an HD truck, which I don't particularly want to do. I hate the people around me (and there are a TON of them) who drive HD, diesel and or dually pickups when they don't tow anything or haul anything.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
I guess that might apply somewhat to me, as I have a trailer hitch and ball in place permanently but have yet to tow anything. Someday, though, I keep telling myself. :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess that might apply somewhat to me, as I have a trailer hitch and ball in place permanently but have yet to tow anything. Someday, though, I keep telling myself. :)
Well when you are chatting with your neighbor in his Tahoe you can tell him how yours tows more...

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
But that involves buying an HD truck, which I don't particularly want to do. I hate the people around me (and there are a TON of them) who drive HD, diesel and or dually pickups when they don't tow anything or haul anything.
But, don't you want to project a MANLY image by driving a huge TRUCK?

Besides, you've got to be prepared just in case you want to haul one of these monsters:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But, don't you want to project a MANLY image by driving a huge TRUCK?

Besides, you've got to be prepared just in case you want to haul one of these monsters:

I don't mind having certain features but I don't need a monster trailer. Also, that first one is a destination trailer, you don't want to move them too much.

No, I don't need a monster truck to assert my masculinity, being taller than 90% of the people I meet helps with that. And since I had kids I'm not trying to impress anyone, I don't have the energy for that.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 20 of 24 Posts