Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

False advertising

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2022 Pilot Touring FWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I would like your opinions. I have a 2018 Honda Accord that blows crisp cold air. The internal AC Vent temperature reads at 44 degrees (3 inches in thermometer on the middle vent). I just bought a new Honda Pilot Touring and its AC output is pathetic. Its internal AC vent temperature doesn't go below 58 degrees making the actual output temperature around 68 degrees. I've taken the car back twice to see if they could fix it but they said there is nothing they can do that is the way the car was designed. They keep telling me because Texas is hot and humid is the problem it doesn't blow cold. I would believe that crap except I have my Accord that blows colder air. You can't tell me that story when one blows internally at 44 degrees and the other is 58 degrees. If they want to put out a disclaimer that your A/C will only blow cold air if your ambient air temperature and humidity values are within a certain parameters would be one thing, but then who would buy the car. To me this is false advertising or maybe fall under the Lemon Law, what are your thoughts.

· Registered
325 Posts
Normal? No way, but to make your point, check another Pilot that is same as your model/year @ the dealer. Contact Honda of North America and see what they say...good luck.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
You can't tell me that story when one blows internally at 44 degrees and the other is 58 degrees.
Comparing 2 models to each other isn't an apples to apples comparison due to different designs. With that said your pilot a/c sounds weak. There are pressure and temp charts in the service information to tell if the a/c is performing to design specs. If they take ambient temp, humidity, vent temp, and high/low pressures, they can show you on the charts.This will determine if it's operating in or out of specs.

· Registered
2022 Pilot Touring FWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Comparing 2 models to each other isn't an apples to apples comparison due to different designs. With that said your pilot a/c sounds weak. There are pressure and temp charts in the service information to tell if the a/c is performing to design specs. If they take ambient temp, humidity, vent temp, and high/low pressures, they can show you on the charts.This will determine if it's operating in or out of specs.
I understand what you are saying. However as a consumer when you buy a car no matter which model, and the vehicle displays that my A/C or heater works at a certain temperature my assumption is, that the output temperature will be at that displayed temperature. Consumers shouldn't have to worry about will this vehicle work within the design parameters only if you live in a certain climates. There are complaints in Canada that some Honda vehicles will only blow heat up to 60 degrees when its -30 degrees outside. Their expectation is that vehicles output temperature should blow heat at 75 degrees if they wanted it to.

· Registered
301 Posts
Someone mentioned newer Pilots have variable compressors. If that's true, "single" compressor kicks in 100% when turned on. "Variable" compressor adjusts output % according to temperature difference to conserve energy. Looks like your new Pilot has variable compressor.

· Registered
2022 Pilot Touring FWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How are you measuring 44 and 58 internal vs vent temp? Are both veh auto hvac, and both being compared in auto at the same temp? Are the windshields in either veh tinted?
We put a thermostat meter in to the center vent down 3 inches. This is how we measured both vehicles. I'm not sure about the windshield. In the shade we received the same results. Honda's techs received the same results with the thermostat gauge they use.

Again to me it shouldn't make a difference on design if the display shows a temperature as a consumer my vehicle should be able to produce those results. That is like selling me a car that says it will goes 100 miles per hour but really only goes 65. If car maker wants to say well that is the design and toss in a disclaimer showing all the parameters that is one thing. Then I as a consumer can make a more sound decision if I want to buy that car, because the climate I live in will produce poor results in that particular vehicle.

As it is I just found out that it does not Tow 5000lbs because its FWD. It only pulls 3500lbs. But do you think that make that disclaimer anywhere clear to consumers. Nope you have to do a lot of digging to find that out. You have to purchase the AWD in order for it to pull 5000lbs. Thankfully, I don't need to pull that much weight, but I do need the 3500lbs.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
We put a thermostat meter in to the center vent down 3 inches. This is how we measured both vehicles. I'm not sure about the windshield. In the shade we received the same results. Honda's techs received the same results with the thermostat gauge they use.

Again to me it shouldn't make a difference on design if the display shows a temperature as a consumer my vehicle should be able to produce those results. That is like selling me a car that says it will goes 100 miles per hour but really only goes 65. If car maker wants to say well that is the design and toss in a disclaimer showing all the parameters that is one thing. Then I as a consumer can make a more sound decision if I want to buy that car, because the climate I live in will produce poor results in that particular vehicle.

As it is I just found out that it does not Tow 5000lbs because its FWD. It only pulls 3500lbs. But do you think that make that disclaimer anywhere clear to consumers. Nope you have to do a lot of digging to find that out. You have to purchase the AWD in order for it to pull 5000lbs. Thankfully, I don't need to pull that much weight, but I do need the 3500lbs.
Depending on what part of Texas you are in, you can always go to any Honda dealer for warranty work which this should be covered under unless you are over the 36000 miles. There were some earlier model Pilots (3rd generations) that had leaks from the factory around or near the evaporator I believe. Has the dealership checked the amount of refrigerant in the system? My 2019 which I learned has the variable compressor (I believe on the Touring and up models only) has cold a/c. We have traveled through Texas and the deep south in extreme heat and never had a problem. I think it is something wrong with your system.

Towing 5000 lbs also required along with the AWD the transmission cooler which is NOT a factory installed part. Who told you it would tow 5000 lbs, the salesman or something you assumed?

· Registered
1,443 Posts
I just bought a new Honda Pilot Touring and its AC output is pathetic. Its internal AC vent temperature doesn't go below 58 degrees making the actual output temperature around 68 degrees.
I think I, and others, are confused where you measured 58F and where 68F. As for vent temps, Honda doesn't state and you won't get a Lemon Law remedy on vent temps you are "expecting". And are you saying the system can't achieve and maintain a reasonable (70F) cabin SET point within 15 to 20 minutes of driving?

What are the vent temps if you adjust the set point to LO, move the fan speed to 2 or 3 bars, and driving at least 25mph?

Variable capacity compressors will run flat out (100%) for large temp differences, like starting a car on hot and cold days, then modulate downward, and adjust the fan speed down, and likely vent temps upwards (not evyerone likes a 45F draft on their knuckles) as the system nears its set point (whatever you set it fro on the dash). Many Toyota's--like my '08 Highlander-- have had these compressors since the mid-2000's, and they work fine.

As for towing, well, it states in the Owner's manual, in the brochures, on the website, top Googling results, state the towing ratings for FWD and AWD. I don't tow, and knew before purchase 3500lb was the FWD limit.

Reactions: ls973800

· Registered
1,077 Posts
On the dashboard settings. View attachment 160379
If your wanting the air coming out of the vents to be that exact temp, your going to be disappointed. Auto hvac will vary the temp based on what it thinks it needs to keep the cabin at that temp. Factors including, outside temp, cabin temp, cabin humidity, sunload, and veh mph all effect the vent temp.

· Registered
2022 Pilot Touring FWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If your wanting the air coming out of the vents to be that exact temp, your going to be disappointed. Auto hvac will vary the temp based on what it thinks it needs to keep the cabin at that temp. Factors including, outside temp, cabin temp, cabin humidity, sunload, and veh mph all effect the vent temp.
Disappointed is an understatement. If I wanted the cars opinion I would have asked for it. At this point is where the smart cars are doing consumers no favors. Maybe they should change the dashboard so consumers have no temperature options, instead put in a Magic Eight ball button that constantly says "sorry not today", or Try again tomorrow.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
I still believe you need to try a different dealership with the A/C problem. You are under warranty and it appears to not be functioning as designed. What part of Texas are you in? A major metroplex area will have numerous Honda dealerships that you could choose from.

· Registered
504 Posts
Select the AUTO and SYNCH buttons and dial down the temp until it says “LO“. This is the max AC setting. If the cabin is hot, the AC will blow about 60F until the cabin temp comes down. After 10 mins or so the cabin should be cool to the point that you will need to raise the temp setting to be comfortable. On hot days the AC will perform better in RECIRC mode. Your pic shows RECIRC is OFF. Rule of thumb is AC will blow 30-35F below the HVAC input temp. If you have RECIRC OFF then the HVAC input is outside air and 95F outside will result in ~60F out of the vent.

· Registered
1,443 Posts
Your pic shows RECIRC is OFF.
Good catch!

For most AC systems (including this Pilot), at high fan speeds and high humidity, you can expect about 30F differential, between ingest air temp and vent temp. If you leave the system in FRESH, then it just keeps ingesting 100F+ humid air (many parts of TX), where the duct temps might not ever get much below 70F.

In RECIRC (mine defaults to this), as the cabin temp drops, this also lowers the ingest temp AND humidity, where the system dehumidifes the cabin, where 40F differential is possible. Lower fan speeds also increase the differential, where a fixed capacity compressor will just cycle to keep from freezing, and a variable capacity compressor will throttle down to to keep the evap from freezing.

I also noticed from the service manual that the climate system is designed to raise vent temp as the system approaches its set temp, and maintains it about 5 degrees below set temp (in AC mode) to increase comfort. It uses a combo of compressor cycling (or throttling), blower speed and blend door to achieve it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts