Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes I would certainly think Honda would continue to share platforms. Which would mean Pilot would also get the 3” longer wheelbase

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Isn't the current Pilot longer than the MDX? It could be the MDX sales hurt because they shrunk the 3rd row to "Lowlander" size and they are bringing it back to Pilot size. Clearly the 3rd row will still have 2 seats compared to the Pilot's 3 seats.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The 10th gen Accord was the guinea pig for the new Honda/Acura design language, and they're implementing it everywhere now. The interior of the MDX prototype will look very familiar to current-gen Accord owners.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't the current Pilot longer than the MDX? It could be the MDX sales hurt because they shrunk the 3rd row to "Lowlander" size and they are bringing it back to Pilot size. Clearly the 3rd row will still have 2 seats compared to the Pilot's 3 seats.
Current Pilot and MDX share the same 111 wheelbase, dispite the Pilot being longer (larger) overall. If the MDX is growing, so "should" the Pilot since wheelbase is one those hard points.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
Wow it looks great!
I wish they'd put a slightly more powerful engine in the Pilot. If it's bigger than the MDX and carries more passengers, it should have more power.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm so happy that they kept the v6 in the MDX. I thought the MDX would unfortunately get the 4 cyl turbo that the TLX has, but thank god it doesn't.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Current Pilot and MDX share the same 111 wheelbase, dispite the Pilot being longer (larger) overall. If the MDX is growing, so "should" the Pilot since wheelbase is one those hard points.
Makes sense. I wonder if they will align in overall length or the Pilot stays a little longer like the current models. I'm intrigued.

Wow it looks great!
I wish they'd put a slightly more powerful engine in the Pilot. If it's bigger than the MDX and carries more passengers, it should have more power.
It does look really good, it looks smaller than it is IMO which I like. I haven't heard many complain about the power in the Pilot, I find our '15 with 250hp and 5 speed a little wheezy at times but our Traverse has similar power to the Pilot with a 6 speed and it's sufficient for anything we need, including high traffic merging on 65 mph roads.

Now sure, I'd love a Durango R/T or SRT because POWER but these feel competent.

I'm so happy that they kept the v6 in the MDX. I thought the MDX would unfortunately get the 4 cyl turbo that the TLX has, but thank god it doesn't.
Quite frankly I was shocked the base engine wasn't the I4-T. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come out a year or two later.

Honestly I'm a little disappointed the TLX and MDX didn't come out with a new V6. It tells me Honda is still planning to kill off the V6 in the future. These brand new products with a great design could have been the perfect opportunity to bring out a clean sheet DOHC/timing chain design, not strap a couple turbos on the J series to limp it along another 5-10 years.

The sticker price is going to be crazy for the type S. Why can’t they just make the 3.5 turbo?
It will be cheaper than a GLE43... or X5 of comparable spec.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
So how does this work? Does Honda also make Acura?
Does Acura have it's own factories?
I know, I'm uninformed about this.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
So how does this work? Does Honda also make Acura?
Does Acura have it's own factories?
I know, I'm uninformed about this.
Most manufacturers make platform mates at the same factory unless the demand is so high they need more than one to sell all of the vehicles made on that platform. I don't know exactly where the MDX is manufactured but I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's in Alabama with the Pilot.

Edit: Just googled it and found a Honda press release. The MDX is made in Alabama and Ohio. Most Acura models are made in Ohio but the MDX was solely at Alabama until they needed additional capacity.

Also, American Honda Motor Company, Inc. owns many subsidiaries, including Acura, Hondajet, Honda Motorcycles, Honda Power Equipment, etc. I may be using the wrong terms but they are all under one umbrella.

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD, 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
50 Posts
According to this interview with Acura’s brand officer, it sounds like Acura is trying to differentiate itself from Honda with unique platforms, where the TLX is the first example of this. This suggests to me that the MDX may be unique to Acura and not carry over to the next Pilot.

For cost sharing, it would make sense to make them both on the same platform as per past models, but I get the impression that Acura is refocusing on being unique and knows it needs unique underpinnings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
According to this interview with Acura’s brand officer, it sounds like Acura is trying to differentiate itself from Honda with unique platforms, where the TLX is the first example of this. This suggests to me that the MDX may be unique to Acura and not carry over to the next Pilot.

For cost sharing, it would make sense to make them both on the same platform as per past models, but I get the impression that Acura is refocusing on being unique and knows it needs unique underpinnings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I'm hearing from him is:

"We develop a superior, stiffer, lighter, more efficient, etc. platform that is unique to Acura and the 2021 TLX and 2022 MDX! But in 2 years the new Honda Accord and Pilot will poach the frame and market their vehicles as using a luxury chassis developed by Acura so we won't talk about it being unique and dedicated at that time".

Look back at Honda/Acuras codevelopment history, this is pretty dead on.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
The Pilot and MDX have always been brothers or sisters. The current MDX came out two years before the current gen Pilot did, so don't assume that there is just a year between before the Pilot is replaced.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
So I stand somewhat corrected possibly? I was looking into this last night, on Acurazine they are saying the V6T in the TLX and MDX is based on the J series architecture but has DOHC? No mention of timing belts or chains so I'm interested to see more information about this engine as it comes out.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
The DOHC patent app is some three years old I think. Plenty of time to build and test. Its a great way to improve an already great engine.
My only puzzle engine wise is the giant gap in engine size between the 2.0T and the 3.5.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The DOHC patent app is some three years old I think. Plenty of time to build and test. Its a great way to improve an already great engine.
My only puzzle engine wise is the giant gap in engine size between the 2.0T and the 3.5.
The AZ thread I was reading was speculating that we could see an NA 3.5 and the 3.0T. So the 2.0T stays pretty much where it's at in terms of power, the NA 3.5 DOHC could step into the 300-325hp role like the old J37 and the 3.5T could push upmarket with a boost in HP/TQ ratings.

The TLX is not currently slated to get the NA V6 where the MDX is not slated to get the 2.0T. I think you could see both of those engines in both vehicles if they sell well and Acura sees the potential to expand their market.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What I'm hearing from him is:

"We develop a superior, stiffer, lighter, more efficient, etc. platform that is unique to Acura and the 2021 TLX and 2022 MDX! But in 2 years the new Honda Accord and Pilot will poach the frame and market their vehicles as using a luxury chassis developed by Acura so we won't talk about it being unique and dedicated at that time".

Look back at Honda/Acuras codevelopment history, this is pretty dead on.
Honda doesn't seem to name their platform(s), but I'm going to bet it's all going to be the same. Toyota build everything off of TNGA. The Sienna is the "same" as the Corolla. Everything VW is MQB. Subaru's "Global". History does repeat itself where every Chrysler was built off of a K-Car platform. Lee Iacocca was a genius.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts