Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were pretty light on any mechanical changes, so I'm wondering if this is merely an appearance package or if it does have more capability.

So this competes with Murano, Edge, Blazer, Grand Cherokee (maybe not so much anymore since it's moving upmarket in pricing), Santa Fe, Venza in terms of being midsized 2 rows. I know technically the 4Runner is similar in size but I tell people it's like comparing apples and broccoli - the body on frame, solid rear axle, lockers and drivetrain in the 4Runner are clearly designed for a different purpose and have the requisite positives (off road capability) and minuses (fuel economy, ride and handling).

· Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,502 Posts
Classic urban assault package. "Trader Joe's and costco". Just need a roof basket and a defender first aid kit on the side window.
I think you nailed it. Perfect for the soccer dad in his "I can't believe I'm going to stuck spending the next 10 years shuttling my kids to soccer practice" mid life crisis....

· Registered
208 Posts
Well, if there was a decent Honda made suspension upgrade such as a lift kit and coil shocks and skid plates, I would consider some combination of those for my Pilot. It would make even more sense on a Passport.

Now, imagine you are buying a new car and you have a trim you can chose that would give you extra 2-3 inches, AT tires, skid plates, better approach/departure angles from different bumpers, offroad tuned shocks, etc? Honda's AWD is very, very capable. 8 inches of clearance on Passport is lacking a bit. Make 10 inch standard and add some beefed up parts. And no, 4Runner is not going to replace Pilot/Passport in its current incarnation. I am still getting 27 mpg on a hwy after 2 inch lift, AT tires +1 inch in size (approximately 10 inch ground clearance) and I can go most places 4Runner can go.

· Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,887 Posts
Since iVTM-4 is active all the time and there is no way to turn it off, do you think off roading as long and hard as one would with a 4Runner would prematurely wear out the drive train? The 4Runner's "system" is very old school I would imagine is much more simple which would be a significant benefit for long days of difficult terrain.

· Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since iVTM-4 is active all the time and there is no way to turn it off, do you think off roading as long and hard as one would with a 4Runner would prematurely wear out the drive train? The 4Runner's "system" is very old school I would imagine is much more simple which would be a significant benefit for long days of difficult terrain.
The rear diff on the PIlot holds a surprisingly large volume, and I think it's for this reason. It can stay cool in most situation, but I'd certainly look at changing the fluid more frequently.

I would really try and limit the slow, off idle stuff in the Pilot. I think that's where the heat can build up in the transmission and rear diff. Roads where you can go 3-5 mph should be off the torque converter and you hit a random obstacle every once in a while. It sounds to me like this is the type of offroading @kslu_wa is mostly doing, and I'm not surprised his/her Pilot excels in this role.

· Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,502 Posts
The Passport seems to be lifted in comparison to the Pilot. At least that was my impression. But after market lifts exist as well.

Put a Passport on 18 inch rims (perhaps the ones offered by Honda on the Ridgeline with better offset) and a taller off road type tire, and most people would max their limits out before the Passport does. The PP is so similar to the first gen Pilot in external dimensions and I took mine all kinds of places the Honda Marketing boys never showed it could go.

· Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now this one would be pretty cool, more along the lines of what I expected from Trailsport (at least the lift and wheels/tires).

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

· Registered
2004 pilot
30 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.