Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts?

I am a big fan of the Tundra, so I am trying to be optimistic about seeing it in person. The exterior is awfully busy and that grill is pretty... well... dominating.

The interior... I like the different seat patterns and styles. RED LEATHER!!! Wow, in a pickup. I thought the industry was finally moving away from the "tacked on" screen look but I guess Toyota is behind on that, otherwise the interior looks mid-pack IMO.

I'm sure the V6 will be impressive but I'm very sad the V8 isn't living in any trim level or as an optional engine.

Reactions: Nail Grease

· Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,887 Posts
It looks like a Chevy from the side. I'm not in love with it but I don't hate it.
Sad to hear about the V8...but that seems to be the direction we're moving in. I wonder if people are gonna look back and kick themselves for pushing for smaller engines with turbos. The amount of power those engines can produce is pretty incredible, but long term reliability remains to be seen.

· Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like a Chevy from the side. I'm not in love with it but I don't hate it.
Sad to hear about the V8...but that seems to be the direction we're moving in. I wonder if people are gonna look back and kick themselves for pushing for smaller engines with turbos. The amount of power those engines can produce is pretty incredible, but long term reliability remains to be seen.
I heard the early ecoboosts had issues but I haven't heard as much recently. I know it's certainly possible to make them reliable, I was always concerned they were running them too hard to be reliable and get that kind of power/torque numbers. Toyota hasn't had a ton of turbo engines (compared to other manufacturers) in the US market so it will be interesting to see if they have any hiccups.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,011 Posts
Yep, you said it.
Not a fan of a smaller V6 engine that's been turbocharged to make up the HP loss of a V8. For the average guy not putting the vehicle under a load, it's probably ok. I really like most everything else.

Reactions: cintocrunch

· Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,887 Posts
I heard the early ecoboosts had issues but I haven't heard as much recently. I know it's certainly possible to make them reliable, I was always concerned they were running them too hard to be reliable and get that kind of power/torque numbers. Toyota hasn't had a ton of turbo engines (compared to other manufacturers) in the US market so it will be interesting to see if they have any hiccups.
Well if anyone can do it reliably...it would be Toyota. Excited to see how things go. No matter how much we may dislike it, smaller/more powerful/more efficient engines are the future and turbos are a way to achieve that.

· Super Moderator
5,237 Posts
One things for sure is the resale value of the V8 Tundra just got higher. Pretty bold for Toyota to drop that iForce V8 that quickly.
Guess my Tundra will remain in the fleet for a lot longer.

Attachments

· Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,502 Posts
Many of us are comfortable with the looks of the outgoing model. Toyota delayed updating the transmission for years and slap a ten speed into the new one. That could have improved the outgoing model's dismal MPG, its biggest challenge in this Prius driven economy.
I nearly bought a F150 or Ram just as Covid struck. Chose to keep the $$$ in my pocket. But now the need for a roomy interstate cruiser can't be delayed any longer....I'm actually borrowing a Suburban for next month's run to SC.......

· Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if anyone can do it reliably...it would be Toyota. Excited to see how things go. No matter how much we may dislike it, smaller/more powerful/more efficient engines are the future and turbos are a way to achieve that.
Well I suppose a similar engine has been in some of the Lexus sedans for a few years now. I do agree, they probably have it over-engineered for the task.

One things for sure is the resale value of the V8 Tundra just got higher. Pretty bold for Toyota to drop that iForce V8 that quickly.
Guess my Tundra will remain in the fleet for a lot longer.
No kidding. I think V8 trucks in general are getting more valuable as they slowly disappear.

Many of us are comfortable with the looks of the outgoing model. Toyota delayed updating the transmission for years and slap a ten speed into the new one. That could have improved the outgoing model's dismal MPG, its biggest challenge in this Prius driven economy.
I nearly bought a F150 or Ram just as Covid struck. Chose to keep the $$$ in my pocket. But now the need for a roomy interstate cruiser can't be delayed any longer....I'm actually borrowing a Suburban for next month's run to SC.......
It's hard to beat an American mega SUV for highway slogs. Especially the road work crazy I95 corridor, the suspension soaks up all the imperfections quite nicely.

· Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
866 Posts
A friend of mine mentioned they have a hybrid version coming out next March.

The 288-volt nickel-metal hydride battery pack for the hybrid system is mounted under the rear passenger seats in the i-Force Max version.

"Although the electric motor does the bulk of the work at lower speeds, once above 18 mph, the gasoline engine is constantly in operation,"

I'm super curious the mpg this thing will get. I'm sure it will be priced in the stratosphere 50k+ .... when's that CyberTruck coming out?

· Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A friend of mine mentioned they have a hybrid version coming out next March.

The 288-volt nickel-metal hydride battery pack for the hybrid system is mounted under the rear passenger seats in the i-Force Max version.

"Although the electric motor does the bulk of the work at lower speeds, once above 18 mph, the gasoline engine is constantly in operation,"

I'm super curious the mpg this thing will get. I'm sure it will be priced in the stratosphere 50k+ .... when's that CyberTruck coming out?
It is interesting. A true hybrid unlike the Ram's setup (meaning it can move the vehicle on electricity alone) but not quite as far as the F150 Powerboost. I'd think the upgrade over the regular turbo-6 will be in the $2kish range. If they offer this engine on all models, it could be available under $50k on lower trims and smaller cabs.

· Registered
126 Posts
I don't necessarily think losing the V8 in the old model will make the older models more desirable. Ford pulled off the twin turbo V6 and by all accounts it is a very durable engine. The only complaints I've heard from friends who own them is that real world economy is less than expected. Unless Toyota has issues with the new motor, and being Toyota I would be surprised they didn't vet the heck out of this thing before getting it into the market, I think it will be fine.

We have a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 mild hybrid that is less than a year old. Fabulous truck. Was going to buy the Tundra until we drove the Ram. No comparison in terms of ride quality or interior fitments, except that Toyota has the long term reliability/durability reputation. This new Tundra looks much more modern, although I think the Ram still looks better and less awkward. But if they get the build quality right, and again it is Toyota so I would doubt there will be issues, this will be a huge hit for Toyota.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,011 Posts
I don't necessarily think losing the V8 in the old model will make the older models more desirable. Ford pulled off the twin turbo V6 and by all accounts it is a very durable engine. The only complaints I've heard from friends who own them is that real world economy is less than expected. Unless Toyota has issues with the new motor, and being Toyota I would be surprised they didn't vet the heck out of this thing before getting it into the market, I think it will be fine.

We have a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 mild hybrid that is less than a year old. Fabulous truck. Was going to buy the Tundra until we drove the Ram. No comparison in terms of ride quality or interior fitments, except that Toyota has the long term reliability/durability reputation. This new Tundra looks much more modern, although I think the Ram still looks better and less awkward. But if they get the build quality right, and again it is Toyota so I would doubt there will be issues, this will be a huge hit for Toyota.
But I can still get a V8 engine in a new F150 if I want one.

· Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
866 Posts

What transmission is in your Ram? Any issues so far???

· Registered
126 Posts
In response to the above question, issues with anything on the new Ram. Drivetrain, fit and finish, comfort, all excellent. Even the panonroof doesn’t rattle when open or closed. Ram did their homework on this one. Even tows over 11k pounds. So short answer is no problems. Only wonky thing is sometimes the Sirius doesn’t load right away. They have downloaded a few software upgrades and it has gotten better but not perfect. But our ‘16 4runner has also had similar minor tech issues like iPhone upgrades causing the Bluetooth to crash randomly despite numerous attempts to address with standard fixes. My view is that some tech glitches here and there are expected. But overall the Ram is fabulous, no issues.

As far as V8 availability on the Tundra I doubt again it will be an issue. On a 3/4 ton pick up, the lack of a large V8 would be an issue for people who regularly tow and don’t want the higher running costs associated with the cleaner new diesels as they get up in miles. But for a half ton and with Toyota’s reputation, I really doubt it will be an issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.