Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Thoughts? Sounds like it retains its overall size, so it's a little smaller than a Pilot. Full disclosure, I've owned 2 Pathfinders (R50s) and have been on the lookout for a low mileage V8 R51 for a while now. While I was seriously hoping they'd put it on the Frontier frame since they revealed both on the same day, I got half my wishes with the CVT being removed (in favor of the ZF 9 speed used in the Pilot, oh Nissan why couldn't you find a better unit to use) and the less minivan-like looks.

Interesting note, it's got higher than average tow rating of 6000 lbs... most of the other front drive based SUVs are at 5000 lbs. That extra 1,000 lbs really does open up quite a bit more opportunities for travel trailers.

I like it, I think it will be a better seller than the current Pathfinder.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts

Thoughts? Sounds like it retains its overall size, so it's a little smaller than a Pilot. Full disclosure, I've owned 2 Pathfinders (R50s) and have been on the lookout for a low mileage V8 R51 for a while now. While I was seriously hoping they'd put it on the Frontier frame since they revealed both on the same day, I got half my wishes with the CVT being removed (in favor of the ZF 9 speed used in the Pilot, oh Nissan why couldn't you find a better unit to use) and the less minivan-like looks.

Interesting note, it's got higher than average tow rating of 6000 lbs... most of the other front drive based SUVs are at 5000 lbs. That extra 1,000 lbs really does open up quite a bit more opportunities for travel trailers.

View attachment 144811

View attachment 144812

View attachment 144813
Mikey likes it! I'm a longtime Nissan fan but their CVTs turned me off. Glad to see they dropped it ... but ... I'm not impressed with their replacement choice. bleh

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts

View attachment 144811

View attachment 144812

View attachment 144813
Its a little crazy overall how long in the tooth Nissan products are outside the Rogue.

But I think this looks good and the 6k lb towing is a move on the right direction.

Definitely better looking than the Palisades.

Better to search for an old Infiniti QX4.
Nice!!! I got to drive the 1st Gen 20 years ago when I was in high school.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
I drove the last gen as a rental. For a 940 mile one way trip it was comfortable and honestly surprised me. The last gen did similar towing numbers but you'd probably burn up the CVT doing it. Lets see how Nissan suffers with the ZF9HP box. Everyone else did.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,404 Posts
I drove the last gen as a rental. For a 940 mile one way trip it was comfortable and honestly surprised me. The last gen did similar towing numbers but you'd probably burn up the CVT doing it. Lets see how Nissan suffers with the ZF9HP box. Everyone else did.
I wonder how much of the issues people had was just not understanding how the transmission learns driving habits. I’ve never driven a ZF transmission do I don’t know what it’s like, but I always wondered if some people just didn’t know how it worked.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mikey likes it! I'm a longtime Nissan fan but their CVTs turned me off. Glad to see they dropped it ... but ... I'm not impressed with their replacement choice. bleh
Mikey (me) does like it! So what don't you like about it? The fact that it didn't go back to being a 4Runner type of vehicle? While I really like the new MDX it is a very busy interior, I quite like the layout in the Pathfinder looking less busy.

Better to search for an old Infiniti QX4.
I had 2 R50 Pathfinders, the model which the QX4 was based on... I'd take my '01 with the VQ35 and 5 speed manual again... note the Xterra Supercharged wheels.

Its a little crazy overall how long in the tooth Nissan products are outside the Rogue.

But I think this looks good and the 6k lb towing is a move on the right direction.

Definitely better looking than the Palisades.

Nice!!! I got to drive the 1st Gen 20 years ago when I was in high school.
The Altima and Sentra are both brand new models on new chassis in the last couple years... The Frontier was just revealed, though it is on the old frame. But that doesn't bother me since that frame is fully boxed and has been lauded as far superior to any other midsize truck in rigidity since it was created.

1st gen Pathfinders were true tractors, that VG30 was not a powerful engine but it ran FOREVER since it was so understressed.

Yea the last gen certainly had the rental car looks but it was a much better drive than I expected and the switchgear all had that Japanese quality feel, unlike my Traverse. Hopefully the ZF 9 speed is well sorted by now for their sake.

I wonder how much of the issues people had was just not understanding how the transmission learns driving habits. I’ve never driven a ZF transmission do I don’t know what it’s like, but I always wondered if some people just didn’t know how it worked.
To some degree, but when people are complaining after 10k miles it should be fully learned in my opinion. Honestly the transmission complaints have gone WAY down in the last 3 years so I think Honda sorted the hardware and software issues.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently they have updated the AWD system, it is no longer a "slip then grip" style AWD it is more like the VTM-4 system. I haven't seen anything about mechanical torque vectoring so that's likely don't via braking. Some of those systems are great, some not so much.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It looks much improved and pretty much a direct competitor to the Pilot; one or the other might edge out in a comparo. But assuming you can find one without excessive markup and have a reasonably close Kia dealer, I'd take a Telluride or Sorento over either unless there was some specific feature (like the 6K towing) that was controlling.

I had a 1st gen Pathfinder and it was a good SUV. 2nd gen was nice too, but they really lost their way after this. Hopefully this turns the corner.

- Mark

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Mikey (me) does like it! So what don't you like about it? The fact that it didn't go back to being a 4Runner type of vehicle? While I really like the new MDX it is a very busy interior, I quite like the layout in the Pathfinder looking less busy.
I like the looks ... just wish they hadn't picked that 9sp at.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
A v8? Is it transverse? Sorry, never had a Nissan, etc.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
A v8? Is it transverse? Sorry, never had a Nissan, etc.
V6. From the article ...

"The outgoing Pathfinder’s platform was revised and modified for duty in this 2022 model. Nissan’s 3.5-liter V6 carries over unchanged with 284 horsepower and 259 pound-feet of torque, but there’s one big powertrain change we’ll all be thankful for: no more CVT. Instead, the Pathfinder will shift via a new nine-speed automatic transmission supplied by ZF. We’ve had misgivings with the ZF nine-speed auto in other vehicles before, so let’s hope the one in the Pathfinder is satisfactory. Front-wheel drive is still standard, but a new all-wheel drive system is available. It’s a new direct coupling design, so it doesn’t need to sense front wheel slip to begin sending torque rearward. Of which, 50% of torque can go to the rear wheels, and Nissan says its off-road performance is better with the new design. Ground clearance is only up by about two tenths of an inch (now 7.2 inches), though, so don’t get any rock crawling ideas in your head." .

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
I like the looks ... just wish they hadn't picked that 9sp at.
You gotta remember, ZF makes them to manufacturer specs.

It's not 1 size fits all.

In 2019, Honda changed the hardware and software in the 9 speed..... they order ZF produces.

Sometimes ya order a turd, that's what you get.

Anything is better than a CVT

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've watched a few "first look" videos and I like what I see. It may be based on the current chassis, but it's a complete overhaul other than the carryover engine. It's capable of 6000 lbs towing and purportedly able to carry 4x8 sheet goods flat in the back (mentioned by TFL guys and Alex on Autos).

Anxious to see what Honda brings to the table with the next Pilot/Passport. Seems like it's taking forever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts